• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Morgan Silver Dollar 1881

SamGibsonBJJ

Hi Sam

Let us know what you think of it when you get it!  

Take a look at the detail under magnification - the eagles chest feathers etc there is a lot of detail in these coins to appreciate.  They are my favourite alongside Sovereigns.

Like Sovereigns, there is a whole world of speciality to collecting Morgan’s, like the minute differences called “VAM’s”

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Good advice in this thread. It did look suspect to me.

My 1881 for reference (also a bit beat up!)

In general I find the charity donation auctions are a huge red flag. Particularly when they come with a sob story. Very few people do this genuinely and it is becoming a common eBay tactic.

Hope it doesn't put you off Morgans, they really are lovely.

20201110_125954.jpg

Here is the Morgan dollar I bought from Cambridgeshire coins. 

Beautiful details some areas of wear but generally good condition.

I have a high grade peace dollar coming off eBay so will be good to compare them.

Thanks again for the help Dicker! What grade do you feel this coin is?

60805874-FF39-4C41-B95E-62E503451AAD.jpeg

4AF57153-2F3E-43E8-974F-19B361DDDB71.jpeg

On 23/03/2021 at 17:05, Mrpound said:

I have a pot with 4 fakes in which I don’t want  back into the community

1 peace, 1 Morgan and 2 Scottsdale mint bars all from eBay and I’ve refused to send back and demanded a refund after providing proof there fake,with the help of eBay got 3/4 refunded. They have been exiled to the pot of doom forever.

How come you only got 3 refunded what happened with the 4th?

1 hour ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

How come you only got 3 refunded what happened with the 4th?

I missed the window, it slipped threw the net and i realised a few months later, it was a lesson worth learning always be vigilant, I won’t let it happen again that’s for sure 😒 but I did report the seller that’s all I could do by that point

1 minute ago, Mrpound said:

I missed the window, it slipped threw the net and i realised a few months later, it was a lesson worth learning always be vigilant, I won’t let it happen again that’s for sure 😒 but I did report the seller that’s all I could do by that point

Did you pay through PayPal? They give you 6 months 

Yeah PayPal wouldn’t do it either, can’t remember the reason was a long time ago now 

On 23/03/2021 at 19:09, dicker said:

Hi Sam,

Its a pleasure.  So a couple of places to start where you will get a good one.

My advice (having bought quite a lot) is to go for a really good quality one that is in no way special in terms of date.  Possibly even a graded one if funds permit - and then you will have a reference point.

I would suggest something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1889-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-ANACS-MS-60-FREE-S-H-2126472/363329605012?hash=item549821cd94%3Ag%3AZL8AAOSw24VgV0dH&LH_BIN=1

Where to get Morgans....

(1) @Peacemakeris or was selling his collection he may have some high quality examples?

(2) I bought lots from Cambridgeshire Coins previously - they always seem to have a good stock of Morgans and the prices are not too bad.  This one looked quite nice for the money https://cambridgeshirecoins.com/products/1896-usa-silver-morgan-dollar-ref-1?_pos=29&_sid=fbf9ae138&_ss=r

Note: I have no relationship with either 1 or 2 - they have just sold me some really nice Morgans previously.

Please do feel free to reach out to me on PM as well as publicly if you have any questions.

All the best to you

Dicker

Thank @dicker, @SamGibsonBJJ if you are still after some high quality Morgans, I have plenty from my collection I am looking to rehome

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

@SamGibsonBJJ - Feel your pain!  

Ebay is a bit of a sewer currently when it comes to fake Morgans.  I've not looked since I picked up a couple of very nice Morgans from @Peacemaker earlier this year.  

You were clearly pleased with the coin, and likely gutted now... perhaps get hold of a genuine one and properly hold it, study it, and learn about it.  You can't beat experience with coins and the fake Morgans are getting better.  

Compare your genuine one, to your likely fake.... and in particular Dickers red box areas of concern.  

Good luck! 

Archived