• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Metal detecting

I don't, but like the idea of it and have considered it recently. I've just watched the series 'Detectorists' too, which was an enjoyable watch. 

Time and finding a permission seem to be the main hurdles though. Maybe in the future...

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

I bought a good metal detector two years ago and still have not started looking for items yet. Will start with my own garden to master the right set up.

Will bury some items and see what depth it can still pick up a good signal.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

My brother  is in to his detecting. Some of his best finds , coin wise. Has been a half sovereign. and a few hammered silver coins. He regularly fines rings and bit's of jewellery. I just wind him up calling him a night hawk. He's not but it's great some times to push his buttons. Its an interesting hobby if you get the right permission. Boring as hell if not.

2 hours ago, iacabu said:

I don't, but like the idea of it and have considered it recently. I've just watched the series 'Detectorists' too, which was an enjoyable watch. 

Time and finding a permission seem to be the main hurdles though. Maybe in the future...

I have watched detectorists also ,very funny . There's a Christmas special episode out there somewhere if you haven't seen that one.

2 hours ago, Spyder said:

I bought a good metal detector two years ago and still have not started looking for items yet. Will start with my own garden to master the right set up.

Will bury some items and see what depth it can still pick up a good signal.

I'm looking to buy one and beaches are free to detect I believe between high and low water marks, looked at a club it was £20 a year but I think you need a licence also . Good luck

46 minutes ago, Skybadger said:

Been thinking of trying this for a while. What's a good detector to get?

I'm stuck as don't want to buy one then see a better one lol been reviewing minelab vanquish 440 and xterra Pro both £299 😅

53 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

My brother  is in to his detecting. Some of his best finds , coin wise. Has been a half sovereign. and a few hammered silver coins. He regularly fines rings and bit's of jewellery. I just wind him up calling him a night hawk. He's not but it's great some times to push his buttons. Its an interesting hobby if you get the right permission. Boring as hell if not.

Does sound  gooood 👍 

3 minutes ago, shiney said:

I'm looking to buy one and beaches are free to detect I believe between high and low water marks, looked at a club it was £20 a year but I think you need a licence also . Good luck

Yes you need a licence 

1 minute ago, shiney said:

Well I was looking at minelab detectors, £299 for vanquish 440 or xterra pro also £299 which can be submerged 5m in water!

My brother has a few Minelab detectors. Not sure of the models. He loves them but he's not had much luck on the beaches. Not sure if it him, Machine or just poor places.

2 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Yes you need a licence 

My brother has a few Minelab detectors. Not sure of the models. He loves them but he's not had much luck on the beaches. Not sure if it him, Machine or just poor places.

Yeah what I can see on YouTube it's lost change and odd jewelry on beaches , it's the land that draws me in. 

Mine is a Minelab. Can not remember the model. My advice is to buy a medium price range. Cheap is a waste of money, expensive, what if you don't like the hobby. 

You can always buy better later and you will not lose much on an average range one when you sell. 

Beach, will cause more damage then it's worth.  If you were in a dry climate like California or Australia then excellent. That what many do there, early morning after the day before to find lost jewellery and coins. 

Edited by Spyder

8 minutes ago, shiney said:

Probably the only hobby that gives you money! 

I buy sovereigns and then sell some, it is a hobby that give you money also

3 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Mine is a Minelab. Can not remember the model. My advice is to buy a medium price range. Cheap is a waste of money, expensive, what if you don't like the hobby. 

You can always buy better later and you will not lose much on an average range one sell. 

Beach, will cause more damage then it's worth.  If you were in a dry climate like California or Australia then excellent. That what many do there, early morning after the day before to find lost jewellery and coins. 

Thanks for the info. Wasn't keen on the beach as salt water crystallises and expands , sounds soul destroying on a new detector. 

3 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I buy sovereigns and then sell some, it is a hobby that give you money also

Your right lol , I like the old sovereigns at a good price 🤣 just got 1908 only half tho. Just like having diff sizes sometimes.... 

9 hours ago, shiney said:

I have watched detectorists also ,very funny . There's a Christmas special episode out there somewhere if you haven't seen that one.

Yeah, it's on iplayer. 

Beaches would be the main place for me if I do start, as it's only a 5 min walk from my house and don't need permission. 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

I've been detecting a few years, I have a couple of permissions locally and also go on organised digs with clubs,

There are a lot of clubs on Facebook now which are free to join.  They will put up their digs and state the number of people who can attend and its just a case of clicking going, though some fill up fast.  What clubs to join will depend on the area you live.  I am in the Midlands and there are three of four really good clubs with digs most weekends and even some mid-week digs near(ish) me

My current detector is a Nokta Makro Simplex+ which is a mid-range machine.  If you do start you will need insurance, best way is to get NCMD membership which provides insurance, its only a few quid a year and required for a lot of the organised digs anyway.

On 03/08/2023 at 08:13, Orpster said:

I've been detecting a few years, I have a couple of permissions locally and also go on organised digs with clubs,

There are a lot of clubs on Facebook now which are free to join.  They will put up their digs and state the number of people who can attend and its just a case of clicking going, though some fill up fast.  What clubs to join will depend on the area you live.  I am in the Midlands and there are three of four really good clubs with digs most weekends and even some mid-week digs near(ish) me

My current detector is a Nokta Makro Simplex+ which is a mid-range machine.  If you do start you will need insurance, best way is to get NCMD membership which provides insurance, its only a few quid a year and required for a lot of the organised digs anyway.

Thanks for the info , the simplex has good reviews! Checked ncmd and it alot cheaper than I thought! Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teknetics-G2-Metal-Detector-11-inch/dp/B0041LVUQ2

This is a good machine for the money, has extremely fast response time and the discrimination is very good.  (In basic terms you can fine tune the types of metal it will detect) it’s can differentiate and tell the difference of metal  detected. 

IMG_9818.png