• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold sovereign old colour (silver mix) vs new colour (copper mix)

1 hour ago, n1k0s said:

What do you think is the explanation of this?

As @Ignorant states, it must be the finish I guess that plays tricks on your eyes. I’m not sure if that’s the entire explanation tbh but I can’t understand what else could be at play. I’m also unsure if that’s a fair assessment to compare the least frostiest area of the Indian (cheek) to the most frostiest area of the sovereign (portrait) 

When I bought the half sov, it struck me as a particularly pink looking coin. More so than other newish proofs I could compare it to.

the quarter eagle being an older coin can have quite a variety of shades. I think this one is particularly light and the sovereign is particularly dark.

Is it entirely the finish? Or is it that there is a slight range of variation to the hues and these coins are at opposite ends of that range? All I know is the sov most definitely appears pinker in the same light condition as the quarter eagle.

IMG_5844.jpeg

I’ve enhanced @Nowheremans original photo to make the same point. If it’s a question of different alloys used by Sovereigns and how it affects the colour, then it’s worth trawling thro’ this thread to learn more. 

A few general points first. There doesn’t seem to be a definitive record by the RM of precisely what alloys have been used in the past. But today we can assume that ‘Red Gold’ is being used for all to see. ie 8.33% copper. I believe this is unlikely to change - to keep Sovereigns as a separate traditional entity from its other products such as the 1/4oz 9999.

However, in 1997 the  RM substituted the normal ‘Double Sovereign’ with the new £2 bi-metal in the 3 coin Sovereign set and admitting for the first time that the outer rim was made of ‘Red’ gold and the inner from ‘Yellow gold’ so it seems the RM are aware of the difference!….

In 1868 and 1869 the RM experimented with ‘yellow’ and ‘red’ gold in their sovereigns and it seems from there on in, a little silver was used in the alloy. The Aussies had beaten them to it, because their sovereigns were more yellow looking than their copper counterparts in London. Apparently silver was added to the alloy because it was already there, mined with the gold and used instead of copper.

As for other gold, such as the Krugerrand, this has 8.33% copper, whilst the ‘Eagle’ has 3% silver & 5.3% copper.

Early Britannias also tried out different alloys with the addition of silver ie  ‘yellow gold’ before changing to 9999.

So there we are, if you don’t like the colour of our current Sovereigns buy the 1/4oz like I I do!😀

IMG_0171.jpeg