• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1kg Silver damage

Fenlander1

Hello all spotted these 1kg bars on fleabay don't panic not thinking about buying just curious about the damage it looks like plating coming off. Just wondered on others thoughts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285081215132?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dtxu5mgbqkg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XV_rZwRPTDu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It could just be a poorly taken photo with reflections that makes it looks as though the silver bar (on the right) is peeling.

Edit: the seller is open to offers. Why not buy them, get them tested and then let us know like last time !  😉😁

Screenshot_20221219_214342_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.0f7792dd8b2f189de7897d1180eec45d.png

Edited by Happypanda88

Not sure what eBay are like for fake items refunds ect but ive seen bars go on here for same price so i wouldn't bother 

4 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

It could just be a poorly taken photo with reflections that makes it looks as though the silver bar (on the right) is peeling.

Edit: the seller is open to offers. Why not buy them, get them tested and then let us know like last time !  😉😁

I would but they don't come in a capsule and I do like an expensive capsule. 🤣

1 minute ago, Rains said:

Not sure what eBay are like for fake items refunds ect but ive seen bars go on here for same price so i wouldn't bother 

I am not buying just curious as what the opinions were.

3 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Screenshot_20221219_214342_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.0f7792dd8b2f189de7897d1180eec45d.png

Seems like an awful waste of time and energy. Obviously they will be 96% Ag 😆 

sorry @Fenlander1 I will get my coat.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Am I the only delinquent who read the title and pondered what damage I could do with a kilo of silver?

Those bars look like they need avoiding by a barge pole length measure.

Buy bricks from reputable refiners and from reputable sources is a motto you will not go too far wrong with!

Edited by MonkeysUncle

2 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Am I the only delinquent who read the title and pondered what damage I could do with a kilo of silver?

Those bars look like they need avoiding by a barge pole length measure.

Buy bricks from reputable refiners and from reputable sources is a motto you will not go too far wrong with!

Haha 😂  I like the thinking, not a news tile headline you see....weapon of choice metal brick

9 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello all spotted these 1kg bars on fleabay don't panic not thinking about buying just curious about the damage it looks like plating coming off. Just wondered on others thoughts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285081215132?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dtxu5mgbqkg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XV_rZwRPTDu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looking at his other items for sale I don't know how many times this bloke wants to sell the same bars 

7 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Looking at his other items for sale I don't know how many times this bloke wants to sell the same bars 

Probably used the same photos for all listings ( but has multiple available) 

Call me the external optimist, but I think the bars are OK but have been stored poorly. 

Doubt he got to 500+ feedback and has decided to go rogue. They are awful looking though and I genuinely wouldn't buy at spot.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

I have never seen silver peel layers like that. To continue my steep learning curve I thought someone else may have seen it and can explain why silver peels.

I don't actually believe it has ( I agree it looks like it has) but I think it's piss poor photography and possibly shadows. 

Here's a pic of how the SMP bullion and diamonds bars should look when new, I doubt anyone would try and fake such an obscure brand ( relatively speaking)

images (16).jpeg

The SMP bars, and those made at the same refinery that came after, usually have a pillow-like appearance. The stamped top surface undulates leading to odd reflections when taking pictures, the fact that they are usually quite shiny adds to this. They are usually very nice in hand because of these features. 

eBay is a c**p shoot but there are genuine sellers on there (many of our fine TSFers use it for sales), it's whether you deem the risk/reward ratio falls the right way. The likelihood of there being counterfeit SMP bars is probably low compared to the huge amount of dicey bars with internationally recognised branding.

Good morning i agree about ebay it is a c**p shoot, i have always done ok using ebay but being careful is the key there are definitely a few dodgy looking pieces around but I think the majority of sellers are genuine.

Maybe it is the light on these photos they looked odd to me and I wondered what the more experienced others thought about these bars.