• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Will it make much difference??

Sorry if a weird question,,,, but maybe I'm just a bit weird.

Will it make much difference if I take my silver coins out of the plastic capsules?? One part of me thinks it's best to leave them as is but the other part really wants to get them opened so I can get a proper feel the actual metal.  Feels strange holding them without touching them.

Cheers,

Chris.

It depends what they are. As long as its just plain old bullion then go for it. Handling them will mark them an accelerate toning, but it's not the end of the world. It may devalue them a little, but it's still silver at the end of the day.

Have you considered a 'pocket piece' ? Most people have a coin or 2 which they keep for the purpose of scratching the itch you have! Just to play around with.

If you are asking about proofs or particularly valuable coins then, no, don't take them out of the capsules.

I like the idea of a pocket coin, I just don't think it would be enough for me.  I'd want to touch them all.

Got half a dozen, all 1oz silver, no proofs or anything special, more run if the mill stuff.  Canadian maple, American dollar , Australian Kangeroo, a couple of Britannias things like that. 

46 minutes ago, chris2982 said:

I like the idea of a pocket coin, I just don't think it would be enough for me.  I'd want to touch them all.

Got half a dozen, all 1oz silver, no proofs or anything special, more run if the mill stuff.  Canadian maple, American dollar , Australian Kangeroo, a couple of Britannias things like that. 

If your maple is post-2018 it will handle more abuse than the others. The Britannia and American Silver Eagle (American dollar?) will skip milk and turn straight into cheese

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

3 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

If your maple is post-2018 it will handle more abuse than the others. The Britannia and American Silver Eagle (American dollar?) will skip milk and turn straight into cheese

All of them are 2023.

1 hour ago, chris2982 said:

Sorry if a weird question,,,, but maybe I'm just a bit weird.

Will it make much difference if I take my silver coins out of the plastic capsules?? One part of me thinks it's best to leave them as is but the other part really wants to get them opened so I can get a proper feel the actual metal.  Feels strange holding them without touching them.

Cheers,

Chris.

Will make a massive difference, you will induce fingerprints and then toning. 

My advice, pick one coin and let that be your pocket piece, play with it as much as you like, you will likely reduce its value close to spot price eventually, but we are talking a few £ and if you sell at the right time, it won't matter.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Then I double down on the last comment. The post-2018 Maples have Mintshield tech which gives them an added layer of protection against milking and toning. They will still tone/milk just not as quickly as the others

In order of quality I'd rate the coins: 1st - Maple. 2nd - Kangaroo. Joint last - 2023 KCIIIs and ASEs

(the 2023 QEIIs are better quality according to most reports)

The Britannias are the best for security features and are still a great coin, I just wish they could match the quality of Perth Mint/RAM or the RCM (not that RCM is perfect either)

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

4 minutes ago, chris2982 said:

Thanks for the info,, really appreciate it.

If you really want to take them out, as above, use one only for your habit and get some decent cotton gloves for the rest, hold at the edges too if using bare hands

oils from your skin causes damage

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Given that we are not talking about life-changing amounts of money, I would say that if you want the pleasure of holding your six pure silver coins in your bare hands - then go for it.

Maybe buy another one of each of the coins if you want to preserve them in their best condition.  But they are your coins, so do what you want with them.  They will always be worth spot price.  Worst case you are losing a few pounds of premium per coin.