• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which coins to go for?

beacon

Hello. Saw these three gold coins today for sale slightly above spot. Are there any red flags regarding if they are fake?

• British Sovereign from 1911 (7.99 grams total, .916 purity)
  • Venezuela 1904 20 Bolivares (6.4 grams total, .900 purity)
  • The last one I believe is an Austria 1915 Ducat Restrike (3.49 gr. total, .986 purity).

I think I can only afford two in total for now. Which two coins,  might be the better options to go for? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Sovereign looks horrible I'm afraid, and (to my admittedly untrained eye) is almost certainly a fake. The detail is incredibly soft and flat. The other two i know nothing about, however as SidS said, the Ducat would be ringing alarm bells with me too if it looks like that in real life (and it's not just a poor photograph). If the 3 are from the same source, i would personally stay well clear and there would be a constant doubt in my mind that anything i bought wouldn't be genuine, no matter how good it looked.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the Sovereign and Ducat are fake. The Ducat look too gold like in person, in other words it was very yellowish.

The Venezuelan looks like it might be original. It was very reddish in person; possibly due to having 10% copper, 90% gold.

Edited by beacon

12 hours ago, beacon said:

Hello. Saw these three gold coins today for sale slightly above spot. Are there any red flags regarding if they are fake?

• The last one I believe is an Austria 1915 Ducat Restrike (3.49 gr. total, .986 purity).

I think I can only afford two in total for now. Which two coins,  might be the better options to go for? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would go for the obvious fake 1911 sovereign if I were you, but be sure to pay well under intriinsic for it, and also ask the seller why he is offering fake coins.

Meanwhile, try to translate the arabic looking stamp to the RHS of the head, although it may be initials. It would help to rotate the image.

😎

Chards

12 hours ago, beacon said:

7 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

Lol the sovereign 😂

6 hours ago, SidS said:

Well the sovereign is fake for certain.

The reverse of the ducat seems listless and flat too. It could just be the photo though.

5 hours ago, GBStacking said:

The Sovereign looks horrible I'm afraid, and (to my admittedly untrained eye) is almost certainly a fake. The detail is incredibly soft and flat. The other two i know nothing about, however as SidS said, the Ducat would be ringing alarm bells with me too if it looks like that in real life (and it's not just a poor photograph). If the 3 are from the same source, i would personally stay well clear and there would be a constant doubt in my mind that anything i bought wouldn't be genuine, no matter how good it looked.

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I would go for the obvious fake 1911 sovereign if I were you, but be sure to pay well under intriinsic for it, and also ask the seller why he is offering fake coins.

Meanwhile, try to translate the arabic looking stamp to the RHS of the head, although it may be initials. It would help to rotate the image.

😎

Here goes:

1389695517_1911fakesovonTSFrotatedcropped.jpg.7b6d09ca9d37b20ebf67f946a033652f.jpg

Someone shoulf be able to decypher the initials, although they could be much clearer and sharper.

MUM?

Has Muhammed's Underground Mint got no pride in its production standards?

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Here goes:

1389695517_1911fakesovonTSFrotatedcropped.jpg.7b6d09ca9d37b20ebf67f946a033652f.jpg

Someone shoulf be able to decypher the initials, although they could be much clearer and sharper.

MUM?

Has Muhammed's Underground Mint got no pride in its production standards?

And here's me thinking it was WNW - I must be Australian.

WNW - Wonga's Never Wrong.

Or Wronga's Never Wong.

Edited by SidS

18 minutes ago, SidS said:

And here's me thinking it was WNW - I must be Australian.

WNW - Wonga's Never Wrong.

Or Wronga's Never Wong.

So I don't crick my neck:

738631479_1911fakesovonTSFrotatedcroppedinverted.jpg.e801c70fe4654d2411afe73053a81a68.jpg

Technically and numismatically, if this was right way up, that lettering would be called "retrograde"

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Got a link for that?

I would like to read the description1

😎

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275443034496?hash=item4021af2980:g:lnYAAOSweMRjEN56&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoAlPilCuGGi%2BnHLg7cGaxdEcMT0yzSeRYlHnaN%2F38qmuwRS49Ezd7IK40I2O0aB4PVcZtpG8k%2FFYk07asWdaEIL5PK58b5L2%2Blj4RvXJsaL84ZGkxJl1oGDw2IMYZyOYukjmyCH13bDafreqbwc%2F5TvHGQR%2BPa3KzS8Y%2FjDhjStnt6jDDGdU5HLn6CNpjhFHdo5I6Cs8D%2BzuveZ24Z5q72U%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5zB1dvhYA

Old mate's ad is deceptive.

Ad title: 1911 Gold Sovereign - King George V - London. Rare Coin

Fine print:

THE LISTING IS FOR A RARE COLLECTIBLE

1911 GEORGIVS V.D.G BRITT GOLD COIN

PLEASE EXAMINE THE PICTURES AS YOU WILL GET THE EXACT COIN

WEIGHT: 2 gr/ 1.3dwt/ 0.065 ozt PURITY: 916.7

9 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275443034496?hash=item4021af2980:g:lnYAAOSweMRjEN56&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoAlPilCuGGi%2BnHLg7cGaxdEcMT0yzSeRYlHnaN%2F38qmuwRS49Ezd7IK40I2O0aB4PVcZtpG8k%2FFYk07asWdaEIL5PK58b5L2%2Blj4RvXJsaL84ZGkxJl1oGDw2IMYZyOYukjmyCH13bDafreqbwc%2F5TvHGQR%2BPa3KzS8Y%2FjDhjStnt6jDDGdU5HLn6CNpjhFHdo5I6Cs8D%2BzuveZ24Z5q72U%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5zB1dvhYA

Fine print:

TWO GRAMS!

That sounds like his "get out of jail" card.

Username:

3.2K items sold
260 followers

That speaks volumes about ebay!
😎

Chards

10 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Fine print:

Ironically he's telling the truth, this coin probably is rarer than a genuine London mint 1911 sovereign.

7 hours ago, Oddjob said:

Looks like it from the same panel beater that made this one floating around on Fleabay.

image.png.14520ba1a7b514cef38739e4ecf35ae5.png

7 hours ago, SidS said:

22ct brass.

I just took another look.

2 grams of 22ct has an intrinsic value of about $100 currently.

The item has 3 bids already, and stands at $155.

I realise I am in the wrong business!

😎

Chards