• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trying to identify/date my grandfathers silver pocket watch

I believe the U means it's an imported piece.

Probably not Swiss, as Swiss watches were normally 935 and would have their hallmarks in addition to British ones.

Beyond that, without pictures of the face or the movement within, it'd be hard to pin it down to a type or country.

Is it an open face watch, a hunter, half-hunter etc.?

9 hours ago, SidS said:

I believe the U means it's an imported piece.

Probably not Swiss, as Swiss watches were normally 935 and would have their hallmarks in addition to British ones.

Beyond that, without pictures of the face or the movement within, it'd be hard to pin it down to a type or country.

Is it an open face watch, a hunter, half-hunter etc.?

Swiss watches changed to 925 in 1914 to match our standards.

Anyway, that’s a British import hallmark. There is the standard mark, the town mark for London and the date letter b for 1917/18

Hi,

Im more of a wrist watch guy but the movement looks American to me, perhaps a Hamilton’s or less likely a Waltham (although more common) 

Many watchmakers in the UK in the first half of the 20th century bought all the parts and assembled them in their shops, hence why no makers marks on the dial etc.  Many of these watches get passed by when they have some really good movements inside.  There have been cases of Rolex movements found in generic cases.  Good luck with the watch its a lovely thing.

John

On 22/03/2023 at 02:04, Skyfiller said:

Swiss watches changed to 925 in 1914 to match our standards.

Anyway, that’s a British import hallmark. There is the standard mark, the town mark for London and the date letter b for 1917/18

I bow to your superior knowledge on this. I never get out of the 19th century. 😁