• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

VAT from EU Silver?

Hey guys

Does anyone know if vat is still being charged on silver from the EU? Anyone brought some recently from EU dealers? 

I know after Brexit vat was introduced but there was talk of it being taken away after deal was finalised.  

I have bought a total of about 6kg of silver from one EU bullion dealer this year and was not charged VAT by them.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

All silver imports will be subject to UK VAT. It's the UK government charging it, it's not anything tagged into the sale price. If the package is not labelled 100% authentically it may slip through, but if it's discovered it will be held until all fees and taxes are paid.

It's not just Brexit, tax has been theft for a long time 🤣

2 minutes ago, Coverte said:

I have bought a total of about 6kg of silver from one EU bullion dealer this year and was not charged VAT by them.

Thanks. But did you physically get it delivered? 

Just now, Byronvan said:

Thanks. But did you physically get it delivered? 

Yes, but not to the UK.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

6 hours ago, Liam84 said:

Crucially that's the issue, the UK had tax agreements with the EU that are no longer in play

Also, we in the E.U. can't buy from the U.K. unless we pay the import duties and extra taxes. 

I bought some silver 2ox Queens' Beasts from Coin Invest and a few sovereigns at the same time in February. UPS wouldn't deliver until I paid the VAT. When checking UPS charged VAT on the whole package and I am still trying to claim back the portion for the sovereigns as of today.

10 minutes ago, wkbglobal said:

I bought some silver 2ox Queens' Beasts from Coin Invest and a few sovereigns at the same time in February. UPS wouldn't deliver until I paid the VAT. When checking UPS charged VAT on the whole package and I am still trying to claim back the portion for the sovereigns as of today.

A little advice for next time.  Ideally never mix gold and silver in an order from outside the UK.  It's just easier for customs declarations and sorting out any issues later.  If a parcel of gold is shipped by UPS, as soon as you have the tracking and the parcel has been picked up and is in transit, phone UPS.  Get through to the customs department and tell them you have a shipment containing only investment gold and want to put in the declaration.  They'll email you a form for you to sign and return and that should be it. 

• ChrisSilver changed the title to VAT from EU Silver?
  • 1 month later...
On 25/06/2021 at 15:56, morezone said:

A little advice for next time.  Ideally never mix gold and silver in an order from outside the UK.  It's just easier for customs declarations and sorting out any issues later.  If a parcel of gold is shipped by UPS, as soon as you have the tracking and the parcel has been picked up and is in transit, phone UPS.  Get through to the customs department and tell them you have a shipment containing only investment gold and want to put in the declaration.  They'll email you a form for you to sign and return and that should be it. 

Thank you for the advice. Update, this week I finally received the VAT back that was charged on the Gold portion. Thanks again, I will not make the same mistake.