• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Morgan Dollars in Rolls - another EBay Scam

dicker

Over the last few years I have seen a proliferation of Morgan dollar “rolls” on eBay - predominantly for sale in the US.

These frequently have a relatively desirable coin at one end the end of the roll to tempt the buyer…..they are, almost without exception another eBay scam.  All of the Morgan’s are genuine but the ends coins are usually the only good ones.

I have never been tempted as these look like an obvious scam, but took time to discuss with a dealer today in the US who confirmed that it would s “just another eBay scam”.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I have seen a few examples that seemed genuinely like a good deal, particularly CrazyRussianHacker on YouTube.  I have no idea which seller he picked them up from or if he's full of s***, but just wanted to throw out the possibility that not all of them are scams.

That said, I would not recommend anyone on here buy one unless you're the type of person to play the lottery or believe the phonecall from the unknown person about your vehicle warranty expiring.

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Been seeing these for years now, always assumed a scam but they always seemed to attract top money.

You are more observant than me!

51 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

Morgan dollars came from the banks in bags not rolls anyway so surly no one believes they are buying an original bank roll of morgans

I did originally wonder whether the banks ever did make up rolls, I think they did with smaller denomination coins. These immediately triggered my scam radar so I never got around to checking on the validity of the roll concept for Morgans.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, Dan12345 said:

Of course it's a scam, they are made up rolls just to get more money for the coins then they would if sold separately.

Morgan dollars came from the banks in bags not rolls anyway so surly no one believes they are buying an original bank roll of morgans

While essentially I do agree with this post, I want to point out that banks in the 1970s did legitimately assemble silver dollar rolls with no regard for condition or rarity.

The question is - do any of those rolls still exist today?  Extremely unlikely. 

The popular scam involves putting eye popping silver dollars on either end of the roll and filling the middle with duds.  If a bank had randomly placed these coins in a roll out of all of the possible varieties, what are the odds of a "CC" or "DMPL" in MS condition just happening to land on either end? 

Extremely unlikely.

Whereas, beautiful discoveries such as the following are of course entirely genuine.  I would pay decent money for the pictured $1000 sack!

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/us-silver-dollars/numismatic-time-capsule-examining-a-hoard-of-thousands-of-silver-dollars/

31 minutes ago, MetalMandible said:

While essentially I do agree with this post, I want to point out that banks in the 1970s did legitimately assemble silver dollar rolls with no regard for condition or rarity.

The question is - do any of those rolls still exist today?  Extremely unlikely. 

The popular scam involves putting eye popping silver dollars on either end of the roll and filling the middle with duds.  If a bank had randomly placed these coins in a roll out of all of the possible varieties, what are the odds of a "CC" or "DMPL" in MS condition just happening to land on either end? 

Extremely unlikely.

I think the idea of the scam is that the banks would be likely to assemble a roll out of a bag of coins from one year and one mint. This would have been done soon after the discovery of all those bags in bank vaults in the early 60's. I have seen some with a MS CC Morgan at each end but who knows what in between.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon