• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thoughts on an Iconic Silver Coin Set - Canadian Wildlife 6 x Coin Series

Pete

I am seeking feedback from fellow stackers and collectors and to get started here is an extract from CoinInvest.

"....The Canadian Wildlife silver bullion coin collection features six coins bearing iconic animals that are native to Canada. Produced by the Royal Canadian Mint, one of the finest refineries in the world, these iconic coins are minted to the highest precision and contain .9999 pure silver content. The wildlife series has proven to be immensely popular with enthusiasts and with only a million of each coin in circulation are highly sought after assets. Investors in silver Canadian Wildlife coins can expect a great return on their investment ...."

"The collection includes, the Timber Wolf and the Grizzly which were manufactured in 2011, the Cougar and Moose from 2012 and the finally the Pronghorn Antelope followed by the Wood Bison in 2013"

Back then, over 10 years ago, at the time of issue I was a silver addict and bought several tubes of each as soon as they were released.
I subsequently purchased a quantity of bespoke nice wooden boxes with artwork to make up complete sets including special thin capsules with no edges to fit the somewhat tight slots. Each box cost over £30 after a generous discount due to a bulk purchase.
At the time, some of us oldies remember the £30 or thereabouts spot so since that date I have been wondering about the CoinInvest "great return" which still seems way off.

Checking the most recent sales on eBay for individual coins they seem to shift in and around £29 - £31 plus say £3 per coin shipping.

My question to fellow forum members and silver junkies is what would you think a realistic and fair price would be for a pristine essentially brand new boxed set ?
Some of these wildlife coins don't turn up that frequently and I am sure many will not necessarily be in mint condition or in the correct sized capsules.
My coins have never been out from their tubes and I would select spot free coins when necessary so would be offering the best possible pristine sets.

I would definitely like to sell the coin boxes as they are taking up valuable space.
The silver is vaulted so that doesn't matter and it can be passed to the next generation as I don't need to sell.
However if there is potential interest in boxed sets I could try selling here or drip feeding eBay whenever there are seller offers.

Anyhow I welcome all constructive feedback and I may decide in the next coming weeks to make up a set or two to take photos and test the temperature by offering for auction in the forum.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

"Canadian Wildlife coins can expect a great return on their investment ...."

I am so out of the collecting loop Pete I'm afraid I wont be of much help, The wood Bison's was the first coins I bought, at £25 a pop from Atkinson's the jewellers! I sold them ages ago but ten years on I would say that quote from coininvest seems so irresponsible, I get they want to shift product but It seems like quite the prediction to make! 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I am seeking feedback from fellow stackers and collectors and to get started here is an extract from CoinInvest.

"....The Canadian Wildlife silver bullion coin collection features six coins bearing iconic animals that are native to Canada. Produced by the Royal Canadian Mint, one of the finest refineries in the world, these iconic coins are minted to the highest precision and contain .9999 pure silver content. The wildlife series has proven to be immensely popular with enthusiasts and with only a million of each coin in circulation are highly sought after assets. Investors in silver Canadian Wildlife coins can expect a great return on their investment ...."

"The collection includes, the Timber Wolf and the Grizzly which were manufactured in 2011, the Cougar and Moose from 2012 and the finally the Pronghorn Antelope followed by the Wood Bison in 2013"

Back then, over 10 years ago, at the time of issue I was a silver addict and bought several tubes of each as soon as they were released.
I subsequently purchased a quantity of bespoke nice wooden boxes with artwork to make up complete sets including special thin capsules with no edges to fit the somewhat tight slots. Each box cost over £30 after a generous discount due to a bulk purchase.
At the time, some of us oldies remember the £30 or thereabouts spot so since that date I have been wondering about the CoinInvest "great return" which still seems way off.

Checking the most recent sales on eBay for individual coins they seem to shift in and around £29 - £31 plus say £3 per coin shipping.

My question to fellow forum members and silver junkies is what would you think a realistic and fair price would be for a pristine essentially brand new boxed set ?
Some of these wildlife coins don't turn up that frequently and I am sure many will not necessarily be in mint condition or in the correct sized capsules.
My coins have never been out from their tubes and I would select spot free coins when necessary so would be offering the best possible pristine sets.

I would definitely like to sell the coin boxes as they are taking up valuable space.
The silver is vaulted so that doesn't matter and it can be passed to the next generation as I don't need to sell.
However if there is potential interest in boxed sets I could try selling here or drip feeding eBay whenever there are seller offers.

Anyhow I welcome all constructive feedback and I may decide in the next coming weeks to make up a set or two to take photos and test the temperature by offering for auction in the forum.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

I’m guessing you might get £200-£220 for the set with a box. My experience of complete sets is that people expect to pay less, rather than more.

The first coin in this series has a special place in my stacking heart. My first large silver purchase from Germany was two tubes of the Timber Wolf (2010?), as they seemed an exciting variation. At the  time you could only get Philharmonics, Eagles, Maple Leaf and Perth Mint (expensive). 

I paid £19.50 per oz all in and sold them for an average of more than £40 per oz. No such premium for them these days.

On 02/05/2023 at 20:33, watchesandwhisky said:

I am so out of the collecting loop Pete I'm afraid I wont be of much help, The wood Bison's was the first coins I bought, at £25 a pop from Atkinson's the jewellers! I sold them ages ago but ten years on I would say that quote from coininvest seems so irresponsible, I get they want to shift product but It seems like quite the prediction to make! 

It's the thing with silver isn't it.  Any promise of a great return on silver products has, apart from a couple of brief moments in spot history,  been so far proven to be complete fantasy. I've learned over the last couple of years that buying silver can only be justified on aesthetic grounds, but not as an investment for an expected return. I blame the scam paper/digital : physical silver ratio for that.  

I have one complete set of silver proof coins - history of aviation - which I've owned for around 20 years, along with a few other individual silver proofs in presentation boxes, which I've had for even longer than that, and all of which if I sold now I would expect to make a loss on. The Aviation set is a beautiful set in a beautiful presentation box, with a laminated information sheet to go with every coin, all held in a nice binder. Each coin cost about £25.00   20+ years ago, but I doubt if anyone would want it enough to pay what I would like it to be worth - if you catch my drift... 🤔  I suspect it would be the same scenario with @Pete's coins.   Although I would happily be shown to be completely wrong..😀  

Unless you desperately want or need to get rid of them my instinct would be to hold the coins for a while yet and see if spot rises a bit, as I suspect it might if the financial world of scam bankers, paper silver, and crappy fiat comes crashing down....  

Edited by flyingveepixie

I did eventually put together a set of these probably just for the sake of it. IMO the quality of these is very poor, even the designs on the reverses don't do it for me and I just can't look at the obverses, the bust of the Queen is appalling.

They may be an iconic set to some old timers on here but in my eyes they are just bullion, to rank alongside the Birds of Prey series, people just don't want them. Sorry Pete.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I have to agree with @sovereignsteve I also had a few of these coins but to build them up the way coinvest have is ridiculous the quality of the coins are appalling.I  sold all of mine years ago.Re value id say a clean one would currently be worth around £26 to £30 max with "only a million of each minted" 🤣🤣

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.