• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Capsule problem

pricha

I decided to give these capsules in a tube a try. The shields fitted fine but a few Gillicks were I tight fit . Now I'm worried I may damage the coins trying to get them out if I needed to sell them in future.  Anyone else use these ? What are collectors thoughts on them ?

16819242971107176386333688824660.jpg

Edited by pricha

This is one reason why some are now buying the t22 with the rubber inserts. This allow most Sovereign, 2 rand and 1/4oz coins to fit. The problem with direct fit is that all coins are not the same, though they look it. Trying to get then out should not damage the coin.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

I do like these capsules I bought. You can get the coins out and have a good old fiddle 🎻 😌.   But If I need to remove the coin for whatever reason it looks like a tap around the edges with a hammer as if removing a coin that has been slabbed. 

Edited by pricha

Beautiful coins. I have this general issue too. I have coins in capsules and I've tried to take them out then just gave up as I didn't want to damage the coin or the capsule. What is the standard way that a bullion dealer/collector opens capsules? I ask AI and it tells me to use a blade, not sure if that's for me, humanity or the capsule though

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

2 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Beautiful coins. I have this general issue too. I have coins in capsules and I've tried to take them out then just gave up as I didn't want to damage the coin or the capsule. What is the standard way that a bullion dealer/collector opens capsules? I ask AI and it tells me to use a blade, not sure if that's for me, humanity or the capsule though

I've been able to open Air-tites with my fingernail. There's just enough give in the seam to get it open a bit and then I run my nail around the seam and lever the parts free of each other. 

2 hours ago, pricha said:

I decided to give these capsules in a tube a try. The shields fitted fine but a few Gillicks were I tight fit . Now I'm worried I may damage the coins trying to get them out if I needed to sell them in future.  Anyone else use these ? What are collectors thoughts on them ?

16819242971107176386333688824660.jpg

I love them, used for 1/4oz tudor beasts, but as you have found out,certain sovereigns stick. Ringed T22s allow for the little differences in size between sovereigns and 1/4ozs etc, the only downside to those is you don't see the gold side on. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Personally I buy Air-tite A which are 28mm inside. Then I cut inserts from Quandrum Intercept with a compass cutter.

That has some benefits: 1. the coins are held tight yet easy to take out, like any foam insert; 2. Air-tite capsules are better than lighthouse in terms of drop protection, and they are more scratch resistant; 3. the intercept rings removes oxygen from within the capsules and you don't get red spots in years.

The cons of the methods is the cost, obviously.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.