• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half Sovereign 1925SA

Spyder

On 14/01/2023 at 15:30, Spyder said:

Here is the best picture I have taken using a Samsung Flip 4 belonging to my brother.

Lawrence, what have you noticed that raises your suspicion regarding bottom coin photo supplied Happypanda88?

1925 Sa V.jpg

That's better.

The BbP coin:

I can't remember whether it was @James32 or @Darr3nG who said I was didactic, which was accurate, but I had not previously thought of applying the word to myself.

I was hoping a few members would look at the relevant photo, and add their own comments before I did so. This is one good way to learn.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Come on Lawrence, tell us, what is troubling you regarding Happypanda88 coin and also now that I have put up a better photo of mine, I can see using a clock face, between 10 and 11 number it  does not look correct. Could this just be damaged over the years or is it a cast coin rather then a pressed coin.

Going back to the original question is a genuine 1925 SA Half sovereign worth more or is it generally the same as other Half sovereign of this period.

Would appreciate your reply. Thanks

Never Chase and Never Regret 

Appreciate you asked @LawrenceChard the above question.

My view is no, a 1925 SA doesn’t really command a premium over a “similar” coin - especially in bullion condition.

Others may think me a fool, but I have paid not insignificant premiums for early Mel and Syd Halves that are in significantly worse condition than the ones on this thread.  But there again some have mintages or only 40k to 60k. 

While there are some rarity scores in Marsh that are questionable, it is a pretty good guide.   I am away from home for work this evening but I suspect that Marsh grades this as “C” or “N”.

Can anyone with a Marsh handy confirm?

Not my circus, not my monkeys

23 minutes ago, dicker said:

Appreciate you asked @LawrenceChard the above question.

My view is no, a 1925 SA doesn’t really command a premium over a “similar” coin - especially in bullion condition.

Others may think me a fool, but I have paid not insignificant premiums for early Mel and Syd Halves that are in significantly worse condition than the ones on this thread.  But there again some have mintages or only 40k to 60k. 

While there are some rarity scores in Marsh that are questionable, it is a pretty good guide.   I am away from home for work this evening but I suspect that Marsh grades this as “C” or “N”.

Can anyone with a Marsh handy confirm?

Quite a few years ago now, when Marsh's The Gold Sovereign went out of print, secondhand copies were changing hands for around £75. or perhaps more.

The recent editions now incorporate The Gold Half Sovereign, along with Double Sovereigns, and Quintuple Sovereigns, and the new price is a bargain at £40.

There is also one well known Blackpool dealer who is daft enough to sell it at a generous discount.

It would be worth the OP investing in a copy.

I know I read the original edition from cover to cover, and learnt a lot. I have become rather complacent or lazy, and have not found time to study the most recent editions as intently.

Personally, I don't really take too much notice of the Marsh or any other scarcity / rarity grades, as many are somewhat arbitrary.

I do tend to use my own experience though, and consider that any half sovereign with a mintmark is scarcer than a typical London Mint half. They usually turn up in very worn or damaged condition, presumably because they were popular, and circulated with higher velocity than (full) sovereigns. Higher grade ones are defintiely desirable, and I do know that Marsh used to take grade into account when assessing and applying rarity grades. I had a conversation with Michael about it once.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Quite a few years ago now, when Marsh's The Gold Sovereign went out of print, secondhand copies were changing hands for around £75. or perhaps more.

The recent editions now incorporate The Gold Half Sovereign, along with Double Sovereigns, and Quintuple Sovereigns, and the new price is a bargain at £40.

There is also one well known Blackpool dealer who is daft enough to sell it at a generous discount.

It would be worth the OP investing in a copy.

I know I read the original edition from cover to cover, and learnt a lot. I have become rather complacent or lazy, and have not found time to study the most recent editions as intently.

Personally, I don't really take too much notice of the Marsh or any other scarcity / rarity grades, as many are somewhat arbitrary.

I do tend to use my own experience though, and consider that any half sovereign with a mintmark is scarcer than a typical London Mint half. They usually turn up in very worn or damaged condition, presumably because they were popular, and circulated with higher velocity than (full) sovereigns. Higher grade ones are defintiely desirable, and I do know that Marsh used to take grade into account when assessing and applying rarity grades. I had a conversation with Michael about it once.

😎

Thanks Lawrence and Dicker with your replies.

Thanks for recommending the Marsh book, will look into getting one. Like they say, ''you can never have too much knowledge''.

Why are no others commenting on what is wrong with the other coin that Lawrence is not sure about.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Thanks Lawrence and Dicker with your replies.

Thanks for recommending the Marsh book, will look into getting one. Like they say, ''you can never have too much knowledge''.

Why are no others commenting on what is wrong with the other coin that Lawrence is not sure about.

Perhaps they are not sure either...

...and I'm going to bed!

😎

Chards

Read it and write your own observations in your copy.  

The most commented pages in my copies are (Not surprisingly) early Shield errors that are not in Marsh and the very incomplete die numbers on Sovs and Half Sovs.  

I guess my message is that it’s an awesome guide but keep your eyes wide open!

Not my circus, not my monkeys