• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Assay Process

Shane1985

Hi guys, all well I hope.

I am a noob here and just wanted to ask if someone could shed light on the assay process.

I am getting in to pouring bars but want to follow legislation and do things right as I want to sell my bars etc.

I have been reading a lot on Assay but I can’t find what the actual process is.

Could someone shed some light please?

Will I need to send all my bars to Assay where Assay will do all their checks and then stamp the bar with hallmarks and my initials?

How do I get in to a position to stamp or laser my own bars? Is that even possible?

Thanks all, I hope you can help!

Cheers

Shane

HI, @BackyardBullion has a wealth of knowledge on the assay process and the value it brings and there is a video interview with the Head of the Edinburgh Assay office coming out on his YouTube site soon. When you say "Stamp or Laser" your own bars... do you mean with just weight/ date etc. or actual Hallmarks? The later you can't do as that's illegal and as said, Mr BYB is a great source on what it entails etc.

Scheduling issues are making finding a time to sit down and film said interview a little harder than expected 😉

Hopefully later this month anyway.

Bottom like, only an assay office can assay and put hallmarks on a piece. You can stamp your own silver with whatever else you like and even use your own laser engraver if you have it.

The basic process is as you have said though, you make a product, send it to the assay office, they test it and stamp it and send it back and then job done.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

It would still be interesting to know the Assay process from a technical stand point.
Do they make a specific gravity test on each piece and maybe use an XRF apparatus ( would this verify 100% or just the first mm of thickness ? )
Would an assay office be able to verify a 25kg gold bar, for example, containing a tungsten core ?

On some pieces they take a sample of the PM and verify that way. As you mentioned an XRF is good for first few mm but on larger, deeper pieces they use other means

Website: https://www.silverangelpouring.co.uk/  Facebook: Silver Angel

Hallmarked by the Edinburgh Assay Office...  "Its your guarantee" of fineness and quality

20 hours ago, SilverAngelPouring said:

On some pieces they take a sample of the PM and verify that way. As you mentioned an XRF is good for first few mm but on larger, deeper pieces they use other means

Do you know for sure the "other means" and are they secret / proprietary perhaps ?
What other means exist for verifying a block of any metal which is thick enough to block gamma ( X-ray ) transmission ?
Any spectroscopic analysis involves ablation of the surface ( microscopic area ) and will be very restricted in penetration depth.
Ultrasonic testing will only pick up cracks and changes in density but I don't know the density difference threshold to show up.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So as far as we know there is no "non-destructive test" to determine purity ?

To be honest the hole is tiny and you can have them repair it (for a cost), for me though its not a blocker form adding that little extra piece of quality 🙂

Website: https://www.silverangelpouring.co.uk/  Facebook: Silver Angel

Hallmarked by the Edinburgh Assay Office...  "Its your guarantee" of fineness and quality

3 hours ago, Pete said:

So as far as we know there is no "non-destructive test" to determine purity ?

Not for a thick piece of metal. You may be able to see a different metallic core by some x-ray type of inspection, and thus reject the sample, but that's not quite the same.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 13/02/2021 at 02:44, Shane1985 said:

I am a noob here and just wanted to ask if someone could shed light on the assay process.

I am getting in to pouring bars but want to follow legislation and do things right as I want to sell my bars etc.

Cheers Shane

i get the impression what you are asking is 'When do i need to get my silver work hallmarked?'
I don't think you are really that interested in the 'assay process', how it is done, whether a piece is drilled and so on.

If you are pouring 'bullion' in any shape or size, it does not need to be hallmarked - you can put your own marks on - 999 Silver - Your logo and so on.
If you work is more than a lump of metal then and is going to be sold in the UK, then it has to be hallmarked by an Assay Office.

So something like this from Silver Towne is bullion - it is not being bought for some sort of aesthetic appeal.

Image result for silver bar

Whereas something like this i just got from Silver Angel Pouring is clearly an art piece - its value is in the design and beauty of the piece.

So where does your work lie in the spectrum. If it is simple bars, bought for the silver content then you don't need to worry about hallmarking - if they have nice designs, ripples, antiquing and the like - so that people who will buy then will buy then for those features, then you should start investigating a hallmark.

3FC27928-A942-4ECA-8316-2DD1DB3C9E4F.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived