• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are there Sterling Silver bullions?

As per title, other than historical items, is there anyone producing these days Sterling Silver bullions?

I ask as it seems to be that pure Silver is prone to being damaged and I wouldn't mind getting some alloy, however, while for Gold we have the Sovereign available, I couldn't see anything available for Silver other than historical items.

2 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

As per title, other than historical items, is there anyone producing these days Sterling Silver bullions?

I ask as it seems to be that pure Silver is prone to being damaged and I wouldn't mind getting some alloy, however, while for Gold we have the Sovereign available, I couldn't see anything available for Silver other than historical items.

I am not 100% sure of this but I "think" to be classed as bullion it needs to be 99.5% pure which is the reason the Britannia coin went from being made of 95.8% silver (Britain's silver) to 99% silver. I do have a small collection of ingots that are quiet nice and stamped up. Just search sterling silver ingot on eBay and can get some decent deals sometimes. 

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

I've seen plenty of second hand .925 proof coins at spot or just over spot on most forums. I often see them advertised by weight and, to me, are the obvious choice for stacking. As long as you're not looking for anything aesthetically pleasing 😁

Stacking purposes, I don't care about them being nice.

46 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I am not 100% sure of this but I "think" to be classed as bullion it needs to be 99.5% pure which is the reason the Britannia coin went from being made of 95.8% silver (Britain's silver) to 99% silver. I do have a small collection of ingots that are quiet nice and stamped up. Just search sterling silver ingot on eBay and can get some decent deals sometimes. 

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

I haven't seen anything about, will keep an eye out on eBay.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

43 minutes ago, Mobius said:

There's the Maria Theresa thaler, but they're only .833 silver, not Sterling.

Mobius.

Cheers! Is this still being produced? I could find references only up to the 1960s.

27 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Cheers! Is this still being produced? I could find references only up to the 1960s.

Absolutely! The Austrian Mint keeps producing ca. 10-20 thousand coins per year, although with emphasis on proof strikes, for which they ask huge premium, so these coins currently don't represent the value for money you are probably looking for...

22 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Are there Sterling Silver bullions?

What are "bullions"?

See

BTW - "Bullions"

We sometimes see people and websites talking about "a bullion", or "bullions", often referrring to bullion bars as opposed to bullion coins. This is of course illiterate nonsense, usually from non-native-English speakers. The word "bullion" is what is known as a "mass noun".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun

Some asians refer to "bullions", and from their context, they appear to mean bullion bars as opposed to bullion coins. As English is not their first language, I think it is safe to assume that their usage stems from a misunderstanding.

😎

Chards

44 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

What are "bullions"?

See

BTW - "Bullions"

We sometimes see people and websites talking about "a bullion", or "bullions", often referrring to bullion bars as opposed to bullion coins. This is of course illiterate nonsense, usually from non-native-English speakers. The word "bullion" is what is known as a "mass noun".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun

Some asians refer to "bullions", and from their context, they appear to mean bullion bars as opposed to bullion coins. As English is not their first language, I think it is safe to assume that their usage stems from a misunderstanding.

😎

Thanks! That clarifies a lot.

Still, I take from your lack of mention of any Sterling Silver bullion that I'm out of luck 😭

22 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

From the LBMA Specifications for London Good Delivery Bars:

Fineness: the minimum acceptable fineness is 999.0 parts per thousand silver.

Fineness: the minimum acceptable fineness is 995.0 parts per thousand fine gold.

But the above is only for London Good Delivery Bars.

"Bullion" could be almost anything.

😎

Chards