• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Gold Sovereign Series

Spyder

Hello Members

Having recently bought the latest The Gold Sovereign Series By M.A. Marsh, I was wondering how accurate would you say their price guide is. I know they are from 2021.

My question, If one particular Sovereign was worth £400 and another £450, would it be correct to assume that these two different dated coins are always minimum £50 apart in price. A £600 coins always worth at least £200 minimum from the £400. 

Would be interested in what others think and if they price their better scarcer coin by the price guide.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but would take too long to back pages after pages.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contribute to this thread. I'm sure it will interesting to other fellow members who have not been on the forum for years.

Spyder

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

• Spyder changed the title to The Gold Sovereign Series

I've got the same guide and I ignore it, not because it's incorrect, but because I think there are better price guides. I personally use coin archive to search previous auction prices. I find it gives me a good starting position to know how much a coin is worth and then I can decide what I'm willing to pay. 

Here's a link to a search for "1937 sovereign". Just change the search term to what you want. 

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?search=1937+sovereign&s=0&upcoming=0&results=100

I would not put too much faith into the Marsh price guide,

It is based on coins in a minimum of EF.  Even with EF coins I would recommend looking in the current year Spinks pre-decimal  standard catalogue for prices rather than Marsh, or better yet doing your own research.  Marsh is a great reference guide that is easy to navigate quickly and is a great starter guide, but for pricing I find it wildly inaccurate.  

Edited by Orpster

Thank you @BiigT for that site. I will take a look when have more time.

@OrpsterThis is what I was noticing as well. They do not describe what condition they are using for price guide.  Will take a look a Spinks, thanks.

Just had a quick look at CoinArchives. The last results as recently as 31 January, they had some Young heads Victoria that sold for less then some standard bullion sovereigns on this forum. I know their will be a buyers premium, but still very surprised.

7 hours ago, Spyder said:

Hello Members

Having recently bought the latest The Gold Sovereign Series By M.A. Marsh, I was wondering how accurate would you say their price guide is. I know they are from 2021.

My question, If one particular Sovereign was worth £400 and another £450, would it be correct to assume that these two different dated coins are always minimum £50 apart in price. A £600 coins always worth at least £200 minimum from the £400. 

Would be interested in what others think and if they price their better scarcer coin by the price guide.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but would take too long to back pages after pages.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contribute to this thread. I'm sure it will interesting to other fellow members who have not been on the forum for years.

Spyder

I'd say no as the prices are not used as a standard, even take Spink  where a sovereign is listed over bullion in many cases you will not get a premium from a dealer  or even a fellow collector unless its a numismatic rarity.  You need to remember theres 4 prices for everything

1 what the seller would like to get  2 what the seller is likely to get in reality from a fellow collector/3rd party peer to peer etc 3, what a dealer will pay , 4 what the dealer will list the coin at retail.  

1, £600 , 2 £450, 3, intrinsic or just over, 4 £750 this is just an arbitrary example.   Anyone can list a coin for any amount  ultimately the free market dictates the price.