• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Wow, auction prices!

Matt8v

On 12/05/2023 at 19:30, Upsidedown5318008 said:

The universe, life itself and auctions.

The trinity of unknown phenomena, many scientists and philosophers alike have tried to explain these mysteries, but all have thus far failed.

Russell G said it was in the stars that I wouldn't buy anything today.   😃

• 7 months later...

There is madness and then there is total lunacy in auctions from time to time. Yesterday's Coin Cabinet results were eye poppingly abnormal for bullion Gillick's. Couldn't careless if it's SP67. Anyone coughing up 35 grand clearly has more money than sense. I've noticed prices inflating quite wildly for 66 & 67 grades on "uncirculated" bullion sovereigns.

Correction - it's £41,300 when you tack on 18% buyer's fee on top. I wonder if they get postage for free?

CC_sov_auction.PNG

Edited by JohnV66

16 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Wow there are certainly bidders around in the right markets!

Is that Hansons auction house the chap from TV's Bargain hunt? I suppose he would be well trusted.

Has anyone seen a 2019 Una and the Lion PF70 sell recently? Cant seem to find the current going rate

ive got a watch on one ending tomorrow with Heritage in USA 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-silver-proof-una-and-the-lion-5-pounds-2-oz-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/65172-99147.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1 hour ago, JohnV66 said:

There is madness and then there is total lunacy in auctions from time to time. Yesterday's Coin Cabinet results were eye poppingly abnormal for bullion Gillick's. Couldn't careless if it's SP67. Anyone coughing up 35 grand clearly has more money than sense. I've noticed prices inflating quite wildly for 66 & 67 grades on "uncirculated" bullion sovereigns.

Correction - it's £41,300 when you tack on 18% buyer's fee on top. I wonder if they get postage for free?

CC_sov_auction.PNG

Think I would go and pick it up🤔😮

From following auctions and dealers in the U.K., US and Australia there do seem to be “apex” buyers who spend big on the very best examples out there.   

An Aussie dealer I follow clearly recently bought a collection of Aussie Half Sovs - some in just amazing condition.  A lot of them 5 figure GBP prices shifted fast.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

Rare and the best may or may not be a great investment, but are fairly illiquid.

Money to pay for those type of coins you will probably never see those coins again until the family dig them out and sell after the persons funeral!🤔🫢 If it is dealers buying, then if they sell them you will never know who to… recent ones probably sold already🤔🫢

3 hours ago, Petra said:

Perusing up coming auctions….. one is showing 38% fees! 😮🤔 this surely has a knock on effect on how much people are willing to shell out initially? 🤔🫢😮

Some fees are scandalous. Sure some people don't look at that when bidding. AS long as you check before and factor it into your bids then it is what it is

1 hour ago, cjbcomm said:

Some fees are scandalous. Sure some people don't look at that when bidding. AS long as you check before and factor it into your bids then it is what it is

It is, however, unfortunate if you are selling…. people look at costs and ultimately limit their bids as they have to factor in the extortionate auction costs on top😮🤔

7 hours ago, JohnV66 said:

CC_sov_auction.PNG

Not in that market myself. But not surprising for a specimen with that providence. All good news for collectors. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

8 hours ago, Agaupl said:

Not in that market myself. But not surprising for a specimen with that providence. All good news for collectors. 

Bullion Gillicks at MS66 selling for £1500 has become the norm of today. I'm not too convinced of that personally. SP Gillicks are certainly a rarity, but I think PF Gillicks will always be more attractive. Which is probably true because a PF67 Gillick might get even higher.

With these very rare coins the price is only a matter of how badly people want them. Numismatics is a hobby enjoyed by many people, and because it's such an accessible hobby the everyman tend to forget the very big people in the field. It's a bit like the Mini, as everyone drives them around it's not always easy to imagine very rich people driving them, and in reality they are plenty.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Bullion Gillicks at MS66 selling for £1500 has become the norm of today. I'm not too convinced of that personally. SP Gillicks are certainly a rarity, but I think PF Gillicks will always be more attractive. Which is probably true because a PF67 Gillick might get even higher.

