• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are art coins worth it?

I've seen some amazing (and expensive!) designs from the likes of Power coin over the years but I don't think I've ever seen any of them for sale. I'm sure they'd make amazing display pieces and conversation starters but are they worth it? How likely would you be to make your money back if you sold them on?

39 minutes ago, DrKarlMoneys said:

I've seen some amazing (and expensive!) designs from the likes of Power coin over the years but I don't think I've ever seen any of them for sale. I'm sure they'd make amazing display pieces and conversation starters but are they worth it? How likely would you be to make your money back if you sold them on?

A painted coin sold at a premium is like buying silver and pretending its gold - you can love it as much as you want but the next buyer in line may only care for its intrinsic value and you may end up selling at a loss. Maybe worth it if the aesthetics bring pleasure but personally I'd rather have plain with added monetary value than lamb dressed as lamb. Unless it's gold and even then, dressing it up like Danny La Rue is just wrong imo. 🤣

*Coins on display? Getting my things whizzed by random footfall is a pastime I'm yet to acquire lol.

As for making your money back, maybe an ad campaign worthy of Apple lol

Edited by CazLikesCoins

Hi, I bought these 2020 burning fafnirs from Powercoin, a few years back, they sold for over £250 each, very beautiful dragons from Germania Mint, 100 of these painted ones in the world with COA's number 1 and 3. So put 2 of them together in a single, double coin capsule and you are looking at over £500 worth of black ruthenium ( 6th most rare metal in the world's crust)  painted silver bullion coins. They are very artistic, are they worth it? It depends on the eye of the beholder.

I don't know that many of our 20000 TSF members would buy them. A small gold coin for £500 is what the majority seems to want to buy at the moment.

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

4 minutes ago, silvergaga said:

Hi, I bought these 2020 burning fafnirs from Powercoin, a few years back, they sold for over £250 each, very beautiful dragons from Germania Mint, 100 of these painted ones in the world with COA's number 1 and 3. So put 2 of them together in a single, double coin capsule and you are looking at over £500 worth of black ruthenium ( 6th most rare metal in the world's crust)  painted silver bullion coins. They are very artistic, are they worth it? It depends on the eye of the beholder.

I don't know that many of our 20000 TSF members would buy them. A small gold coin for £500 is what the majority seems to want to buy at the moment.

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

Forget my last post, that dragon's pretty.

# I are fickle :D 

Not my cup of tea, but there is a market for them, otherwise they'd have stopped producing these coins. But then, they'll sell like 100 coins worldwide with marketing and launch hype. 

Exit strategy feels like ebay and luck or a nice gift for someone. Maybe the dealers buy back on rarity value or take a share in resale price. Unlikely, but that would help tilt me into buying. 

Edited by harrygill111

1 hour ago, DrKarlMoneys said:

I'm sure they'd make amazing display pieces and conversation starters but are they worth it?

In the words of Bill Bailey: "only you can answer that". I'd say it depends on why you want to buy, if you're looking for an investment or hedge against inflation etc then probably best to stick to plain ol' bullion. In order to get your money back, or even make a profit you'd be relying on someone liking the coin for it's aesthetic qualities as much as you do/did. It might take several days or weeks to find a buyer willing to pay a price you'd be happy with. 

On the other hand, if you're buying as a curio, or objet d'art; something that will sit on your desk where you will see it everyday and bring you pleasure then yeah it probably is worth it - after all you can't put a price on happiness!

Really depends on how you look at it - for examle is going out for a meal at a fancy restaurant worth it? From a purely sustenance point of view then no, not really. You can buy a kilo of rice or spuds and cook them up at home for pennies and you will be nurished and satiated. But going to a swanky restaurent is more than just paying through the nose for a tiny amount of food on a massive plate, it's about the experience, it's a talking point, a memory, an excuse to spend a couple of hours in pleasant surroundings with friends or family. Are those things worth the price? Absolutely.

9 hours ago, YorkshireStacker said:

In the words of Bill Bailey: "only you can answer that". I'd say it depends on why you want to buy, if you're looking for an investment or hedge against inflation etc then probably best to stick to plain ol' bullion. In order to get your money back, or even make a profit you'd be relying on someone liking the coin for it's aesthetic qualities as much as you do/did. It might take several days or weeks to find a buyer willing to pay a price you'd be happy with. 

On the other hand, if you're buying as a curio, or objet d'art; something that will sit on your desk where you will see it everyday and bring you pleasure then yeah it probably is worth it - after all you can't put a price on happiness!

Really depends on how you look at it - for examle is going out for a meal at a fancy restaurant worth it? From a purely sustenance point of view then no, not really. You can buy a kilo of rice or spuds and cook them up at home for pennies and you will be nurished and satiated. But going to a swanky restaurent is more than just paying through the nose for a tiny amount of food on a massive plate, it's about the experience, it's a talking point, a memory, an excuse to spend a couple of hours in pleasant surroundings with friends or family. Are those things worth the price? Absolutely.

Very well put.

We create our own happiness largely through self delusion based on past conditioning imo. Somebody looks at a piece of John Wick silver and thinks wt*'s the point of that, then happens to watch the film a week later and quickly develops an overwhelmingly important urge to buy John Wick silver, gets it loves it and can't understand why his unconditioned friends can't see its beauty and addictive qualities - until they watch the John Wick film. Mass marketing manipulation. When the aliens land they won't need ray guns to take over, offering everyone a free iPhone should do it. 

I try to avoid any stimuli thats costs money without any real dividends ... like that worked for me lol. I'm off to amazon to buy some future landfill. I need it in my life. :D 

7 hours ago, Gordy said:

I have one.... this...

Keep it for myself but if someone offered me a good price it would probably go..

