• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

newbie questions re handling coins when storing and checking spot price

GrayMan

Hi there,

I've bought some Royal Mint storage tubes from Bullion by Post. The ones that can store  10 x 1 oz gold Britania coins and have a yellow lid. 
Are these suitable for storing gold long term? and tips on handling coins when putting them into the tubes? Once in, I won't be touching them again. I keep reading pure gold coins can be scratched / dented easily and am not sure how fragile they are. 
There was a youtube video by Backyard Bullian where he used a towel to lay the coins on which I thought was a good idea. Any other tips on handling them would be appreciated.

What websites do people like to use when checking spot price before making a purchase? I like to make a note but have noticed the price shown can be very different on various websites.

Thank you 

If you are putting then in the tube and the tube is stationary I cannot see there being any harm.  If you like to handle the gold occasionally (who doesn't :)) and are worried jewellers gloves are inexpensive. 

Condition can affect how easy they are to sell on forums like this (dealers will not care on bullion brits) but as long as your not shaking the tube or dropping them :)  I personally put all gold in capsules then the capsules in airtite tubes.  I even do this with sovereigns which, I admit, is over-kill especially given I have a number of RM tubes which would take up far less space in my storage box.

Edited by Orpster

4 hours ago, Chandler365 said:

You could put your Britts in 33mm capsules  and then put those in a 40mm tube , ‘ coinsafe’ make a nice 40mm tube , then they are easy to handle , though you are not Physically touching the gold 🙂

That sounds good. I've found it quite difficult to buy any other tubes apart from Royal Mint ones. Can't remember if I looked at Coin Safe but I know for air tights, they were saying they only ship from the US and would have to pay shipping and extra charges 

12 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

That sounds good. I've found it quite difficult to buy any other tubes apart from Royal Mint ones. Can't remember if I looked at Coin Safe but I know for air tights, they were saying they only ship from the US and would have to pay shipping and extra charges 

This is how I store 1oz gold, direct fit airtite capsules and airtite H tubes - use the same tubes for 1oz silver but with 39mm capsules

2064596741_IMG_64961.thumb.JPG.8fa1dbe209f4e8cdc32e67f4292f77bb.JPG1223997021_IMG_64951.thumb.JPG.03996a55b9a07b78d3393c4ecc4f591e.JPG

21 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

I purchased a couple of these 👍 

6B8CACE0-06B5-4BF0-BAF6-3B9A57150C06.png

12 minutes ago, Orpster said:

This is how I store 1oz gold, direct fit airtite capsules and airtite H tubes - use the same tubes for 1oz silver but with 39mm capsules

2064596741_IMG_64961.thumb.JPG.8fa1dbe209f4e8cdc32e67f4292f77bb.JPG1223997021_IMG_64951.thumb.JPG.03996a55b9a07b78d3393c4ecc4f591e.JPG

I take it the cling film and moisture isn’t part of the coin collection😂 💦

Edited by Chandler365

6 hours ago, Orpster said:

If you are putting then in the tube and the tube is stationary I cannot see there being any harm.  If you like to handle the gold occasionally (who doesn't :)) and are worried jewellers gloves are inexpensive. 

Condition can affect how easy they are to sell on forums like this (dealers will not care on bullion brits) but as long as your not shaking the tube or dropping them :)  I personally put all gold in capsules then the capsules in airtite tubes.  I even do this with sovereigns which, I admit, is over-kill especially given I have a number of RM tubes which would take up far less space in my storage box.

Thanks and great tip re jewellers gloves. 

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

And leave it on the windowsill?

8 hours ago, GrayMan said:

Hi there,

I've bought some Royal Mint storage tubes from Bullion by Post. The ones that can store  10 x 1 oz gold Britania coins and have a yellow lid. 
Are these suitable for storing gold long term? and tips on handling coins when putting them into the tubes? Once in, I won't be touching them again. I keep reading pure gold coins can be scratched / dented easily and am not sure how fragile they are. 
There was a youtube video by Backyard Bullian where he used a towel to lay the coins on which I thought was a good idea. Any other tips on handling them would be appreciated.

What websites do people like to use when checking spot price before making a purchase? I like to make a note but have noticed the price shown can be very different on various websites.

Thank you 

Like others on here, I prefer to store my coins in capsules. No need to worry about them getting scratched when handling. It doesn't take up much more space either.

To check on the spot price gold (and silver), I use https://goldprice.org/

IMG_20220905_175938_mh1662461667623.thumb.jpg.4b067550db5ccae046e26bc90bd499bf.jpg

7 hours ago, Chandler365 said:

I use this link for spot prices , but most gold dealers have live prices for all PM 👍🌟

48DEF5A8-EDE3-4289-A385-8D3E7499F389.png

You are probably using that one, or BbP, who are one and the same company, usiing two different names, and  often different prices, because they, along with the Royal Mint, often appear at the top of Google and other search results. This in turn is probably because they are paying more to Google Adwords to get your attention.

Potential buyers, who might not be as knowledgeable, often lazily pick the best price out of the top 2 or 3 results on Google, and don't look any further for most of the better deals.

I realise you are only using their price feed and graph, and probably not buying from them.

For obvious reasons, I use this one:

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-price/gold-price-today

Although I would not do if it failed to give reliable results.

Somebody posted a graph of an strange price spike on your chosen (or BbP) chart a few days ago, which did not occur on the Chards feed.

You could always use those at the top of the TSF home page, but there was a big differential on their platinum chart a few days ago, while ours was in line with other price feeds I checked.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

You are probably using that one, or BbP, who are one and the same company, usiing two different names, and  often different prices, because they, along with the Royal Mint, often appear at the top of Google and other search results. This in turn is probably because they are paying more to Google Adwords to get your attention.

Potential buyers, who might not be as knowledgeable, often lazily pick the best price out of the top 2 or 3 results on Google, and don't look any further for most of the better deals.

I realise you are only using their price feed and graph, and probably not buying from them.

For obvious reasons, I use this one:

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-price/gold-price-today

Although I would not do if it failed to give reliable results.

Somebody posted a graph of an strange price spike on your chosen (or BbP) chart a few days ago, which did not occur on the Chards feed.

You could always use those at the top of the TSF home page, but there was a big differential on their platinum chart a few days ago, while ours was in line with other price feeds I checked.

😎

You are correct , I only use the chart for info  , which is handy just to see if there is a dip and a buying opportunity , generally I would use my local bullion dealer , but in this weeks instance they had no stock of 2022 1oz gold buffalo’s 🫤😂😂

hopefully they’ll be getting some ‘ minty’ ones in soon 

Edited by Chandler365