• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Good time to invest in gold right now?

muneeb

Hi there,

I am wanting to invest in gold , around 10 g. Is it a good time to invest in bars? 

also coins, are coins a good investment as I am new to coins and don’t know much about this market. At the moment I have got the 1oz queen beast 2021 in 1oz gold and 2 x 2oz silver. Any other coin suggestions ?

If there are any good links of cheap deals someone can provide that would be helpful.

regards

If you're investing for the long term then I'd say any time to buy is a good time. I've had better fortunes with gold coins rather than bars in the short/medium term, and especially with the queen's beast series. Sometimes bars can be viewed with suspicion, whereas I don't know of any convincing QB fakes. Other leading mint coins can be faked but they're becoming more secure like the 2021 britannia. Royal mint pieces are also CGT exempt so better for tax if you plan to grow and large stack and offload suddenly.  Coins can appreciate beyond the price of gold - early QB are a case in point particularly the griffin and lion.

The forum is a good place to pick up both gold and silver - particularly silver due to VAT savings. 

Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, muneeb said:

Hi there,

I am wanting to invest in gold , around 10 g. Is it a good time to invest in bars? 

also coins, are coins a good investment as I am new to coins and don’t know much about this market. At the moment I have got the 1oz queen beast 2021 in 1oz gold and 2 x 2oz silver. Any other coin suggestions ?

If there are any good links of cheap deals someone can provide that would be helpful.

regards

Read up on PM first, there is no quick answer to your question imo.

What I do know: If you are in it for the long run I would say any time is as good as any to start buying gold. For the quick flip and trying to make it rich quick I think PM is not the way to do that. 

And in case that you would buy gold coins (better than bars imo) i would recommend buying sovereigns. Small premiums, quick and easy to buy and sell and you can stack or collect (thousands of different kind of sovs out there)

2 hours ago, Jvw said:

Read up on PM first, there is no quick answer to your question imo.

What I do know: If you are in it for the long run I would say any time is as good as any to start buying gold. For the quick flip and trying to make it rich quick I think PM is not the way to do that. 

And in case that you would buy gold coins (better than bars imo) i would recommend buying sovereigns. Small premiums, quick and easy to buy and sell and you can stack or collect (thousands of different kind of sovs out there)

I’m really interested in sovereigns but don’t know much about which ones are good to buy and for how much. Are there any coins you recommend? Also do these increase in value?

regards

2 hours ago, Davey1800 said:

If you want to convert your fiat into real money, then it’s always a good time to buy gold. For investment purposes? No. For conserving your wealth? Yes.

Thank you! Makes sense. 

4 hours ago, harrygill111 said:

If you're investing for the long term then I'd say any time to buy is a good time. I've had better fortunes with gold coins rather than bars in the short/medium term, and especially with the queen's beast series. Sometimes bars can be viewed with suspicion, whereas I don't know of any convincing QB fakes. Other leading mint coins can be faked but they're becoming more secure like the 2021 britannia. Royal mint pieces are also CGT exempt so better for tax if you plan to grow and large stack and offload suddenly.  Coins can appreciate beyond the price of gold - early QB are a case in point particularly the griffin and lion.

The forum is a good place to pick up both gold and silver - particularly silver due to VAT savings. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you so much for your help! What other gold coins would you recommend besides those 2?

I really want to get coins but I don’t know which coins to look at. And yeah the Beast 2021 seems like a good investment as it’s the last to be released in its series. 

regards

9 hours ago, muneeb said:

I’m really interested in sovereigns but don’t know much about which ones are good to buy and for how much. Are there any coins you recommend? Also do these increase in value?

I think you need to figure that out yourself. I can not help you with your personal taste really. You can buy bullion sovereigns close to spot or rare high graded ones. Did you read up on them? : https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/numismatic-information-and-coin-collecting-guides/a/sovereign

6 hours ago, Jvw said:

I think you need to figure that out yourself. I can not help you with your personal taste really. You can buy bullion sovereigns close to spot or rare high graded ones. Did you read up on them? : https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/numismatic-information-and-coin-collecting-guides/a/sovereign

Going to read on this today! Thank you:)

23 hours ago, dicker said:

“Cheap” doesn’t really exist in PM terms.

Close to spot does but it’s a very tight market in terms of spread, hence you will not be able to arb your purchases across different sales venues.

Best

Dicker

Makes sense, thank you so much!

20 minutes ago, EdwardTeach said:

Now is a great time to invest in gold. Personally I'd be looking at Britannias or Sovereigns as they are well recognised and easy so shift when it comes to selling them.

I’ve been looking at sovereigns , any

particular ones you recommend?

I’m no expert to be honest. Personally I would buy them new straight from the Royal Mint for peace of mind that they aren’t fakes.

There are other more knowledgeable people than myself on here who would be better at advising what to get if you want to buy the older coins instead.

On 11/08/2021 at 19:20, EdwardTeach said:

I’m no expert to be honest. Personally I would buy them new straight from the Royal Mint for peace of mind that they aren’t fakes.

There are other more knowledgeable people than myself on here who would be better at advising what to get if you want to buy the older coins instead.

Thank you for that:)