• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Panda packaging

KevinFlynn

Silver Panda Packaging

Call me dumb or point me to the right thread or article please. But what is the original mint packaging of Silver Panda Coins?

I know there have been changes over the years, but I have seen individual capsules, single capsules in somewhat flimsy foil, large 30 piece form plastic sheets (in foil), 15 piece plastic trays  with clamps and hinges, possibly with foil, somewhat cheap looking yellow brown master boxes.

Is there a list of the packaging progression? And what is the current (2020s) original mint packaging?

And do people actually keep those sheets or trays? It seems like a lot of space overhead for a little silver.

I have Pandas in sheet plastic with Chinese quality control stickers on the sheet.
I also have plastic trays with Pandas.
Then some earlier Pandas that were individually bagged with a QC paper slip inside.
Sellers of single coins can easily place the coin inside a plastic bag and heat seal it.
Lots of good fakes around so you need to trust your supplier and ignore the packaging.
I remove the wrapping and discard packaging from my Pandas but none of them are key dates.

From memory (have been told by others), the first couple of years of Ag Pandas came in just a cheap PVC flip...not surprisingly the flips deteriorated and marking the coin, so by the late 1980's the coins were put in capsules, then sealed in PVC sheets. Don't think the tray format came in use until the late to late 2000's.

A couple of years back I picked up a sheet (30 coins) of the 2015 1oz Ag Pandas...the last year pre going to 30g per coin. Still sitting in original capsules in plastic tray and sealed baggie.

Looks like Panda packaging for 30g Ag coins hasn't changed much. 2022 unboxing from a couple of weeks ago of both Ag and Au below.

Ah thanks.

Browsing dealers, I can find Silver Pandas 2022 in offers of 1 in capsule, 15 in tray and 450 in masterbox, 30 in sheet and 600 in masterbox.

I guess that would mean two types of masterboxes, one with trays, one with sheets 🤔

This picture is not 2022s though...

00002__panda_neu.jpg.5bf9712fd0228b460794105802c797c8.jpg

Found a dealer with 30 sheets and 450 masterboxes. I'm confused 🤫

Edited by KevinFlynn

Regarding 1oz/30g silver pandas, the last year of plastic film sheets was 2005. These were in capsules inside individually sealed sheets of I think 10 that could then be cut up into singles.

Since 2006 there were no film pouches around capsules. 

I am not sure when the trays began but I have seen 2015s in flimsy trays of 30 like you get biscuits in,  and 2016s in rigid hinged trays of 15 which they have come in since then. 

@DavePanda would be able to fill the gaps here. 

Edited by arphethean

2 hours ago, arphethean said:

Regarding 1oz/30g silver pandas, the last year of plastic film sheets was 2005. These were in capsules inside individually sealed sheets of I think 10 that could then be cut up into singles.

Since 2006 there were no film pouches around capsules. 

I am not sure when the trays began but I have seen 2015s in flimsy trays of 30 like you get biscuits in,  and 2016s in rigid hinged trays of 15 which they have come in since then. 

@DavePanda would be able to fill the gaps here. 

Just to add that the 30 coin trays were from 2007, the original from 1989 to 2005 were indeed as described in sheets of 10, with the ability to cut them out individually.

There were 20,000 2006s in the same original seal as from 1989-2005, (after some initial complaints about the change), however I am not sure if these were ones or sheets of 10s (I have never seen a sheet of 10 of these). So if you do see "double sealed" Pandas from 2007 onwards, it is a huge red light on their authenticity, some of the fakes have rounded edges on the seal which of course would be impossible if they were in the original style. Oddly I also think (this is only my opinion) that the mint changed their capsules slightly in 2006, since way more than any before or since of this year had large amounts of toning, despite been kept in the capsule.

As an aside and compounding the confusion, one of the largest dealers in China, for a short period of time, sealed some of the later years in original style, apparently with contacts from one of the mints, I suspect this was criticised as this appeared to be short lived, long and short, IMHO  any Double sealed after 2006, give a wide berth!

Obviously some people will put their own none mint seal around the coins to protect them, there are a couple of people on the forum who do this, this is pretty obvious to see that this is what it is and no attempt to confuse is done, however, taken with above comments it could to the untrained eye put some people off buying them!

I agree with above comment regarding the 2015s onwards.

Regarding the Chinese label inside the sheets of 10, only 1 of the coins had this QC label in each sheet, except 2002 when all individual coins in the sheet did.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DavePanda
additional info