• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another eBay oddity

pricha

A guy is selling a 1864 Sovereign for £350  post free buy it now. He's also listing the same coin as an auction starting £99. Checking he's feed back it looks like he waits for the auction to end then if its higher than the buy it know then he sells it to the highest bidder.  The buy it now just gets a refund. So anyone expecting a bargain today don't bank on it. 

I did wonder how that worked. My hobby used to be buying vintage watches and id see that trick all the time but never figured out why. Didnt dwell on it to be honest as none of my purchases were from these sellers.

Odly enough, my watch buying came to a grinding halt wnen i got into PMs....

I couldn’t see the listing but doesn’t surprise me one bit.

There was a person selling a lot of what appeared to be genuine Krugs week before last.  Each started at £1 and was then bid up to spot by the same two bidders at the same time. V odd - they all had the same bid down to the penny!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Years ago ebay used to boot shill bidders off the site after a couple of warnings but nowadays I wouldn't bet on it.  I'm not quite sure from the original post exactly what's going on with this one but it did used to be quite normal procedure to list an item for auction as well as having a listed buy it now price, although the buy it now price disappeared as soon as a bid came in.  To be honest I don't know what the rules on there are now about that.   I've had my day of buying high value items on ebay and now only use it for buying bits and pieces of tat..

Edited by flyingveepixie

2 hours ago, dicker said:

I couldn’t see the listing but doesn’t surprise me one bit.

There was a person selling a lot of what appeared to be genuine Krugs week before last.  Each started at £1 and was then bid up to spot by the same two bidders at the same time. V odd - they all had the same bid down to the penny!

I messaged the bloke and said why are you accepting bids when the coin has already been sold. It then disappeared.  So someone might get a bargain 😁

11 hours ago, pricha said:

A guy is selling a 1864 Sovereign for £350  post free buy it now. He's also listing the same coin as an auction starting £99. Checking he's feed back it looks like he waits for the auction to end then if its higher than the buy it know then he sells it to the highest bidder.  The buy it now just gets a refund. So anyone expecting a bargain today don't bank on it. 

He could have more than one 1964 sovereign, or he could be playing aome sort of dodgy game.

IMO, it is always including a link to his listing, his ebay page, or both, so members can find it/him, and form their own opinions.

Many years age (!5?), we used to sell on ebay, ususlly only things we had many of, so once one auction finished, we listed another one.

One buyer, seeing our relist, gave us a negative feedback, accusing us of reselling "his" coin which he had just "won".

Possibly because I am using a smaller screen than usual, I misread the OP as 1964 sovereign, I see it is an 1864!

Would be more unusual to have more than one of those, for most people at least.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.