• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk Spots on Silver Coins

I s'pose the 'seeds' might be a reaction site with the milk being a silver compound? It would need a liquid medium to give the shape though.  I guess, but I keep coming back to the rubber method. It seems that the layer is not penetrating the coin?

Edited by Widsith
More info

Seeing as .925 silver is almost three times as hard as .999 silver then the proposition that the striking process introduces contaminants into the silver (which cause a chemical change/reaction) bears some weight. IF milk spots are a predominantly .999 silver probem...

Has anyone tied the recent milk spotting problems on the queens beasts to covid yet ? Perhaps they are sneezing and coughing whilst carrying out QC a lot more than usual ?

Only one of these suggestions is made with sincerity.

• 4 weeks later...

I know, they are damaged coins now, but my son loves experiments, especially since he got chemistry lessons in school. So i took two of my many milkspotted completers of my stack and wanted to show him, how reactive silver is and give this coins a "rainbow" toning. Not possible, to show all the colors you can see from different directions now, it looks more like a blue/purple/orange/gold/red Opal, than like a rainbow. After 30 minutes in a Tupper with an egg, the milkspot on the greyhounds nose still visible, so we will not get rid of them in hundred years. But the coins reacted very different. And no, i don't like selfmade "rainbow patina".

20211001_154734.jpg

20210930_181729.jpg

20210930_181127.jpg

20210930_161242.jpg

20210928_185007.jpg

Edited by dikefalos

On 04/09/2021 at 19:43, MonkeysUncle said:

Ah, I think you're onto something.

The QC man at RM is obviously drinking milk and eating cookies whilst sneezing a lot due to covid. So it's real milk, real Oreo's and real covid... ;)

He sure does get about then!

Edited by StackemHigh