• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with markings on cup (maybe kiddush?)

benj

The two headed bird mark is from a town that at the time was in Hungary, was part of then Austro  -Hungarian empire. However it is missing other marks you would expect to see from that time.

38 minutes ago, benj said:

Hello, 

Newbie here -- can someone help me identify this? Thanks in advance!!!

Ben

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 3.28.25 PM.png

I am sure TSF members will try to help you, but...

Have actually looked at the marks yourself, and thought what they say or mean?

What do you see?

What do you think they mean?

You may think my response is unhelpful, but it will help you far more than simply telling you the answer, as it will help you to think for yourself.

It would also let others know what you already know, so they don't have to waste time telling you something you already know, and can spend more time helping you progress beyond that.

😎

Chards

Hi, @benj.

The town hallmark with double headed crowned eagle it is for sure for Kamenetz-Podolsk, before 1880, when the town mark has changed.

Kamenetz-Podolsk is actually in Ukraine, but was before in the Kingdom of Poland until 1648 (this is why crowned double eagle mark),  when after a long civil war, the Poland-Lithuanian Union has dissolved and part of Poland and Ukraine was integrated in Russian Empire.

The number 84 is showing the purity of silver. 84 zolotniki = 84/96 = 875/1000 silver. 

The three letters stamped are the maker mark, difficult to know the name now. After 1700 was mandatory stamped the year under the maker mark. On your goblet is missing, meaning it was made before 1700.

From all these informations, we can deduct that your goblet was made in Kamenetz-Podolsk between 1648 and 1700 using silver .875.

Your town mark of Kamenetz-Podolsk can be seen on this page: https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_02.htlm.

About the balance shown on first stamp, I can only speculate, I can not find any informations.

Very nice goblet!🤗

Stefan.

Edited: the link is not opening the exactly page, I don't know why, so I have added two pictures of my screen with more details.

IMG_20220725_113252_9.jpg

IMG_20220725_113321_6.jpg

Edited by stefffana