• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Gruffalo release in the morning

Robjw

£65 each? I bought 2 if the previous one for £53. Not sure if

A - they are worth that. Bought 2 of the previous one for £53 each.

B - I can justify buying 2 when I've just bought 2x lion and elephant of the Big 5 and 2 Mammoths of the Giants of the Ice Age

I have the original Gruffalo Gold and silver, but will not be adding this new addition to my collection. At a price point of £980, i don’t think the gold will sell out...good for collectors long term as they will be scarce.

The first one was £795 eight months ago, the rise in gold price does not equate to another £185..there are other things I would rather own for this kind of money...but I still would like one!

On 17/10/2019 at 13:36, EddieC said:

£65 each? I bought 2 if the previous one for £53. Not sure if

A - they are worth that. Bought 2 of the previous one for £53 each.

B - I can justify buying 2 when I've just bought 2x lion and elephant of the Big 5 and 2 Mammoths of the Giants of the Ice Age

'Worth' on these is subjective at the moment (apart from what it's worth to you) as no longer term market value has been established yet, but £65 has been the RRP now for a few years for these issues, and many have gone on to see immediate high (or incredible) profit for flippers and/or long-term profit. The two exceptions have been the first two Paddingtons (stupid mintage) and now this one. That's for the silver, gold is a different kettle of fish.

On 17/10/2019 at 14:46, Kookaburracollector said:

I have the original Gruffalo Gold and silver, but will not be adding this new addition to my collection. At a price point of £980, i don’t think the gold will sell out...good for collectors long term as they will be scarce.

The first one was £795 eight months ago, the rise in gold price does not equate to another £185..there are other things I would rather own for this kind of money...but I still would like one!

Couldn't agree more, I'd love one too but how much? Shocking price point isn't it? :o  But also, as you say, perhaps good for collectors if the gold doesn't sell out (I would imagine it will eventually). One has to wonder what the Mint are doing, when anyone who follows these releases on this forum could have told them what to do to make this release a success. Design and new options like the first day cover - excellent (just promise there will be the same for today's release, but they say nothing - so where is the incentive to buy that?). Mintage and price - stupid mintage on the silver (it's like they are too proud to admit they pitched the first one too high) and ridiculous price on the gold.

Decent result on the gold, ended the day at '90% sold out' (though I'm not sure how much I trust these rough RM %s!). Very decent actually considering the price was too much for many of us and took the instant flippers out of the equation.

Silver at 65% is disappointing, proving they will only (possibly) be profitable as longer-term holds. Silly mintage.

Interesting to see Paddington at the Tower and at St Paul's are the same % at the same mintage (best not mention the first two silver releases :wacko:).

For the gold though Tower is sold out but St Paul's is at 95% - I thought these both sold out very quickly at release?

Next up, the madness that will be Snowman 2!!!! 🤣

Hello I am fairly new here and from ordering from the Royal Mint. I have a question- On the 2019 Gruffalo Gift Set the website shows at the top that it is 85% reserved yet at the bottom where it shows approx. shipping date it shows Sold Out. Is this common with the Royal Mint or maybe it's similar to what the U.S. Mint does with their hot new releases?

On 19/10/2019 at 17:00, medgasguy said:

Hello I am fairly new here and from ordering from the Royal Mint. I have a question- On the 2019 Gruffalo Gift Set the website shows at the top that it is 85% reserved yet at the bottom where it shows approx. shipping date it shows Sold Out. Is this common with the Royal Mint or maybe it's similar to what the U.S. Mint does with their hot new releases?

Sorry a bit late to see this. Now it's showing as not currently available, presumably as they tally up sales and see if they have a few left.

I'm not sure myself how accurate those indicators they use are tbh on fast-selling products, perhaps hence the discrepancy (?). It sounds like it was maybe close between the two and the system hadn't caught up (?).

If you want one I would always go ahead and order if the system allows you to and then hope you got in before the actual sell out and the order isn't reversed. Were you able to make a purchase?

Yes I think it was this past Friday that I was able to pick one of the sets with the book, I wanted the other one with the stamp sheet? but when I finally made the decision to buy that one it was already reserved, so since I never had bought the Gruffalo when it originally came out I decided to pick up the set with the book and coin. Looks like a nice set, I'm glad I picked one up.

On 17/10/2019 at 15:06, musketsmoke said:

£65 for a 50p coin with a picture on it really people 

Nothing personal to you but I absolutely hate this argument

You aren't valuing them on their pm content or face value, they're valued on their collectability 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

18 minutes ago, Kman said:

Nothing personal to you but I absolutely hate this argument

You aren't valuing them on their pm content or face value, they're valued on their collectability 

Sure if you want to pay them more to rip people off

and encouraging them in creating a so called collection a one off its round made of silver nothing new there 

thats what they rely on because its expensive people are fooled as well as  good advertising and false news 

A COLLECTION mmmmm not

how many thousands of them ?  loads , if it were 10 or 100 id say worth it all day long

3 hours ago, musketsmoke said:

its round made of silver nothing new there

Its actually Heptagonal. And yes, it is something new as its the first time the Gruffalo has been minted onto a British Coin.

8 hours ago, medgasguy said:

It looks as though the Gruffalo 2019 Gift Set went from 100% reserved/ Sold out earlier to currently able to add to basket now. Is this due to cancellations or possibly an error in calculation of how many sets they had left?

Most likely they found they had a few left, yes for whatever reason (we will never know!). Best thing to do if you want one is snap one up asap if you see it come back for sale!

Archived