• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Jewelers for Sovereigns.

SilverPirate

Has anyone here walked into a jewelers in a high street and asked if they have Sovereigns for sale?

What kind of luck did you have? i have no local coin store and i am looking for Sovereigns i can source locally to save on P&P .

I have e-mailed a local jewelers this morning and asked the question, If they sold bullion grade Sovereigns and how much?

I will wait and see if it is a winner. 

Only found sovs in the pawn shops in my local area, most will take any type of jewellery or pm. The prices they want are extortionate however. My experience they want £250+ and I am sure if you are poor suckers who pawns it there you would get far less than spot. A good spread if you can get it. Not so good for the customers on either side of the deal though. They will claim they are providing the community with a valuable service, more a sign of the times with all these cash converters opening me thinks. May be the opportunity for a social firms to fill this need and open in tandem with the food banks and money unions in the high street to take these guys out the game. I realise this may be a bit to left wing for some reading this but I prefer to look at how the disenfranchised can be supported in society and not shafted, rant over.  Sorry SP, got on a roll there!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I have a within 20 mile drive many pawnbrokers, ramdens albermarle & bond, H&T seem to rule to roost and a few independents

In my experience anything that is a chain/brand name/franchise will ALWAYS be higher in price and 9 times out of 10 uncompetitive

My nearest Ramsdens has x6 full sovereigns currently and they are priced at £235 each, tried a couple of times to negotiate down.  wont budge on price

My best place i have locally is the biggest independent jeweller/cash for gold in city centre.  They pay the best rate buy back always min 98% of spot for .999 fine coins.  Sell at 3-5% over spot for any bullion coin. Work on a HGM kind of model. They want it out the door ASAP.  Week to week goes by and stuff comes and goes from the window.  The krugerrand that was there yesterday may be replaced with a handful of sovereigns tomorrow

My advice is try to seek out independent businesses. Jewellers, pawn brokers, coin shops,  With this you never know what they may have from week to week

Better still use the wonderful interweb to get yourself some custom cheap business cards from moo.com or vistaprint write them up with 'gold/silver bullion buyer etc seeks sovs/maples/britannias/world coins and your contact details" and the gold might even come to you  leave them as and when you visit a new place on your travels

When you go in look the part, smart & clean cut, be polite & serious, know your onions and terms so you dont come across as joe soap numpty, be prepared to haggle (within reason) you'll never get anything for spot or under spot. Be prepared to buy lesser items they may offer. Make an effort to be remembered & likeable and it goes a long way.  Taking a greggs coffee or a danish pastry in to your favourite dealer every few weeks when your in town gets you mega brownie points ;)

Yep.. I think madstacks was saying he can get + or - 2%  buying or selling

I get 98% of spot when selling but have to pay 4% when buying.

I am in a fairly lucky position though and am located 5 mins away from a large bullion retailer with the best prices so dont have to pay any postage costs and can hand pick my coins. 

Just got back home checked my e-mails no message from the jeweler,Who is buying these Sovereigns at these silly prices? Wish they would buy mine, I am not going to give up on the jeweler idea, i will have a word with a few over time when i am out and about.

Hi SilverPirate,

I have 40 Sovereigns on offer and I have reduced the price to £178.   They were initially put up on the Australian Silver Stacker forum  for £185  - see http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-68264-for-sale-40-sovereign-coins-185-pounds-each.html

Might be  able to do F2F on my return from Reading to London on Monday evening depending on number of sovereigns.

This excellent offer will be withdrawn on Wednesday at the latest.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went into one of those pawn shops with the yellow signs,we buy your gold places,in Sheperd's Bush today on my way to QPR and they wanted £240 for full sovereigns and £1005 for a 1oz Krugerrand. 

Erm!  i gave it a miss.Just like QPR with the goal.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes... I have just received from HGM a 1958 sovereign but it has, what appears to be, adhesive spots around the edge in six different spots. Can I assume this has been in a ring or another piece of jewellery and how can I remove it....any ideas please?

D you mean spots of adhesive or spots where some adhesive/adhesion has been?

Likely to be where it's been stuck on a card etc. Very unlikely to be ex-jewellery, I've never seen such with 6 points of attachment. If it is, it'll be solder which is easy to spot. If it is solder, send it back or if adhesive, try getting it off with some sort of solvent or send it back if it bothers you that much.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It is spots of a clear adhesive and they are evenly spaced around the edge and seeped slightly on reverse face as if it has been stuck to/into something. Not acceptable as it is but if I can clean it off with something, I will be happy to keep it.  Just don't want to put something onto that may tarnish it that's all!

Tried a couple of gentle solvents which isn't doing the job.

This looks and feels like "super glue".  Does anyone have suggestions for removal please.

I am wondering if a little gentle heat would soften it a bit ???

I heard nail varnish remover is good for superglue but not sure if it would react with the metal in way?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

nail varnish remover dosent work the best on hard glue . try putting it in the freezer for half hour .then pick it gently with your fingernail or other soft object .

superglue and epoxies dont like to much cold or heat . it makes then brittle

it works on the knives so i dont see why it wouldent work on a coin

You could go the acetone route, but personally I`d burn it off, pickle it then scrub it up.

you`ll not have to worry about melting it either, it`s extremely unlikely! you could use a heat gun or even holding it over the gas.

then you`ll need to pickle it if you got it too hot (copper will rise and oxidise), you can use car battery acid diluted to about 10%, or even Vinegar.

then to scrub you can use a simple exfolliating scrub, or even make your own with some caster sugar and olive oil mixed into a paste, it`ll come up lovely :)

5 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

You could go the acetone route, but personally I`d burn it off, pickle it then scrub it up.

you`ll not have to worry about melting it either, it`s extremely unlikely! you could use a heat gun or even holding it over the gas.

then you`ll need to pickle it if you got it too hot (copper will rise and oxidise), you can use car battery acid diluted to about 10%, or even Vinegar.

then to scrub you can use a simple exfolliating scrub, or even make your own with some caster sugar and olive oil mixed into a paste, it`ll come up lovely :)

Or you could be lazy and just send it back to HGM ;) 

Thanks for the advice people, i will try all of the above and see what works.

HT.  I have emailed hgm but to be honest i would like to try these ideas for future reference......and hope I don't do some serious damage :unsure:

Archived