• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ordering Gold from Apmex (payment q)

silvernewbie

hi

just wondering if anyone has ever ordered from APmex (or any foreign site) how they pay for the coins?  Apmex give a big discount for Wire payment, but I know if I use my HSBC debit card I will be get a bad exchange rate plus a "non-sterling" fee. 

does anyone have any tips for payment methods they use?

thanks

5 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

hi

just wondering if anyone has every ordered from APmex (or any foreign site) how they pay for the coins?  Apmex give a big discount for Wire payment, but I know if I use my HSBC debit card I will be get a bad exchange rate plus a "non-sterling" fee. 

does anyone have any tips for payment methods they use?

thanks

Make sure you are aware of the customs and vat charges upon delivery in the UKU.K.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, daca said:

I use transferwise (BT function) for buying outside my country, easy to use and there rates are some of the best (ron to euro, in my case)

Best of luck

I use TransferWise all the time, great exchange rate and super low commission. 
I have a ‘Free first transfer’ offer if anyone wants to use it..just PM me.

5 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

How do i test tw if using for first time i cant just send apmex £5 and ask them if they received it?  Will my order submitted show if they have?

Maybe send £1 to a friend / family member first. TW are so cheep to use I wouldn’t worry about getting the first transfer free. Once you get a customer number it is really easy...First time is always tricky as confidence is lacking and you worry about it being a scam..it isn’t.

BTW what are you ordering from Apmex..I’m sure someone on this forum might be able to find the same item a little closer to home..worth a shout!

Buying gold should not attract a customs charge (if you are paying spot +40% or lower)..silver will be hit with VAT.

I once bought some silver from LPM (Hong Kong) and the bill for duty (From  FEDEX I think) arrived days after the goods had been delivered which I thought odd.

4 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Maybe send £1 to a friend / family member first. TW are so cheep to use I wouldn’t worry about getting the first transfer free. Once you get a customer number it is really easy...First time is always tricky as confidence is lacking and you worry about it being a scam..it isn’t.

BTW what are you ordering from Apmex..I’m sure someone on this forum might be able to find the same item a little closer to home..worth a shout!

Buying gold should not attract a customs charge (if you are paying spot +40% or lower)..silver will be hit with VAT.

I once bought some silver from LPM (Hong Kong) and the bill for duty (From  FEDEX I think) arrived days after the goods had been delivered which I thought odd.

Cheers i will try it out, Looking for a 1oz proof Gold Libertad never seen one in sale on here or even the uk! 

On 22/10/2019 at 05:39, daca said:

I use transferwise (BT function) for buying outside my country, easy to use and there rates are some of the best (ron to euro, in my case)

Best of luck

We use Transferwise for more than 100k€/month around the world aswell. BUT .. apmex is not accepting transferwise for payments.

But beside of that, apmex is a very serious and huge company. There is no problem paying regular wire transfer. 

They also offer a service, that they change the coin if its damaged to another one - or you get the money back.

Be carefull if you ship out of US, since apmex won't do the customs for you. You will need the proper harmonized codes and UPS accounts/importeur ids, otherwise you pay alot for brokerage.

We import coins every day, just let me know when you need help for your apmex order.

apmex board.png

5 hours ago, RoslandGold said:

BUT .. apmex is not accepting transferwise for payments

I've never said I use transferwise for apmex (I cleary stated "outside my country and Ron to euro".)

15 hours ago, Chumlysilver said:

Yes I do ......almost all the time but when I do it’s the coins I want ..and the payments go to APMEX and in three days I get it...other payments will differ....but APMEX is awesome 😎 

We always need 1 day in europa, 2 day rest of the world 😉

But yes, Apmex is awesome. They are really fast. The only problem with apmex is, that they never ship same day. As soon as they received the payment, the coins are always sent after a ay.

Do not use Apmex from the UK unless you are buying a coin/s you cannot find anywhere else and you donot mind paying the customs.  

Do a search on the forum there are a few threads on the subjest including codes.  

If you have a friend in the USA it may be cheaper that way around.  

19 minutes ago, Pipers said:

Do not use Apmex from the UK unless you are buying a coin/s you cannot find anywhere else and you donot mind paying the customs.  

Do a search on the forum there are a few threads on the subjest including codes.  

If you have a friend in the USA it may be cheaper that way around.  

If you only buy legal tender Gold, or Goldbars which have at least 91% Gold, it doesnt cost customs if you have the proper harmonized code.

If you dont provide them BEFORE you receive the package, customs is using a "generic" harmonized code which is different from US to UK/Europe and includes taxes. 

Take care that you are only allowed to have 5 different products on the invoice, otherwise you have to pay a brokerage fee.

Edit: Apmex has a an export license called SLI. Almost every order to Europe is controlled by customs before it goes out. UPS is doing the customs for you, but sometimes they try to declare a taxfree product with a different harmonized code. They do it, because as soon as you have at least 1 product on the invoice which includes vat, they are allowed to charge 11-15  USD for brokerage and/or 3~%.

Last but not least.. If you didnt provide the harmonized codes and paid customs, you can get the money back within a certain time (not sure if it's a year or longer). Changing the harmonized codes to get the money back cost about 80 EUR (~100 USD)

1586806757_apmexboard2.thumb.png.0765e7797067e3d784f2ee1e0464de0f.png

Archived