• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"bullion" vs Ex-Mounted

ShineyMagpie

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

And multiply before you divide.

😎

This reminded me of my education and learning by rote, and hence the BODMAS quote.

Doesn't matter if you use division before or after multiplication, you'll arrive at the same answer, but you know that anyway!

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

And multiply before you divide.

😎

1 hour ago, Booky586 said:

BODMAS! 😀

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Perhaps, but BODMAS places divison before multiplication, so BOMDAS would be better!

😎

17 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

This reminded me of my education and learning by rote, and hence the BODMAS quote.

Doesn't matter if you use division before or after multiplication, you'll arrive at the same answer, but you know that anyway!

If you are doing simple arithmetic, then often, it will not matter, but if you are working with very large or very small numbers it may be important.

Whenever you approximate, or introduce any other errors, such as rounding errors, these errors will get bigger if you subsequently multiply, but if you divide, then the error will get smaller. This does assume that the numbers you are multiplying or dividing by are greater than 1.

A simple example might be someone trying to calculate the value of gold in a 22ct coin or bar.

Let's start with 1 troy ounce of 22ct gold:

Divide 1 by 24 = 0.041666666666667, at least it does according to the spreadsheet I am using, which has rounded it to 15 decimal places, introducing a small error.

If you then multiply by 22, you should get 0.916666666666667, but in fact you will get 0.916666666666674 if you work with the rounded (approximate) number.

Both are incorrect, because the spreadsheet has rounded them, but the second result has had the error mulitplied by 22.

It is even worse if and when people work with numbers which have been rounded to fewer decimal places, for example assuming that 22ct is .916 fine rather than .9166 recurring.

Some of the above helps to differentiate between arithmetic and mathematics.

😎

Chards

11 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you are doing simple arithmetic, then often, it will not matter, but if you are working with very large or very small numbers it may be important.

Whenever you approximate, or introduce any other errors, such as rounding errors, these errors will get bigger if you subsequently multiply, but if you divide, then the error will get smaller. This does assume that the numbers you are multiplying or dividing by are greater than 1.

A simple example might be someone trying to calculate the value of gold in a 22ct coin or bar.

Let's start with 1 troy ounce of 22ct gold:

Divide 1 by 24 = 0.041666666666667, at least it does according to the spreadsheet I am using, which has rounded it to 15 decimal places, introducing a small error.

If you then multiply by 22, you should get 0.916666666666667, but in fact you will get 0.916666666666674 if you work with the rounded (approximate) number.

Both are incorrect, because the spreadsheet has rounded them, but the second result has had the error mulitplied by 22.

It is even worse if and when people work with numbers which have been rounded to fewer decimal places, for example assuming that 22ct is .916 fine rather than .9166 recurring.

Some of the above helps to differentiate between arithmetic and mathematics.

😎

You lost me when you started using numbers. 😁

7 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

For a moment I thought this was a session from the Open University ( Mathematics) Dept. of Didatics & Pedagogy. Pay attention Sid.....!😆😆 

If we're talking pedagogy, I'm clearly a kinesthetic learner. 😁

On 03/01/2023 at 10:07, SidS said:

You lost me when you started using numbers. 😁

On 03/01/2023 at 10:26, LawrenceChard said:

Most people can handle numbers, that's called arithmetic. It's when we get to symbols that most people get lost, that's called mathematics*.

* Except in American, where it is called "Math"!

😎

Rishi Sunak agree with me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-64158653

😎

Chards

Maths is maths, just using numbers for whatever… from shopping to travelling into space and beyond! Doesn’t really matter what anyone wants to call it as long as you know enough for what you want to do in life. Each to their own.😮🫢