• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your first sovereign

Hyperpyron

54 minutes ago, Hyperpyron said:

Mine was a 1915 King George V, just a few days ago, I am rather fresh in the sector ^_^

GS-1.png

Under light:

GS-2.png

Diameter and height looks as it should, weight too. I think it is real. Under the microscope, it looks very scratched and damaged thought; to be expected.

Looks fine to me Congratulations 👍🏻

You’re “I think it’s real” is only to be expected with it being your first…the more you see and handle them you just get a feeling for them.

Because of the specific gravity of 22ct gold 1 really easy way to spot fakes is as follows..

Weight, Diameter and Thickness are key, if one of these is out it’s fake UNLESS it’s a fake made of 22ct gold.

Nice 1st Sov 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, Hyperpyron said:

That is a simple, but crucial question ^_^

Generally, I enjoy to live a life a bit under my pay-grade, so I can effectively save money.

Sovereigns, have a bit of a magic aura for me; and they might even carry a bit of family history.  

My great grand father during the mid-war times, used to save always in Sovereigns, due to the high inflation in his country, Greece.

In fact, the family survived the German occupation on stacked Sovereigns (the good old Drachma back then soon became less valued than todays toilet paper), while the neighbors literally starved to death (a significant percentage of the population died on famine back then). 

I still have some pretty old sovereigns from them.  Some in the form of pendants (that seems to be have been a hit in any respectable wife's dowry), or others drilled(!) and chained together on the context of some weird local folk women's uniform piece 🙃

So for me, the Sovereigns are something like between heritage and the last line of defense in times of hardship. I would like to have a certain portion of my wealth on them, they are holy items 😀

But, I certainly do not need any fakes in my stack...

Really interesting.

Speaking of the Drachma...

signal-2023-08-25-21-35-14-757.jpg

45 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Really interesting.

Speaking of the Drachma...

signal-2023-08-25-21-35-14-757.jpg

modo-φάντασμα, in 1942, it started like with 10.000

IMG_20211118_132221-750x750.jpg

and I think a few weeks after your 5.000.000 note, it came to 100.000.000.000  (100 billion) 😱

IMG_20211118_135108%20(1)-750x750.jpg

yes, the above note say 100 ΔΙΣΕΚΑΤΟΜΜΥΡΙΑ  https://www.wordreference.com/gren/δισεκατομμύριο

https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn524903

So, as everyone can imagine, one could really appreciate a gold sovereign back then 🙂

Anyway, the first sovereign I bought myself is the one cited at the very beginning, and I am really proud of it. Long live the Royal Mint!  😛

Edited by Hyperpyron

1 hour ago, Hyperpyron said:

That is a simple, but crucial question ^_^

Generally, I enjoy to live a life a bit under my pay-grade, so I can effectively save money.

Sovereigns, have a bit of a magic aura for me; and they might even carry a bit of family history.  

My great grand father during the mid-war times, used to save always in Sovereigns, due to the high inflation in his country, Greece.

In fact, the family survived the German occupation on stacked Sovereigns (the good old Drachma back then soon became less valued than todays toilet paper), while the neighbors literally starved to death (a significant percentage of the population died on famine back then). 

I still have some pretty old sovereigns from them.  Some in the form of pendants (that seems to be have been a hit in any respectable wife's dowry), or others drilled(!) and chained together on the context of some weird local folk women's uniform piece 🙃

So for me, the Sovereigns are something like between heritage and the last line of defense in times of hardship. I would like to have a certain portion of my wealth on them, they are holy items 😀

But, I certainly do not need any fakes in my stack...

Hello and welcome!!

Thank you for telling us your history, it really brings home the reason that many have held sovereigns over time.

I know that, as a couple, we hold them for security for ourselves and wider family, should the need arise.

We hope that they will never be needed and that they can be utilised in time by others.

All is well and I hope that it will remain so 🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).