• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best storage options? - rounds and coins

briggs0808

Hi, I'm new to collecting/stacking... not sure what category I fall into.  Actually, I am a coin nerd so I know I have a little collector in me... lol

So, I went on amazon.com and purchased some plastic containers to store my newly acquired rounds and silver dollars.  Only to find out that these containers contain pvc, which could harm the contents.  Yeah... I should have done my homework first but didn't realize there was this component to storing bullion and coins.  Can anyone recommend the best place to get "safe" hard containers to store coins and rounds?  Lot of websites out there, just want to make sure I'm going to the solid sources.

Appreciate your assistance.

Andy

Ebay and look for the original coin tubes or look in the trade section on here not sure on u.s constitutional / junk though other than that get some capsules available from most bullion dealers /ebay/ possibly amazon but never used them before don't even have an account lol

https://www.chards.co.uk/empty-royal-mint-storage-tube-for-25-silver-britannias/3805

Hi Andy,

Chards sell empty original tubes and cases.  Don't know how much you know many  1oz round have different diameters so you might be best getting a few different sized tubes, or sticking to a few coins the sizes you know while you get your head around it, it's not hard.   Alway best to deal with a local coin shop (LCS)

KEEP ON ASKING QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!    it's the only way we learn.......Remember gold and silvers of the same coins will have different diameters (different size tubes)  due to Gold being more dense.  

If you have random collections and not just Brits in a tube, these are very affordable. 
I have not heard about the PVC thing & had coins in them for ages?? 
Whats the score with that as they are in capsules in the PVC container? 
I assume the capsules are not PVC as they look like the same material as the airtights etc. :)

I have a lot of randoms like Perth mint, Queens Beasts Mexican, Envela corona, dog Privy .....
I even have a 10 oz Envela & some 5oz Scotsdales in them. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T1B4TZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

If you buy Brits in larger quantities then you will get the tubes anyway. 

Untitled.png

On 03/05/2021 at 08:38, Stacktastic said:

If you have random collections and not just Brits in a tube, these are very affordable. 
I assume the capsules are not PVC as they look like the same material as the airtights etc. :)

I have a lot of randoms like Perth mint, Queens Beasts Mexican, Envela corona, dog Privy .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T1B4TZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

If you buy Brits in larger quantities then you will get the tubes anyway. 

Untitled.png

PVC releases gas that will tone your precious. 

On 01/05/2021 at 16:34, briggs0808 said:

Hi, I'm new to collecting/stacking... not sure what category I fall into.  Actually, I am a coin nerd so I know I have a little collector in me... lol

So, I went on amazon.com and purchased some plastic containers to store my newly acquired rounds and silver dollars.  Only to find out that these containers contain pvc, which could harm the contents.  Yeah... I should have done my homework first but didn't realize there was this component to storing bullion and coins.  Can anyone recommend the best place to get "safe" hard containers to store coins and rounds?  Lot of websites out there, just want to make sure I'm going to the solid sources.

Appreciate your assistance.

Andy

Hi briggs:

I see you are located in the USA.   For storage capsules, I recommend Air-Tites (does not contain PVC) as they are made in the USA (I believe but not 100% certain) and predominantly used for long term storage.  You can order them from OnFireGuy, in Elsyian, MN.   I purchase all my storage capsules and storage tubes from them.   Website is: OnFireGuy | Coin Supplies, Display Stands, Fireplace Remotes

Alternatively, you can also buy directly from Air-Tite.   Website is: Welcome to Air-Tites.com | Coin & Currency Collecting Supplies

Let me know if you got any more questions.  

On 03/05/2021 at 00:38, Stacktastic said:

PVC containers will release gases over time, and it will affect your precious metals (as @StackemHigh mentioned).   That's why it's very important to confirm whether or not the capsules you are using contain PVC or not.  I have heard anecdotal stories of people who had very valuable coins stored in PVC storage, and it basically ruined them.   You can't assume that capsules are PVC free unless the manufacturer explicit states that it is.   If I were you, I would get confirmation from your capsule manufacturer or retailer that the capsules you are using is in fact PVC free.   Because if it's not stated explicitly, then there's a chance it may contain it.  Then your entire collection would be at risk.   Air-Tites (or any brand that is confirmed not made with PVC) is the way to go.  

Damn, I was unaware about this PVC issue. I bought one of these a few weeks ago but doesn't mention being PVC free

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles40-Capsules-Container-Organizer-Collection/dp/B08H551W2W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

just states "Quality material: coin capsules are made of transparent and thickening plastic material, smooth to touch, dust-proof and resistance to oxidation"

Archived