• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Top 8 1oz Gold Bullion Coins

Fenlander1

11 hours ago, Bogart said:

Tempted to buy another of the Lynx especially as it is neary £40 less than when I purchased my other one.

lynx.thumb.jpg.a84ddae57ed248005e0f50d258cde163.jpg

Beautiful coin. Never seen this one before. Where did you buy yours out of interest? 

Edited by 20JMK20
Posted twice.

15 hours ago, Bogart said:

Tempted to buy another of the Lynx especially as it is neary £40 less than when I purchased my other one.

lynx.thumb.jpg.a84ddae57ed248005e0f50d258cde163.jpg

It is a very nice coin.

But I just can't convince myself to pay 11% premium for it when a Panda can be had for 3.5% premium.  🤔

I love the pandas but these are exceptional. Come in a proper padded capsule. Called bullion but put some RM proofs to shame. And the premium is nearer 13% but still worth it, not as if millions of them around.

4 hours ago, 20JMK20 said:

Beautiful coin. Never seen this one before. Where did you buy yours out of interest? 

Sharps Pixley Lynx is first of 5 coins in the series. Second one the Bull is out also now.

Edited by Bogart

4 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

It looks fantastic very crisp detail.

I think this will be my maple replacement when I can find one.

cougar-canadian-wildlife-portraits-1-oz-gold-coin-350-canada-2019.jpg

Yes so much more appealing than a boring old leaf. If you find any I will have one as well. Doubt either of us will get one as reported only 400 minted.

Edited by Bogart

Does seem a strange way of going about with it. Last release figure are, as far as I can see, from 2013 when over a million Maple Leaf were knocked out.

Think of the effort to design tool up for minting then only produce 400.

Edited by Bogart

3 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

They mint 1000s of leafs and only 400 of these. Madness

unfortunately the real madness is the artificial market that has been created on ounces. They were first minted just as a different way to stack gold, with a little to 0% premium over spot. Nothing numismatic, nothing that should attract more than 3-4-5% premium over spot. 

What is happening today is, i am afraid to say, just a huge mockery. You can create the fanciest ounce ever, but bullion is and bullion will remain. And people that pay an unreal premium over spot should be aware that (if and when they will re sell it) dealers will payback exactly what is worth in gold. No (zero, niente, nada, niet) premium. 

I agree that high premiums do make a mockery of the gold price but rather than stack generic gold I prefer to collect a varying range of 1oz coins.

I would love to pay a 4% premium on some of my coins but as don't intend to sell anytime soon I am hoping the spot price will come up to meet the prices I paid in years to come.🤞

I could be expensively wrong but here's to hoping.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

I agree that high premiums do make a mockery of the gold price but rather than stack generic gold I prefer to collect a varying range of 1oz coins.

I would love to pay a 4% premium on some of my coins but as don't intend to sell anytime soon I am hoping the spot price will come up to meet the prices I paid in years to come.🤞

i understand, that's what we all hope at the end of the day...

nothing personal of course and my comment wasnt pointing at any of the users that wrote in this thread. 

Thing is, when it comes to stacking, the goal should always be to pay the minimum spread possible above spot price. Otherwise it is another thing. And thats i am afraid to say a huge success of the RM (and other mints around the world); to create a brand new hybrid half stackers-half numismatic market, where people pay large premiums on something that should't carry it on

Hello buddy I didn't take your comments personally I fully agree on silly premiums that bloody elephant cost me 11% over spot🤣 i must have been nuts starting a world 10 but once i started i couldn't stop, but i suppose that what the marketing bods want.

55 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

I could be expensively wrong but here's to hoping.

My way of thinking too. Not out to make a quick buck but gold will inevitably go up over time. See just put the mockers on that.

Edited by Bogart

1 minute ago, Bogart said:

My way of thinking too. Not out to make a quick buck but gold will inevitably go up over time. See just bput the mockers on that.

It will be fine in time. You enjoy that new Lynx I look forward to some proper pics.

As an aside the Spanish mint state they will sell the Lynx and Bull  and others in the series when they appear at spot + 22%. That I am assuming is their price to joe punter out on the street.

I paid a premium of about 12.5% this Lynx but what the hell is paying me back already, made £4 so far😃                                    

3 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

It will be fine in time. You enjoy that new Lynx I look forward to some proper pics.

Will do a side by side pic when I get number 2.

Don't go spending it all at once. You are doing well I have lost £20 on the elephant already and I really don't care it is a beautiful coin.

That maple is going to have to go though I can't look at it anymore🤣

I always view the premium I pay, whether it's not very much for a sovereign, or £200 for a lynx, as being a sunk cost of the hobby. And then I've invested however much the spot price is. That works for me because I get enjoyment out of looking at the different designs of coins, and I'm happy to pay to be able to do that. I can easily spend hundreds, that I'll never be able to recoup, on equipment, tickets or other costs to let me get enjoyment from other hobbies, and I view this hobby as being no different in that regard.

All that said ... £150 over spot is the largest premium that I've ever actually paid for one coin ... but that lynx does look nice!

13 minutes ago, ozzie456 said:

I always view the premium I pay, whether it's not very much for a sovereign, or £200 for a lynx, as being a sunk cost of the hobby. And then I've invested however much the spot price is. That works for me because I get enjoyment out of looking at the different designs of coins, and I'm happy to pay to be able to do that. I can easily spend hundreds, that I'll never be able to recoup, on equipment, tickets or other costs to let me get enjoyment from other hobbies, and I view this hobby as being no different in that regard.

All that said ... £150 over spot is the largest premium that I've ever actually paid for one coin ... but that lynx does look nice!

She /he is. Just had confimation that is on its way. I would rather pay a bit more for a coin  and say yes you look nice than have a cheaper one, that everyone is supposed to have, and think well your okay ish.

Edited by Bogart

assuming i pay today a 1oz gold coin 11% over spot (around 1690 gbp when the 1oz today stands at 1520 gbp); 

what would be the re-buy price that very same dealer would pay me tomorrow?

that is the crucial information to me; if they pay spot i am even more convinced it is a huge mockery. if they pay spot + something it is already different...

Edited by refero

If I was to sell the elephant tomorrow I would expect to loose about £150 but for me that is not the point as I don't intend to sell for a few years.

If flipping daily or weekly for an instant profit was my intention I would steer clear of physical gold altogether. Stocks shares and non physical gold would be a far better investment tool.

But as a hedge against future inflation physical gold gold is for me.

3 hours ago, refero said:

assuming i pay today a 1oz gold coin 11% over spot (around 1690 gbp when the 1oz today stands at 1520 gbp); 

what would be the re-buy price that very same dealer would pay me tomorrow?

that is the crucial information to me; if they pay spot i am even more convinced it is a huge mockery. if they pay spot + something it is already different...

Would have to be desperate to sell to a dealer TSF is a much better option. At least for UK based folks.

On 23/02/2023 at 15:50, Bogart said:

As an aside the Spanish mint state they will sell the Lynx and Bull  and others in the series when they appear at spot + 22%. That I am assuming is their price to joe punter out on the street.

I paid a premium of about 12.5% this Lynx but what the hell is paying me back already, made £4 so far😃                                    

Will do a side by side pic when I get number 2.

Did the lynx arrive?