• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cheap coin capsules

Slam

Hi, 

I bought some capsules from ebay here

However I have been reading we should stay clear of cheap plastic capsules due to pvc/chemicals being bad for coins.

However the ebay listing says 

The used material is safe for your coins (chemically inert).  

Would one assume these would be good enough to protect our silver coins?

14 minutes ago, Slam said:

Hi, 

I bought some capsules from ebay here

However I have been reading we should stay clear of cheap plastic capsules due to pvc/chemicals being bad for coins.

However the ebay listing says 

The used material is safe for your coins (chemically inert).  

Would one assume these would be good enough to protect our silver coins?

I bought an Allegories and Germania coin recently (for my treasure chest) and the capsule is fantastic, took me an age to open it but i dont know where to get them from and the ones from RM are generally good to, other cheap ones will only show flaws in time i guess but i put mine in a capsule then in a box and with a small bag of silica.. prevention is better than the cure...  

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

6 hours ago, Gordy said:

I bought an Allegories and Germania coin recently (for my treasure chest) and the capsule is fantastic, took me an age to open it but i dont know where to get them from and the ones from RM are generally good to, other cheap ones will only show flaws in time i guess but i put mine in a capsule then in a box and with a small bag of silica.. prevention is better than the cure...  

I would expect the ones from bullion dealers to be of good quality compared to the ones I bought from eBay.

However I read a post from the forum and I believe someone here sells good air-tite ones. Someone called Morezone. Apologies if I got their name wrong. 

I was looking at the 40mm capsules with box storage on Amazon too but haven't purchased yet. The only reason I'm looking is because coins get milk spots supposedly if left in tubes. Otherwise I'll be more than happy to leave them in the tubes. 

7 hours ago, Gordy said:

Try atkinsons, I've bought some from them recently as well as bar capsules. They were 54p a capsule I believe for the 39mm. I wish we had more air tite options, I tried ebay twice for capsules but I was left disappointed by the rubbish seal and fit. Those ones are used to house pretty £2 circulated coins i find now 

1 hour ago, MrFreezerrr said:

Capsules don’t prevent milk spotting.

Oh? I thought they did give more protection?

I will only limit my capsule purchases if I buy gold then. :)

I've bought cheap capsules on eBay in the USA where you get about 1,000 in a bag.
Even with charges they worked out at a fraction of the cost you pay here.
They are only good for protecting coins that you may want to store loose.
Many will have rub marks so not recommended for display purposes.

For sets or display I would only choose genuine Air-Tite or Lighthouse Premium rimless.

As for discolouring silver I believe that any capsule, including Air-Tites that uses a black plastic foam ring inside the capsule will fairly quickly start to tone your coins.
I bought a number of ringed Air-Tites for my first batch of Queen's Beasts and most coins are showing some toning whereas others in regular capsules are still bright.
I also have some early Britannia proof sets issued by the Royal Mint and the smaller sized coins are in capsules with these internal black rings.
The 2 smaller sized coins are toned and this is I believe due to chemical outgassing from the ring.

49 minutes ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

Well they say that but my RAM lunar mouse was fine in its mint capsule until I removed it, then suddenly milk spot galore. I reckon the right capsules will provide some milking protection 

I would tend to agree. I'm not an expert and this is a contentious subject, but the coins that I bought early in my 'career' which I kept in flips for a while are the ones which in the main have ' milked' - although not to any great degree. Later ones which arrived in caps ore were put straight into caps appear to have fared better.

Some coins appear more prone to milking ranging from RCM/RM which are likely to milk to Perth Mint which isn't. 

@morezone has a good range of caps. I have bought some caps for QB  and Rectangular Dragons from @WILLIG666 which were pretty good. I am currently considering getting some Quadrum caps from coingallery.co.uk - think these look great and also have the advantage of all the caps being square and of the same size, which makes stargate easier. They also have a range of display cases and boxes for them. 

I suppose it's just a matter of choice and to some degree luck what condition your coins will be in in the years to come, good luck!

For a premium quality capsule, like Pete I recommend either genuine Air-tite brand capsules or the Lighthouse Premium rimless.  Both are rimless and of high quality but you will pay significantly more than the generics.

If using cheaper ones I personally would only buy the branded ones such as Light House, Lindner, Schulz etc.

Generic unbranded will be the cheapest option.  However, there is no guarantee that they will be made of the material they say they are.  Some will be decent quality and material but with so many factories churning them out for the cheapest price possible some will cut costs and there's no real way of knowing what you're getting.  You only have the word of the seller as to what the material and quality is since there's no brand linked to them.

Archived