With these very rare coins the price is only a matter of how badly people want them. Numismatics is a hobby enjoyed by many people, and because it's such an accessible hobby the everyman tend to forget the very big people in the field. It's a bit like the Mini, as everyone drives them around it's not always easy to imagine very rich people driving them, and in reality they are plenty.

My surprise was seeing that Gillick go for 41 grand on a Coin Cabinet auction along with silver pieces going for £30 rather than Heritage auctions or some other high end outfit. I was participating but focusing on 1990's graded proof sovs for significantly less  😁

3 hours ago, JohnV66 said:

My surprise was seeing that Gillick go for 41 grand on a Coin Cabinet auction along with silver pieces going for £30 rather than Heritage auctions or some other high end outfit. I was participating but focusing on 1990's graded proof sovs for significantly less  😁

Maybe if it went on HA it could sell for even more? 

2 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Maybe if it went on HA it could sell for even more? 

I guess so. There are some collectors out there with seriously deep pockets. The most I ever saw a coin go for in real-time was via EasyLive for Toovey's auction house from around this time last year. It was the very first lot - a rare Japanese 19th century coin that was bid to £260,000. Now that's a genuinely rare coin as opposed to a 1959 Gillick that if you search long enough for an UNC you might hit on another one.

I was after a USA Apollo 11 gold commemorative for 400 quid on the exact same auction as the Japanese Meiji 10 yen piece.

Tooveys_2022_japan.PNG

2 hours ago, JohnV66 said:

I guess so. There are some collectors out there with seriously deep pockets. The most I ever saw a coin go for in real-time was via EasyLive for Toovey's auction house from around this time last year. It was the very first lot - a rare Japanese 19th century coin that was bid to £260,000. Now that's a genuinely rare coin as opposed to a 1959 Gillick that if you search long enough for an UNC you might hit on another one.

I was after a USA Apollo 11 gold commemorative for 400 quid on the exact same auction as the Japanese Meiji 10 yen piece.

Tooveys_2022_japan.PNG

The bigger Meiji coins were really, really worth the price if you could afford any. They shrank after the first few years.

Another Asian rarity is the Korean wons. Well pretty much all Asian coins of that era were rare be ause of all the chaos. The Chinese coins are also quite rare but full of restrikes as when the communists took over the country some original dies were transferred to Taiwan and were subsequently used to remake some undetectible counterfeits.

Sold on Dec 31, 2023 for:

$6,600.00includes Buyer's Premium (BP) 

3 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Hi Paul did you catch the hammer price for this lot?

Great Britain, Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ...

Great Britain
Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ... 

Sold for 
$8,500

($10,200.00 w/BP) 

This was a bit of a surprise in the same auction $10k+ for a 1oz completer proof.  Ive got two of them at launch sat in safe deposit box :) 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Great Britain, Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ...

Great Britain
Great Britain: Elizabeth II gold Proof "Queen's Beasts - Completer Coin" 100 Pounds (1 oz) 2021 PR70 Ultra Cameo NGC, ... 

Sold for 
$8,500

($10,200.00 w/BP) 

This was a bit of a surprise in the same auction $10k+ for a 1oz completer proof.  Ive got two of them at launch sat in safe deposit box :) 

I sold mine to Frenchie, but that's a very healthy price.

3 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

I sold mine to Frenchie, but that's a very healthy price.

Have not seen that many come to market - i would have thought around £3500-£4000 would be the fair price for one not $10,200 

2 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Happy days. Thanks Paul.

Good to see some strength in the market for this one still.

Sold on Dec 31, 2023 for:

$6,600.00includes Buyer's Premium (BP) 

Equates to about £5,219 GBP in fiat debt tokens