• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How common is milk spotting on silver Britannia's? Is it closer to 1 in 2 or more like 1 in every 10 coins?

Solachesis

My first Britannia I bought was a 2022 one, and like a fifth of the entire coin is milky, it looks pretty bad.

Is this something to accept on the silver Brit? Or did I get a tad unlucky.

I just ordered the 2023 one, I know milk spots are considered acceptable due to the production process, but I'd quite like to be able to have a Britannia which looks nice. I know it's bullion, but still.

How are your experiences with silver Britannia's? 

I've been into PM's for a few months now and have had quite a few Silver Brits. Personally i haven't had single one with milk spotting. A little tarnishing on some older ones, however. Maples on the other hand...........not so lucky.

I think to get your first Brit like that is just a bit unlucky.

Other forum members may have different experiences.

12 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I've been into PM's for a few months now and have had quite a few Silver Brits. Personally i haven't had single one with milk spotting. A little tarnishing on some older ones, however. Maples on the other hand...........not so lucky.

I think to get your first Brit like that is just a bit unlucky.

Other forum members may have different experiences.

Thanks Dave, that's reassuring! I just want one really great condition one I can put in a nice capsule, the others I'm less fussy about. 

Oh and I have massive production/tube marks on Liz's head also 😂

It's pot luck to an extent. I believe some are minted here and some abroad (?) and there's no way to tell what you'll get. Some tubes are trash and some remain nice.

A good bet are the specials like the Orientals, never had a problem with those.

And yes it sucks :(

2 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Thanks Dave, that's reassuring! I just want one really great condition one I can put in a nice capsule, the others I'm less fussy about. 

Oh and I have massive production/tube marks on Liz's head also 😂

I once had a Brit come through with Liz having a goatee. I would say 1 in 5 of my Britt's went milky, maples are the worst, silver eagles are the best, never had a bad one. After years of collecting I don't tend to go 999 any more apart from collection for kids. 

3 minutes ago, ant1882 said:

You can get unlucky, I have a standard bullion Silver 1oz Little John that is a strange shade... kind of like the whole thing is milk spotted... or milk blobbed.

Sounds like quality control accidentally dunked it in their glass of milk, instead of their digestive biscuits! 

3 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I once had a Brit come through with Liz having a goatee. I would say 1 in 5 of my Britt's went milky, maples are the worst, silver eagles are the best, never had a bad one. After years of collecting I don't tend to go 999 any more apart from collection for kids. 

There's nothing wrong with 999, but 999 gold is better than 999 silver, and there's hardly any difference between 999, 9999, or 99999 gold!

😎

Chards

Most of my Brits are pretty milk spot free, my Philharmonics and early Maples are a different story! Unfortunately, milk spots are just kind of par for the course with silver bullion, but I have found that touching them with bare hands can make them significantly less appealing and seemed to promote milking on mine. Although a lot of mine were already showing signs when I got them as most were second hand. The new Brits that I have (mostly 2022's) have been in the tube pretty much all their life and are unblemished (I've had them out when I first got them just to check they were all present and correct). I've thrown a few silica gel packs in with the stack to keep any ambient moisture down as well. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

There's nothing wrong with 999, but 999 gold is better than 999 silver, and there's hardly any difference between 999, 9999, or 99999 gold!

😎

I maybe wrong but the majority of members collect 917 gold. A bit of alloy in a coin reduces the need for gloves, caps and clauses in a for sale post when trying to sell it on. It's not that I think there is anything wrong with 999 but I do find it a bit of a sales gimmick if you are just trying to stack metal. If you are a lover of shinny well designed coins then fill your boots, personally I like a coin that has stood the test of time.

33 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I maybe wrong but the majority of members collect 917 gold. A bit of alloy in a coin reduces the need for gloves, caps and clauses in a for sale post when trying to sell it on. It's not that I think there is anything wrong with 999 but I do find it a bit of a sales gimmick if you are just trying to stack metal. If you are a lover of shinny well designed coins then fill your boots, personally I like a coin that has stood the test of time.

Sure. What is wrote still stands.

I also like, and prefer, real coins which were made for circulation. For gold coins, this includes .900 and .917 alloys.

They are also better when there is some silver in the alloy, and not just copper.

😎

Chards