• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on Half Eagle Indian Head

SilverJacks

A member of the forum bought a gold coin from a dealer that was pretty obviously (to my eye) a reproduction / counterfeit - only a year ago.  The dealer is one many on the forum use (Not Chards or a Forum sponsor). From memory the strike was mushy at best and the palm trees had no detail. 

If this could get through the dealer QA then I suspect the Indian heads could also slip through.

Get it graded   See the banner at the top of the page in green for the grading service.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Hi SilverJacks.

Thanks - I would really appreciate an update, each discussion like this is a learning lesson for me and a definitive decision on authenticity helps.  

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• Founder & Administrator
On 13/01/2021 at 14:45, SilverJacks said:

Grading is the answer, but how do I go  about it?

@SilverJacks@CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions is the Offical NGC grading partner of The Silver Forum.

Members can also grade direct with NGC, though as there is a £12 charge per form when grading directly so it usually works out at a lower cost to go through an authorised dealer unless you are grading a significant amount of coins at one time. COR also offer an exclusive TSF branded label if going through them, and discounts on grading for different Premium Membership groups. This TSF label is available only with coins graded by COR.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator
7 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Thanks ChrisSilver. Do you know how Long the process takes?

Usually about a month or two, it is quite a long process as they are all sent to the USA. It should be the same time with any Authorised NGC Dealer (to which Coins of the Realm is.)  

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

The 'UNITED' spacing from the rim of the coin may concern you, but in my opinion  is simply a minting anomaly. I think its genuine. Testing may not help as I understand the Chinese can replicate the exact composition of the coin ie 900 gold, but make their money from the added numismatic value.

900 gold (21.6 carat) has been used for virtually all early American coins ie Eagles and Double eagles etc, and even the Mexican 50 Pesos. 

1909 is the only year in which Indian Head Half Eagles were produced at four different mints: Philadelphia, Denver, New Orleans, and San Francisco with a grand total of 4,382,098. Your coin looks like its from Denver. The mint mark location is just to the left of the arrow tips. Philadelphia has no mark, Denver is D, New Orleans is O, and San Francisco is S. Denver is the most numerous with 3.4+ million. The 1909 - O, and 1909 - S are scarcer.

Its still a lovely coin though, and statistically comparable to the Sovereign.

Bibliography: Indian Gold Coins of the 20th Century  -  Mike Fuljenz - Universal Coin & Bullion 

Thanks Britannia47. Your efforts to provide info are much appreciated.

Having the opinion of others helps me enjoy the coin more, since I’m so inexperienced.

I do hope to get it graded now. Hopefully I can come back with a pic of it slabbed in the coming weeks/months.

Hi SilverJacks - If you would like any further information not provided on the forum with regards to our grading service you are most welcome to call me on the free phone.

Best regards 

Louise.

Coins of the Realm Ltd.

0800 169 1066

• 2 months later...

AU58 O.jfifI got them back today! It took a long 10 weeks, and Louise from @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions did pretty well to put up with me asking for updates every week. I felt like a kid in the back seat going " Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Thanks Louise. 

For my first ever grading, I'm really happy with the outcome. Couldn't ask for much more, especially as It was sold to me as a VF. I understand most people grade coins to make money, and i'm not sure how well I did in that regard, but I'm really delighted with the result.

au58.jfif

Archived