• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Nectar vouchers on eBay

I used to use the Nectar promotions and buy the odd coin but then eBay started blocking bids I made so I lost out a bunch of times. Perfect feedback, always paid on time, and same account for over 20 years. I was told it was for my own safety - the usual nonsense because they didn't block any high value purchases outside of the metals. Only ever happens with the metals. Dug a little deeper - happening to a lot of people.

Back to Nectar - my Nectar card was then disconnected from my account. Again, no reason given. Have to contact Nectar/Sainsbury's and just can't be bothered anymore so I guess that suits them fine.

1 minute ago, SlowFrog said:

I used to use the Nectar promotions and buy the odd coin but then eBay started blocking bids I made so I lost out a bunch of times. Perfect feedback, always paid on time, and same account for over 20 years. I was told it was for my own safety - the usual nonsense because they didn't block any high value purchases outside of the metals. Only ever happens with the metals. Dug a little deeper - happening to a lot of people.

Back to Nectar - my Nectar card was then disconnected from my account. Again, no reason given. Have to contact Nectar/Sainsbury's and just can't be bothered anymore so I guess that suits them fine.

I don't know whether it's a glitch or a permanent thing.

I was getting money off through the Nectar vouchers and Topcashback as well.

If this loophole has been closed then eBay is pretty much useless to me as I have also stopped selling on there as I was getting very few views on my items.

1 minute ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I don't know whether it's a glitch or a permanent thing.

I was getting money off through the Nectar vouchers and Topcashback as well.

If this loophole has been closed then eBay is pretty much useless to me as I have also stopped selling on there as I was getting very few views on my items.

I've never sold on eBay but there has been perhaps three instances where I put the highest bid with like 20 seconds to go only to have had the bid blocked by them. So the item has gone for substantially less. I can't see how that's fair on the sellers at all. They're making less money which is why I guess they keep all of these 'policies' under wraps and you only get an idea of what's happening through other users discussing matters on the forums.

Like @andrewse said, contacting them is next to useless. 

46 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

I've never sold on eBay but there has been perhaps three instances where I put the highest bid with like 20 seconds to go only to have had the bid blocked by them. So the item has gone for substantially less. I can't see how that's fair on the sellers at all. They're making less money which is why I guess they keep all of these 'policies' under wraps and you only get an idea of what's happening through other users discussing matters on the forums.

Like @andrewse said, contacting them is next to useless. 

Double check your account settings. I had issues a while back and buried deep in the settings somewhere I had to re verify my bank account. Basically they send you a sum of money and you have to input the amount. Seemed to sort issues out but I am a seller as well as buyer.

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

Double check your account settings. I had issues a while back and buried deep in the settings somewhere I had to re verify my bank account. Basically they send you a sum of money and you have to input the amount. Seemed to sort issues out but I am a seller as well as buyer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that and also enabled two-step verification for everything else. They even told me there's no issues with my account and it's an automatic trigger for any high-value purchases. In-between trying to buy some coins (we're talking the value of a sovereign), I purchased a couple of very expensive computer items and had absolutely no issues with those.

The T & C’s suggest you should still be able to buy from the coins category:

’The vouchers cannot be used to purchase items from the following categories:

1. Cars, Motorcycles and Vehicles (Parts and accessories are NOT excluded)
  2. Holidays & Travel
  3. Property
  4. Gift Vouchers & Coupons
  5. Baby Feeding: Formula

The vouchers cannot be used to purchase items from the following sellers:

1. Tesco outlet
  2. Co-operative Electrical
  3. Telephony providers offering Pay As You Go phones’

I can imagine a scenario where it isn't you but the seller. If the seller doesn't have cash in their account, where would eBay's fees come from? They certainly wouldn't want paying in Nectar points. I haven't used eBay in decades so please disregard if totally idiotic.

Just spoken to ebay and they have confirmed Nectar can NOT be used on coin purchases, looks like they are blocking via categories / titles as I've tried using it on an empty box and that was blocked. So probably blocking using nectar vouchers on the whole of the Coin category regardless of whether its a coin or an old boot as long as it sits in there... 

They just said its a nectar policy not ebay - so ill continue to use them for other stuff lol...

• 1 month later...

I recently bought some Silver ingots off eBay and no Nectar points were earned due to the item being in an excluded category.

If I was to put on my Tinfoil Hat it would almost make me think some entity doesn't want you to buy Silver.

How long before Topcashback starts similar restrictions on eBay?

• 4 months later...