Egyptian Calender 4.jpg

Egyptian Calender 5.jpg

That's very strangely addictive ... like Its making me feel I need it ... I'm just glad Hellraiser's box of delights isn't a real thing or I'd probably be dangling upside down on meathooks waiting for a man with pins in his head to drag me off down below.

11 hours ago, silvergaga said:

IMG_2200.jpg

I think the appeal of small gold coins resides in them actually being self contained self perpetuating miniature anti-inflation engines capable of reducing, stopping or reversing the erosion of whatever value a person holds in fiat. 

I see a sovereign as a tiny self contained bank with micro-staff all working hard to increase my holdings year on year and they do a jolly good job about it too. Their hard work gave me a 30% interest rate over the past 18 months all thanks to the bank of Sov. 

My real life bank gave me less than 1%. 

My silver. Not doing much. Never really does. It does like spewing up its milk now and again though. I still like it, like an old granddad who keeps telling everyone to f off when people are trying to help him and pissing his pants in protest. Love is blind.

Your last 3 posts on this thread were all great for me.

I love shiny, colourful coins of all kinds and gather them like a magpie does.

Addictive, and I like to look after my own wealth rather than paying commission to some IFA.

I would rather lose my own "money" than pay some tosser to lose it for me eh!

I'd say for this topic it really depends how you're looking to define worth.

If you're definiing worth in a purely monetary or investment sense then no they're almost certainly not worth it.

If you're defining worth based upon the enjoyment you could have from owning an object you really desire and find beautiful then yes, its worth it.

These coins aren't for me but I've bought plenty of other things because I found them beautiful or because they somehow brought some joy into my life. Not everything needs to be an investment. If you like it for what it is then that can be enough and what that potentially brings to your life does have worth.

If you look at art coins like the rest of silver, your throat will close up and you heart will stop. Bloody expensive for the silver (or gold or whatever).

Investment? Like most things, you need someone to sell to. Common silver is easy to shift, art pieces less so. I've seen the few that come onto this forum go for under their purchase price. I've got a few I bought from various mints around Europe. Fell in love with the designs. I sometimes wince over the cost even now. 

And then the VAT rules changed. That made everything even more expensive. The last art coin I bought came with a hefty extra bill thanks to that.

But they're not an investment. At least I don't look at them that way. They are art pieces, and I treat them as ornaments. 

Exit strategy? Sell the bullion. Bury the art with me. 

24 minutes ago, silvergaga said:

Your last 3 posts on this thread were all great for me.

I love shiny, colourful coins of all kinds and gather them like a magpie does.

Addictive, and I like to look after my own wealth rather than paying commission to some IFA.

I would rather lose my own "money" than pay some tosser to lose it for me eh!

I tried to break out of the magpie matrix and had some success. For three whole weeks I went to bed early, ate healthily and didn't buy anything non essential. Only three weeks mind. :D Then I went back to being a normal person, cheeseburgers, wine, late night telly, forum binging dear me. I don't need any world super powers keeping me from meeting my full potential, I can manage that perfectly well by myself. 😂 

Now I'm trying to stop myself from asking Gordy how much he wants for that occult'ish third eye piece of silver despite promising myself I don't want more silver 🤪 but ... its all ... so much ....... .... .. fun!

15 minutes ago, MrB said:

If you look at art coins like the rest of silver, your throat will close up and you heart will stop. Bloody expensive for the silver (or gold or whatever).

Investment? Like most things, you need someone to sell to. Common silver is easy to shift, art pieces less so. I've seen the few that come onto this forum go for under their purchase price. I've got a few I bought from various mints around Europe. Fell in love with the designs. I sometimes wince over the cost even now. 

And then the VAT rules changed. That made everything even more expensive. The last art coin I bought came with a hefty extra bill thanks to that.

But they're not an investment. At least I don't look at them that way. They are art pieces, and I treat them as ornaments. 

Exit strategy? Sell the bullion. Bury the art with me. 

I'd have given you a like, but I've just run out lol 

31 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I tried to break out of the magpie matrix and had some success. For three whole weeks I went to bed early, ate healthily and didn't buy anything non essential. Only three weeks mind. :D Then I went back to being a normal person, cheeseburgers, wine, late night telly, forum binging dear me. I don't need any world super powers keeping me from meeting my full potential, I can manage that perfectly well by myself. 😂 

Now I'm trying to stop myself from asking Gordy how much he wants for that occult'ish third eye piece of silver despite promising myself I don't want more silver 🤪 but ... its all ... so much ....... .... .. fun!

Look into my eyes, not around my eyes, focus on the coin, think calming thoughts, and ......relax... you're back in the room 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

16 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Look into my eyes, not around my eyes, focus on the coin, think calming thoughts, and ......relax... you're back in the room 

I .... I ... I need .. to buy ... some .. sil .. ver. I need ... to .. to ... what ... what's come o'er me? I feel like I be on the seven seas in search o' silver. That there gentleman o' fortune magic be a powerful thin' it be. I've seen Pirates Of The Caribbean  an' spied what 'appens when someone gains possession o' a ghost coin. A bottle o' rum an' silver not be fer me. I'll sail past Costco next week an' buy some gold instead harharr :D

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I must admit I am swaying from my regular path and have my eye on a few arty bits. 

Has anyone tried this site? 

https://minted-uk.com/product-category/categories/silv/

Scrap that, can't find any info on the company apart from someone called Sharon, doesn't seem to be registered to companies house.

4 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Scrap that, can't find any info on the company apart from someone called Sharon, doesn't seem to be registered to companies house.

I especially liked the rebadged Polynesian silver selling at four times spot and sporting unlicensed film tie ins. 😂

Think I'll stick to my John Wick continental silver. 😅