• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Piedfort and proof coins

Hi all,

Seems like a random question, BUT do piedfort and silver proof coins (50p £1 £2 etc) make an alternative choice to bullion? - The reason why I am asking is that I am looking into silver stacking (I am feeling like its a bit of a risky game - based on everything I am reading online) and looking at alternatives

My logic behind the question is: The piedfort and proof coins still have an amount of silver content (not 1oz of course, but it is still silver) and there is also the collectors side of it too, which by my own admission would be where most of the value is held or lost. Am I just living in a dream world? Or is there some truth behind what I am saying/asking? 

On certain coins released there can be truth in what your saying ( which coin becomes a hit/sought after is a lottery at best)

In my humble opinion only buy proof coins based on whether you love the design or not,never on future gains...the whole proof side of collecting value wise has taken a knock in recent months...too many coins coming to market and far to much quality control issues from the Royal Mint, not to mention they are releasing different coins every other week...

For example a proof 1oz silver coin being released today will cost £95... which could of got you 4 x 1oz bullion coins?? As you can see if you want the most bang for your buck,then bullion will trump proofs....there will be the odd exception to this rule but trying to guess which proof will become sought after is as mentioned a lottery. 

Take a good look around the forum ,study the sales pages and you will get a sense of what certain items go for.then you can make a decision on which direction you want to go. Take your time and don't rush anything and most of all enjoy the journey. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Hey,

I appreciate the reply!

I am not too sure what direction I want to go, I did stack a few years ago but had to sell up because of personal circumstances, and now I am looking at getting back into it, but in a different way I guess. In a way that satisfies the collector and also the "one eye on the future" mindset. 

I think the strategy will end up being bullion for the bulk and proof and piedforts as a collector POV.

11 hours ago, Mcflappers said:

Hi all,

Seems like a random question, BUT do piedfort and silver proof coins (50p £1 £2 etc) make an alternative choice to bullion? - The reason why I am asking is that I am looking into silver stacking (I am feeling like its a bit of a risky game - based on everything I am reading online) and looking at alternatives

My logic behind the question is: The piedfort and proof coins still have an amount of silver content (not 1oz of course, but it is still silver) and there is also the collectors side of it too, which by my own admission would be where most of the value is held or lost. Am I just living in a dream world? Or is there some truth behind what I am saying/asking? 

That's not random.

If you are happy to wait long enough, it is often possible to buy some proof and / or piedfort issues at or close to bullion prices.

Risky game? If you buy new silver, you are paying 20% VAT, with a severe effect on any risk / reward ratio.

You get better odds by buying gold if it is for investment.

See 

For aesthetics, just buy what you like the look of.

"based on everything I am reading online"

Although there is undoubtedly some good advice online, there is also a lot of fake news, and people lobbying for their own interest, so it is worth thinking about who you should believe.

😎

Chards