• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Genuine or fake sovereign? Discussion topic.

Foster88

Many new members are asking the same question, is my sovereign real or fake?

It is a question that is asked often here  and I thought it’s time it deserved a new ‘thread’.

I don’t have a ‘fake’ sovereign to share but as many on the forum see there are many, thankfully, genuine sovereigns but there are also many ‘fakes’ out there.

I wish there weren’t but it happens with anything of any real value.

It’s sadly something we have to live with but if we can find and educate the newer members about the fakes, as a community, we should and I have no doubt that we will.

We only want to see genuine sovereigns here but we’ll happily tell you if it’s a fake.

Edited by Foster88

• Foster88 changed the title to Real or fake sovereign? Discussion topic.
1 hour ago, vicamy said:

A good article about fakes, forgeries and counterfeits of sovereigns from Chards @LawrenceChard

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/fakes-forgeries-and-counterfeit-gold-coins-and-sovereigns/167

Thanks.

It's time we improved or extended that page to included better photos, possibly using some comparison images of real and fake side by side. The main obstacle is time itself. We have been working flat out for most of the past 18 months, dealing with orders, and trying to speed incoming supplies of new bullion coins.

I still take time to study incoming fakes, and get photos of them, usually with Niton XRF results, but writing the descriptions to go onto a blog or info page takes much longer.

The article you linked also has a link to one of our YouTube videos (about the 1918 London Mint fake sovereign). It is just one of about 60 YouTube videos we created, including a small series about various counterfeit coins. More to follow, but producing videos takes even more time.

Chards

42 minutes ago, dicker said:

One think that @ChrisSilver might want to consider is making it a premium member only topic - or not searchable.  

If I was a forger it would be my go to post on what to improve.

Best

Dicker

Ah, you make a very good point.

Maybe this would be better in the premium section. I created the thread here as many seem to ask if their sovereigns are genuine.

Do you think it should be moved @ChrisSilver?

5 hours ago, dicker said:

One think that @ChrisSilver might want to consider is making it a premium member only topic - or not searchable.  

If I was a forger it would be my go to post on what to improve.

Best

Dicker

I think it is better if any collector or investor knows about fakes, and has access to information about them.

A really determined counterfeiter would be able to create almost undectable fakes anyway, using modern technology and equipment, and they would almost certainly concentrate on circulation coins. there would be no profit in making counterfeit gold sovereigns as the premiums are so low, and they would be detected if they were substandard (deficient gold content).

I don't know if anyone remembers, but a few years ago, perhaps 5 or 6, a Netherlands based private mint had tooled up to make millions of high quality UK £1 and £2 coins, and €1 and €2 coins, by the million. They were caught possibly before any went into circulation.

A search might find some news articles from the time.

Chards

• Foster88 changed the title to Genuine or fake sovereign? Discussion topic.