• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof coins into flips

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone had any tips/ methods they would like to share on removing proof coins from capsules to then put into coin flips without doing any harm to the coin itself?

Thanks in advance. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone had any tips/ methods they would like to share on removing proof coins from capsules to then put into coin flips without doing any harm to the coin itself?

Thanks in advance. 

My advice is do not do it.

Keep the coin in the capsule and place the capsule in the flip.

That's my method when sending coins for grading.

Edited by goldhunter

Quite straightforward.

Open the capsule by pulling or screwing off one side. Put to one side.

Take a Saflip and open up one side, hold open between two fingers. Hold the flip horizontally.

Pick up the capsule and tip the coin on to the horizontal flip,  and let the coin slide into the open size.

Very easy to do with little practice, I haven't failed to get the coin into the flip with no issues or touching.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Quite straightforward.

Open the capsule by pulling or screwing off one side. Put to one side.

Take a Saflip and open up one side, hold open between two fingers. Hold the flip horizontally.

Pick up the capsule and tip the coin on to the horizontal flip,  and let the coin slide into the open size.

Very easy to do with little practice, I haven't failed to get the coin into the flip with no issues or touching.

Had great success with this method. 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

If you've got a spare capsule, put a 5p, 10p or 20p coin in the capsule (whichever coin fits) and practise with those first.

I haven't done the above, but I have put gold proof coins into flips and it was okay, if you take your time over it.

If you feel you need to hold the coin in anyway, like I do, gently tip the coin forward, which is sat at the bottom part of the capsule and hold it at the edge with your thumb and index finger (the one you pick your nose with 😯) and as you know, never touch the table.

I've achieved PR70's after doing this, but only because of the care I took.

If you touch the table with your finger, you're best to ask for restoration  / conservation to remove any prints.

Good luck.