• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie Capsule Question

Vantax

Hi forum,

I'm a new member and did do my best to search for the answer to this before posting but "capsule" returns a lot of results!

Started stacking silver recently but I can see myself dabbling in the collecting space also. So far I have Britannias and Queens Beasts.

So far I have capsules for all my coins, do stackers place much if any value on capsules, are they a factor when selling on? or are they really only a protective element for collectable coins?

Thanks in advance

Stackers don't tend to put much reliance on capsules but for semi numismatic coins there are essential IMHO.

The 2oz silver beasts coins definitely needs caps. They will keep their pristine condition and value if so stored.

The semi numismatic silver 1 oz Brits pre-2013 also do better in caps, I wouldn't dream of storing them without. However, the 2013-onwards .999 silver Brits are just bullion and don't really need them, although some people still collect them so it's possibly worth using caps on your best examples. The rest can stay in stackers tubes.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

56 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Stackers don't tend to put much reliance on capsules but for semi numismatic coins there are essential IMHO.

The 2oz silver beasts coins definitely needs caps. They will keep their pristine condition and value if so stored.

The semi numismatic silver 1 oz Brits pre-2013 also do better in caps, I wouldn't dream of storing them without. However, the 2013-onwards .999 silver Brits are just bullion and don't really need them, although some people still collect them so it's possibly worth using caps on your best examples. The rest can stay in stackers tubes.

Thank you very much for your response

Stackers generally don't care about capsules. They're cheap, so they don't generally figure into the price if you include a capsule when you sell a coin. Well maybe I'd pay an extra 50 cents or so.

Silver tarnishes if it's not in a sealed container, which I learned the hard way. So I keep most of my silver in Ziploc snack bags. They're smaller than sandwich bags, nearly perfect for coins and bars, and much cheaper than capsules.

15 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

Stackers generally don't care about capsules. They're cheap, so they don't generally figure into the price if you include a capsule when you sell a coin. Well maybe I'd pay an extra 50 cents or so.

Silver tarnishes if it's not in a sealed container, which I learned the hard way. So I keep most of my silver in Ziploc snack bags. They're smaller than sandwich bags, nearly perfect for coins and bars, and much cheaper than capsules.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Jamesd said:

Every thing I have is in capsules or slabs. In cases or NGC boxes and tarnish strips for extra protection. But then I'm a little OCD 🤣

Thanks, what are NGC boxes and tarnish strips? (Google is mostly showing car parts and I'm fairly sure that's not what you mean)

i've got dozens of coins decades old in capsules that that will need to get smashed to ever get the coins out. the problem is that half of them have cracked over the years and so the coins have tarnished anyways and unevenly at that.

any new loose coins i get i just throw in little plastic bags. its a lot cheaper...

4 hours ago, Vantax said:

Thanks, what are NGC boxes and tarnish strips? (Google is mostly showing car parts and I'm fairly sure that's not what you mean)

Tarnish strips are actually anti-tarnish strips. If you Google silver anti-tarnish strips, they'll come up. They prevent tarnishing of silver by absorbing the sulfur in the air. The most common brand is 3M. They come in lots of sizes, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Anti-Tarnish-Silver-Protector-Strips/dp/B014WMDN46

NGC is Numismatic Guaranty Corporation, one of the two major numismatic entities. The boxes are fancy storage solutions. I don't know much about them. You can buy bags and boxes that have anti-tarnish abilities built-in, eliminating the need for strips, but I don't know if any NGC boxes are like that.

I use Quadrum Intercept snaplocks, they have a material in the holder which have active tarnishing protection.

Square Holders:

https://www.lighthouse.us/square-coin-capsules-quadrum-intercept.html

Round Capsules:

https://www.lighthouse.us/round-capsules-ultra-intercepttm.html

Archived