• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Memorial coins - advice needed

Hello

As you all probably know, the queens memorial coins are a mixture of limited and unlimited coins.

Of the unlimited mintage coins. Which do you think are the best buys? 

Do you think any of them will be lower mintages than the limited edition versions? (e.g. under 3000 minted)

Are the unlimited coins a waste of money? Are the Royal Mint charging limited edition prices for unlimited edition coins?

Tom

Edited by tom10101990

8 minutes ago, tom10101990 said:

Hello

As you all probably know, the queens memorial coins are a mixture of limited and unlimited coins.

Do you think any of them will be lower mintages than the limited edition versions? (e.g. under 3000 minted)

Are the unlimited coins a waste of money? Are the Royal Mint charging limited edition prices for unlimited edition coins?

Tom

Royal Mint retail prices are not determined by whether or not they are limited coins. The mint price is the mint price, regardless, and the secondary market determines whether or not mintage will influence the ongoing price.

None of the unlimited mintage coins will be a lower mintage the limited coins.

They will be a good buy if you want one, not if you want to sell one for a profit. 

5 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Royal Mint retail prices are not determined by whether or not they are limited coins. The mint price is the mint price, regardless, and the secondary market determines whether or not mintage will influence the ongoing price.

They will be a good buy if you want one, not if you want to sell one for a profit. 

When you say "they will be a good buy if you want one, not if you want to sell one for a profit", do you mean the limited or unlimited or both?

I don't think memorial coins are particularly popular outside a 5 year period after death. Look at the Diana memorial coins, they were popular for a few years, but now are hard to shift.  I am planning on getting a nice near uncirculated 50p from circulation when they are released, I don't mind waiting if an example only costs 50p.

I don't see any of these performing well in the future. These are definitely ones to buy because you like them - not because you expect to even get your money back in the years to come since that almost certainly won't happen.

I have no idea what the limited coins are or what the mintage numbers are for those but they'll always have the problem of being massively diluted by the unlimited mintage coins. These are coins that will be worth their metal content and little more in the years to come.

If you're looking for an investment I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

9 hours ago, tom10101990 said:

Memorial coins - advice neededHello

Tom

9 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

9 hours ago, tom10101990 said:

When you say "they will be a good buy if you want one, not if you want to sell one for a profit", do you mean the limited or unlimited or both?

9 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

The unlimited versions. No idea what the limited versions will do.

7 hours ago, Silverscrooge said:

I don't think memorial coins are particularly popular outside a 5 year period after death. Look at the Diana memorial coins, they were popular for a few years, but now are hard to shift.  I am planning on getting a nice near uncirculated 50p from circulation when they are released, I don't mind waiting if an example only costs 50p.

6 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I don't see any of these performing well in the future. These are definitely ones to buy because you like them - not because you expect to even get your money back in the years to come since that almost certainly won't happen.

I have no idea what the limited coins are or what the mintage numbers are for those but they'll always have the problem of being massively diluted by the unlimited mintage coins. These are coins that will be worth their metal content and little more in the years to come.

If you're looking for an investment I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

The answers, advice, and you have been received already are good.

It is not clear what advice you are seeking, and I suspect you are unsure about what you might need to know.

You could perhaps help yourself by asking yourself a few questions: 

Are you thinking of buying as an investment?

If so, you could read this first:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

Are you thinking of buying because you want a souvenir of the Queen?

If so, just buy what you like and can afford. Don't expect to make a profit on it, or even be able to get your money back for a long time.

Do you really think any unlimited mintage coins will have lower mintages than limited mintage coins? It sounds like an oxymoron to me!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards