• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1881-C India Victoria 1 One Rupee Calcutta Mint Prooflike

• LawrenceChard changed the title to 1881-C India Victoria 1 One Rupee Calcutta Mint Prooflike
8 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

A very nice coin.

Had to lookup the rough valuation of this beauty on Numista but it doesn't give an estimate . 

A low mintage year of 2.43 million and in Prooflike condition. 

Estimated Value ? 

I had already looked on Numista, which gives:

1881 B dot 3 161 858                 1.6% Type A Bust, Type I Reverse
1881 B dot                   1.2% Type A Bust, Type IV Reverse
1881 C incuse 2 435 719                 1.1% Type A Bust, Type I Reverse

While the Numista project is a useful resource, it is rather hit and miss.

It does not appear to describe the difference between type I and type IV reverses, or where to find the mintmarks.

Other online resources partly fill the gap, but the best way is probably to get a known example of each to compare.

Of course, an online search is often the quickest, easiest, and most convenient way, but I decided it was time to get up, find a suitable copy of Krause World Coin, only to discover that I don't have a complete set at home, so will have to check when I next go to our showroom, and perhaps bring a spare copy home.

2,435, 719 sounds like quite a high mintage, so I would have expected to find numerous examples of it selling in different grades. This one is undoubtedly "minty", so I would expect it to be in the hundred of pounds, rather than the tens, but our daughter was doing some price research and failed to find any meaninglful examples, which seems to indicate it is rarer and more valuable than we first expected.

So, the short answer is I don't know, but then there is a lot more that I don't know than I do know, so I'm not entirely surprised.

😎

Chards

I think quality of Unc or about will make it highly desirable, however i also have no idea about valuation of this rupee.  Indian coins go up by a lot in past few years, and as per my local dealer friend, he is accumulating nice quality indian coins, n invest for let say 5-10 years from now on.  

for type of reverse, there is a link in the numista page, http://jfcampbell.us/india/victoria/rupee-rev.htm...see if it's useful.

Edited by Bruce06

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I had already looked on Numista, which gives:

1881 B dot 3 161 858                 1.6% Type A Bust, Type I Reverse
1881 B dot                   1.2% Type A Bust, Type IV Reverse
1881 C incuse 2 435 719                 1.1% Type A Bust, Type I Reverse

While the Numista project is a useful resource, it is rather hit and miss.

It does not appear to describe the difference between type I and type IV reverses, or where to find the mintmarks.

Other online resources partly fill the gap, but the best way is probably to get a known example of each to compare.

Of course, an online search is often the quickest, easiest, and most convenient way, but I decided it was time to get up, find a suitable copy of Krause World Coin, only to discover that I don't have a complete set at home, so will have to check when I next go to our showroom, and perhaps bring a spare copy home.

2,435, 719 sounds like quite a high mintage, so I would have expected to find numerous examples of it selling in different grades. This one is undoubtedly "minty", so I would expect it to be in the hundred of pounds, rather than the tens, but our daughter was doing some price research and failed to find any meaninglful examples, which seems to indicate it is rarer and more valuable than we first expected.

So, the short answer is I don't know, but then there is a lot more that I don't know than I do know, so I'm not entirely surprised.

😎

It does look like a lot of coins minted, however, considering the size of the country and the value of the coin, perhaps not as many as we may think. Certainly not as many surviving (at least in that condition?) as you would imagine?

1 hour ago, Petra said:

It does look like a lot of coins minted, however, considering the size of the country and the value of the coin, perhaps not as many as we may think. Certainly not as many surviving (at least in that condition?) as you would imagine?

There are certainly not many sales records for this exact coin type.

According to NGC:

PrAg G VG F VF XF 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
- - - - - - - - - - - - - 3000.00 - - - - - - -

701600176_1881CIndiaRupeeNGCcopy.thumb.jpg.5ed48168704beebbb8494673aa2be2f5.jpg

I found this on PCGS:

1204326700_1881CIndiaRupeePCGS.thumb.jpg.f4bf73a97181b907be180e5c837f5fe6.jpg

This is for the regular (non-proof) strike.

So it looks like our coin may be the highest graded example, although others may exist or come to light.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

I have now seen photos of the coin slabbed by NGC with a grade PF64:

1881PF64SilverVictoriaGothicIndianRupee1RupeeCoinNGCCollectableIndiaobvcrop.thumb.jpg.5bf995894e012d4d4ad71f4df67fe3fd.jpg

Restrike does not mean what it is used to mean on ebay (fake), and most of the proofs of this series are known to be restrikes, and rare.

I do not have full information about them. I am still learning!

1881PF64SilverVictoriaGothicIndianRupee1RupeeCoinNGCCollectableIndiarevcrop.thumb.jpg.c024e0a578a43d95a2a4ee79affc9af2.jpg

It's a good job we got good photos before it was slabbed.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards