• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any "LCS" in UK?

ConnorG

YouTube is dominated by the US market, and many of the gold stackers seem to have local coin shops/dealers that they can walk into and barter to a certain degree and get deals or simply buy their gold in person. Is there anywhere in the UK that we can do this? More specifically anywhere around South Wales? I tend to get paid in cash being self employed and would love to be able to put some aside and go to shop in person once a month and buy rather than do it online. There's just something about purchasing/selling to someone in person.

A lot of the large sellers on line have the option of calling in, however these a few and far between. Local to me I have a couple of shops that include some coins amongst other ‘collectable’ stuff and of course local pawn shops, unfortunately, neither of these two last options are great for any bargaining! There could also be a local auction house? Best deposit your money and then buy on here!

I’ve always wanted the local coin shop experience also but never really found any, I’ve came across come ‘antique’ shops with coin cabinets but that’s about it. I tend to go to the London coin fair which is on four times a year, which is enjoyable and chaotic all at the same time 🤔😬🤣

there is a shop in cardiff arcade but its not a lcs as you see in you tube.  they sell some coins.   not they sell coins.  apart from that nearest i know of is in birkenhead, then blackpool.  or soem may be nearer going east but dont know for sure.

google coin shop.

Edited by bluffer
didnt read properly!

11 hours ago, Mrpound said:

I’ve always wanted the local coin shop experience also but never really found any, I’ve came across come ‘antique’ shops with coin cabinets but that’s about it. I tend to go to the London coin fair which is on four times a year, which is enjoyable and chaotic all at the same time 🤔😬🤣

I'll have to have a look at the coin fair, new to all this so would be a good experience 👍🏼

I have a go too close to me, it's just a old school jewelry shop with a side line in coins. I go in every now and then but almost always pay over the odds. The problem is with local coin shops ist that they are always so expensive and difficult to get a deal. I also find this with coin fairs, of they see that you want the item then the price goes up. It's loads cheaper and easier to find what you want on line but I am with you it's nice to go and have a browse amongst others that share the hobby, it's just unfortunate you have to pay for it.

42 minutes ago, Nik said:

I don't know if this counts as I'm a novice.  Apparently there are a lot of branches.

eurochange | Gold

You need to compare their prices. If you visit one of the branches ensure you know what current prices are elsewhere. Just realised there is one near me, will do a bit of nosing later! … don’t know if you don’t ask!

1 minute ago, Petra said:

You need to compare their prices. If you visit one of the branches ensure you know what current prices are elsewhere. Just realised there is one near me, will do a bit of nosing later! … don’t know if you don’t ask!

If travelling costs compare favourably to shipping, that's a consideration.  There's also the security of knowing it won't get lost in the post and all the aggro that provides.

2 minutes ago, Nik said:

If travelling costs compare favourably to shipping, that's a consideration.  There's also the security of knowing it won't get lost in the post and all the aggro that provides.

There is always that, however, 99.999% of the time shipping isn’t an issue. If lost, it is the sender’s responsibility. There has been lots of discussion previously on here about shipping costs. All you can do is compare ‘free’ postage costs to items with additional postage costs. As well as obviously buying on here, you will notice some company names come up regularly as go to places … Chards, Tavex, Atkinsons etc. All depends on spot, just compare prices and if buying away from the forum, go to recognised proper dealers. Always use ‘special delivery’!

Next to nothing worth visiting in South wales. Cardiff arcade will charge you too much and the market dealer in Cardiff, Swansea and llanelli does not budge on prices. Hatton garden before the lock down had a couple of interesting spots but that has changed now for the worse, still OK for a walk around but don't expect excitement.

Don't get me wrong there are places you can have a nose but the days of buying at spot are long gone, keep your eyes open on here and you will not go far wrong imo

4 hours ago, Petra said:

Appears that they don’t sell coins anymore, certainly not the one here.

I used to be a frequent visitor to Smith's in York (on the Shambles) up until about 2005 when he sold up and Spink took it over. It went all bullion and modern proof sets after that. I believe it's still in business but back in independent hands, still mostly modern though, so no use to me.

Lincoln has an antique shop part way up the hill to the castle, where they have a range of coins on offer that I sometimes find the odd bargain amongst, and they have let me haggle in the past.

I can't think of anywhere else though in the North or East Midlands where a coin shop has jumped out at me.

I wish there was one to visit too. Chards is local to me but appointment only and nothing to browse. 

Otherwise, it's just the odd jewellers window to look in and moan at the extortionate prices they charge for a sovereign. 

I get the comment regarding security, but it's only the same as selling jewellery and they're every other shop where I live (each other shop being charity). 

I actually have an ambition to own a coin shop one day, but not with the expectations of making much money from it. Just a nice living doing something I enjoy. 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

Your only real option is to build up a repour with a local jewellers.

This will usually involve taking a bit of a hit at first but when they work out your serious you might get lucky. It dose help if you can walk in and put half a kilo on the counter not the 0.5g of scrap that usually walks through their doors and ask them for a reason not to take it elsewhere

Unfortunately far too many doomsdayers walk into these places and pay £45/oz on silver  and £1800+ on gold Britannia's because when the world economy breaks PM's will apparently hold their value even though money no longer exists and there nothing to value PM against other than tins of beans

1 hour ago, jamesGoddard said:

Your only real option is to build up a repour with a local jewellers.

This will usually involve taking a bit of a hit at first but when they work out your serious you might get lucky. It dose help if you can walk in and put half a kilo on the counter not the 0.5g of scrap that usually walks through their doors and ask them for a reason not to take it elsewhere

Unfortunately far too many doomsdayers walk into these places and pay £45/oz on silver  and £1800+ on gold Britannia's because when the world economy breaks PM's will apparently hold their value even though money no longer exists and there nothing to value PM against other than tins of beans

I have one local to me just like this. I worked out that if I want something I have to make it seem I am interested in something else. I have had a couple of sovereigns at spot this way. (Hertfordshire are if anyone is interested).

37 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I have one local to me just like this. I worked out that if I want something I have to make it seem I am interested in something else. I have had a couple of sovereigns at spot this way. (Hertfordshire are if anyone is interested).

Ahhh the garden path approach. This dose work but he will work out you're leading him on eventually, he's sweetening the pot hoping for a score and you've nutmegged him.

I've gone for the back scratcher showing that I have X kilo's he can take 4% on if he gives me the stuff I want for + 4%.  We'r at the point now when ill get a phone call if he gets anything he thinks I'm into.

PM's have much greater buying power than cash if only I knew that 20 years ago

6 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

There is a LCS in Glasgow near Queen Street station, I can't remember the name of the road, they have modern bullion and old coins dating back to the 1800's

you taking about Hamiltons on St Vincent Pl?    Its a jewellers that sells coins rather than a LCS.  Its also pretty expensive - wanting £40 for standard 1oz silver brits last time i was in.  and that was at a lower spot price than now.

39 minutes ago, bluffer said:

you taking about Hamiltons on St Vincent Pl?    Its a jewellers that sells coins rather than a LCS.  Its also pretty expensive - wanting £40 for standard 1oz silver brits last time i was in.  and that was at a lower spot price than now.

Yup, I noticed that when I bought a few coins. Its just the location I suppose, not many places will operate then due to high overheads making it less appealing than operating from a small warehouse that can provide post. Unless you are a long time established shop that owns the land it operates on other reasons for high prices in Scotland are the atrocious business rate fees the SNP government have slapped on businesses making it almost untenable for a lot of companies to continue, I know a fee businesses that had to stop trading and packed up and moved south to get away as the scottish government taxes so mich and makes it an anti business climate.