• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

On This Day - 14 October 1969 The First 50p Coin

Just got today's promo e-mail from the Royal Mint (mis?)Informer.

Basically it's a sales pitch for its range of new gold, silver, and base metal proof, and B.U. commemoratives.

Here's an old, low-res photo of one which I took about 20 years ago:

1969fiftypenceobv400.jpg.5ea9da0b37afce512e7064dce13d7bb9.jpg

That happened to be the best example we could find at the time. Strangely enough, minty 1969 fifty pences don't seem to turn up very often. If we see one, we will get a better photo.

The above photo was from our very first website:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=fiftypencestory.html

amd was probably written in about 2000.

There are no plans to update that page.

Chards

• 3 weeks later...

I received a couple of very minty specimens of 1969 50p coins in 1990, over the counter in the betting shop that I was working in.

I asked the shop manager's permission to exchange £1 from my own pocket for these two 50p coins.  I still have both of them; one is better than the other, but both are virtually UNC.

It just goes to show that you never know when something like this will turn up, 20-plus years later!

6 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I received a couple of very minty specimens of 1969 50p coins in 1990, over the counter in the betting shop that I was working in.

I asked the shop manager's permission to exchange £1 from my own pocket for these two 50p coins.  I still have both of them; one is better than the other, but both are virtually UNC.

It just goes to show that you never know when something like this will turn up, 20-plus years later

Good job done👍

On 29/10/2021 at 21:05, Stuntman said:

It just goes to show that you never know when something like this will turn up, 20-plus years later!

That is tragic and so evocative. Whenever i get a minty coin in my change (that's obviously come from a set) i have mixed feelings. Pleasure in finding them and a little sadness as i imagine the story of how they ended up as regular shrapnel 🤨