• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Odd blemish on Gold Proof Kennedy Half Dollar

elvee426

I recently purchased some coins privately and wanted to ask about one of them to see if anyone can shed light on a blemish.  The coin is a gold proof 50th anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar, and the blemish is obvious on the front, less so on the rear where it appears at about 4 o'clock on the edge.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what this is?

2. Can it be fixed (I assume not)

3. How would this effect the price? Link to Chards Listing (£1563 at time of posting)

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Kennedy Half Dollar Front.jpg

Kennedy Half Dollar Rear.jpg

This looks like some copper spotting to me, though the one on the obverse shows a blueish hue in the center and I have personally not seen that before. The spot on the reverse does look like a classic copper spot. This can happen (even on .9999 fine gold) due to residue on the dye/planchet during the minting process. It may not be visible for a period of time (can be months or years) but gradually develop.

There are some methods on removing these spots from a coin, but fair warning that this MAY (it doesn't have to) cause some minor damage to the coin, so I would strongly advise to do further research in how to remove them OR have it submitted for professional conservation since it's a proof. If this was just a bullion coin I wouldn't be too fussed about attempting the removal myself, but with a proof I wouldn't want to touch it.

This video from Backyard Bullion explains the above a bit more and shows the method of cleaning spots with tinfoil/bakingsoda and water: 

Best of luck, beautiful coin either way and interesting weight.

Alex

1 hour ago, James32 said:

You not like tinfoil?

It was invented for making hats... not cleaning coins!

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, Alex944 said:

The spot on the reverse does look like a classic copper spot.

Thanks for the info!  I'll watch the video, but...

3 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

DO NOT attempt to clean with baking soda and tinfoil

.. I won't attempt myself!  May look into having it done professionally, or just take the hit on the value.

Not something I would do, however I assume that there is a chemical reaction with the foil and baking soda. Whether this combination then reacts with copper?

not sure what if anything else you could practice on!

Best to leave it