• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake Silver

ady

Having had a play with my new toy the Sigma Verifier have had my thoughts confirmed on some early purchases. Quite pleased in away that my thoughts were correct. But what does one do with such items. I kept as a reminder of my learning curve into new shiny as always had previously bought "junk" and feel this helped me having a feel for silver.

Should these be marked beyond making any doubt, destroyed totally,  or sold on ( only joking!)

I also had a few items confirmed as silver which i would have sworn were fakes, so swings and roundabouts on getting the verifier.

IMG_1282.JPG

Another Sigma user!   Which one did you get?   I got the Pro Mini.  Let’s talk shop! 😆

You should keep at least 1 fake for educational purposes, so you know how they look like the next time you come across them.

Edited by SilverStorm

33 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

Another Sigma user!   Which one did you get?   I got the Pro Mini.  Let’s talk shop! 😆

You should keep at least 1 fake for educational purposes, so you know how they look like the next time you come across them.

I got the pro. My thought was, I had items that I was dubious about and that if silver does take off in price then the fakes and frauds will also due to the profit to be made. I am hoping not to rely on it over and above my judgement but complimenting it. 

You do have to give some credit to the forgers for keeping us on our toes, look at what Mark Landis got away with.

12 hours ago, ady said:

Having had a play with my new toy the Sigma Verifier have had my thoughts confirmed on some early purchases. Quite pleased in away that my thoughts were correct. But what does one do with such items. I kept as a reminder of my learning curve into new shiny as always had previously bought "junk" and feel this helped me having a feel for silver.

Should these be marked beyond making any doubt, destroyed totally,  or sold on ( only joking!)

I also had a few items confirmed as silver which i would have sworn were fakes, so swings and roundabouts on getting the verifier.

IMG_1282.JPG

You could put them on ebay as "Fully Tested and Guaranteed Genuine Fakes" 🙂

Chards

I have a few fakes that I use for reference pieces. 

I ground a V notch in them in an area that doesn't detract from the piece. 

I also have a few American and Mexican silver pieces that stick to a magnet that I haven't carved up yet.

21 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

Did you keep a record of where you bought them? It may be an early purchase, but worth contacting the seller...

I have a record of all purchases, but we are talking 20 odd years on theses!

6 hours ago, rte said:

I have a few fakes that I use for reference pieces. 

I ground a V notch in them in an area that doesn't detract from the piece. 

I also have a few American and Mexican silver pieces that stick to a magnet that I haven't carved up yet.

Nice idea, thought I might keep them separate as easy decoy for any light fingered folk.

2 hours ago, TommyTwoShots said:

Anyone know why the sigma can’t verify 925 spoons?

On my pro mini, the tested object must cover the entire inner circle that is displayed on the scanning platform.  If even a little bit is shown, it won’t read properly and throws an arrow to the far right as error.   So as an example, I tested my 1oz 2021 TSF bar and it comes out invalid on the main sensor. But tested valid with a wand.   Perhaps you have a similar issue.

Might be a good idea to create a new thread for Sigma owners.  That way all questions and answers are easier to find for future reference.

BA08FF77-A00C-46D8-A85C-5FD85621D5A9.thumb.jpeg.b9dc12cccd2fcae5ae06bf5691a2d58e.jpegB7AEC8B4-36D2-466F-BAD1-E7376253DB81.thumb.jpeg.aa7b207cd05e02daf4817ee57467df1d.jpeg

Edited by SilverStorm

54 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

On my pro mini, the tested object must cover the entire inner circle that is displayed on the scanning platform.  If even a little bit is shown, it won’t read properly and throws an arrow to the far right as error.   So as an example, I tested my 1oz 2021 TSF bar and it comes out invalid on the main sensor. But tested valid with a wand.   Perhaps you have a similar issue.

Might be a good idea to create a new thread for Sigma owners.  That way all questions and answers are easier to find for future reference. 

You can't be too careful with those TSF bars! ☺️

Chards