• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign premiums

Hotdog

Does anybody know what the premiums have been on Gold Sovereigns in past years. The following is an extract from another site "in the 1960's there was a premium of 40% on trading gold sovereigns". What premiums would have been paid in past decades?

I started stacking 12 years ago and my sovereigns and half sovereigns were mostly purchased from HGM and BbP ( but some on eBay ) with premiums over spot between 2 and 3 % - MAXIMUM.
Bullion sovereigns weren't categorised by Monarch so these dealers just called a sovereign a sovereign and didn't care about dates and stuff selling on a FIFO basis generally the same day.
Some days these companies only had a few coins to sell and often none at all.
Now with many more people collecting and buying coins these bullion dealers have morphed into coin shops and many premiums are ridiculously high, but that's maybe what the market will bear, although I see this more "opportunist" if someone is so desperate to acquire a specific date.
Selling back to them, whether a Victorian shield reverse, or an FDC certificated proof, only gets you 97 - 98% ( 100% maybe but I've never had that offer ) of spot most of the time.

3 hours ago, Hotdog said:

Does anybody know what the premiums have been on Gold Sovereigns in past years. The following is an extract from another site "in the 1960's there was a premium of 40% on trading gold sovereigns". What premiums would have been paid in past decades?

The "other site" you mentioned probably got their information from here:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=collectingcoins.php

"What premiums would have been paid in past decades?"

Although you did not say which decades, or how many:

About the same as now, apart from 2008/9 when almost everybody, except for one Blackpool dealer, stuck their premiums up to take advantage!

😎

Chards

6 hours ago, Pete said:

I started stacking 12 years ago and my sovereigns and half sovereigns were mostly purchased from HGM and BbP ( but some on eBay ) with premiums over spot between 2 and 3 % - MAXIMUM.
Bullion sovereigns weren't categorised by Monarch so these dealers just called a sovereign a sovereign and didn't care about dates and stuff selling on a FIFO basis generally the same day.
Some days these companies only had a few coins to sell and often none at all.
Now with many more people collecting and buying coins these bullion dealers have morphed into coin shops and many premiums are ridiculously high, but that's maybe what the market will bear, although I see this more "opportunist" if someone is so desperate to acquire a specific date.
Selling back to them, whether a Victorian shield reverse, or an FDC certificated proof, only gets you 97 - 98% ( 100% maybe but I've never had that offer ) of spot most of the time.

A well known Blackpool dealer usually pays spot for sovereigns, and only occasionally less if they / we get far too many, or if there is a big gold price spike. Even then, it is 99% not 98% or 97% which some of the scrap dealers pay.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2022 at 15:13, Hotdog said:

Were other Gold coins from non UK also experiencing the same high premiums in the 1960s or was it just sovereigns?

1 minute ago, Hotdog said:

Were other Gold coins from non UK also experiencing the same high premiums in the 1960s or was it just sovereigns?

An interesting read is "Counterfeiter" The Story of a British Master Forger. Its the story of Charles Black (born Lewisham 1928) co-written by Michael Horsnell in 1989. He mentions that one of his associates made a fantastic living from sovereigns made in Switzerland from Lebanese dies (which reputedly contained a high amount of gold) and sold them at a high premium in London to well known concerns in the 60s. 

Another good read that I just finished is "The Art Of Making Money" the storey of a master counterfeiter by Jason Kersten, first printed in 2009. Its set in the USA and covers the life storey of Art Williams, born 1972.  "His notoriety came as being the first to break all the security features within the 1996-issued $100 bill"

On 20/09/2022 at 18:51, LawrenceChard said:

A well known Blackpool dealer usually pays spot for sovereigns, and only occasionally less if they / we get far too many, or if there is a big gold price spike. Even then, it is 99% not 98% or 97% which some of the scrap dealers pay.

😎

The above mentioned Blackpool dealer will soon be paying 101%, if not already.

😎

Chards

• 5 months later...
On 20/09/2022 at 18:47, LawrenceChard said:

The "other site" you mentioned probably got their information from here:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=collectingcoins.php

"What premiums would have been paid in past decades?"

Although you did not say which decades, or how many:

About the same as now, apart from 2008/9 when almost everybody, except for one Blackpool dealer, stuck their premiums up to take advantage!

😎

I never did get my head around what the premiums would have been. What mark-up was the Lebanese forger making on coins that were nigh on 22carat? I could see that there could be a fairly large mark-up if sending coins from the Gulf to India, which has always had a large Gold import tax, but would that same premium exist in the UK at the same time?