• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How often does modern RM proof milk in NGC holders?

Touvex

I'm thinking of getting the 1oz QB proof silver (original) - but not sure as I've heard lots of horror stories of them milking in the holders over time... Does anyone have experience of this? What's the likely hood they will milk in the case - I guess it's pretty low? Thanks!

13 hours ago, Touvex said:

I'm thinking of getting the 1oz QB proof silver (original) - but not sure as I've heard lots of horror stories of them milking in the holders over time... Does anyone have experience of this? What's the likely hood they will milk in the case - I guess it's pretty low? Thanks!

Every silvet coin can build milkspots over time and for sure at some point it will start toning. Main problem is, that some RM coins come direct from the mint with spots. You want to be 100% sure your coin does not get milkspots, buy gold

I've not bought new from the mint since the queens beasts started. I had terrible milk spots on the proofs and TBH not much has changed except the rocketing prices the rm charge. Any few items i buy are from a third party source that checks the quality before selling on. The uk lunar proofs i stopped too due to quality and the designs got really really bad IMHO.

7 hours ago, motorbikez said:

@StackemHigh which silver proofs 1oz queens beasts?

The first two queens beasts and some of the early lunar proofs. The weird ways of the rm releasing some coins in a series then missing some or cutting series short hacks me off as a collector and even when i'm buying as a stacker unnecessarily poor quality the rm churns out with astounding regularity me bamboozles and their premiums too £95.00 for a poorly designed year of the pig, while perth mint charge their customers around $70 for a regular well produced proof.

I'd easily buy from the mint again but the quality of their merch being just so poor at the moment i couldn't spend that sort of money on such a wild gamble. 

Both NGC and PCGS and to an extent ANACS(if you google the last, there are quite a few discussions about them) , never really mentioned anything with regards to white spots at the start,

and it has only been the last few years that their views have changed.

Originally from what I can remember they had no mention of what happens to coins in which the milk spot became detrimental to a coins value and grade,

so due to omission would have likely been covered by their guarantee, this would have been my understanding, however now,

https://www.ngccoin.uk/submit/coins-we-grade/white-spots/   

https://www.pcgs.com/silver-coins-spot-policy

Both companies have now said that any of their coins, that have been graded prior to spotting appearing will not be guaranteed the grade stated,

and that milk spotting visible on coins to be graded will be taken into account.

So in reality if you pick up a MS69/PF69 with milk spots, is it a 69 due to the milk spots being visible at grading or is now a  66/67 because it has developed spotting after encapsulation.

Either way NGC and PCGS take your money and will guarantee nothing with regards to the coin.      

Having said that you could always keep looking for an unmarked PF70 version, at least if anything does appear, that will be the only problem with the coin,

whereas an ungraded coin could have other issues.

I always use Silica Desiccant in my storage boxes,as it helps with humidity, which some have linked to milk spotting, although not proven.      

Edited by Wampum
wrong insert

3 hours ago, motorbikez said:

@StackemHigh you've been very unlucky with the 1oz QB proofs then, re the lunars I remember the 1oz horse being a shocker for spotting that's why I never bothered with that series.

Also the designs on the lunar series is absolutely shocking... look at the dog... 🤢

As a Chinese person, i am deeply offended 😅

Lunar Year of the Dog | The Royal Mint

Edited by Touvex