• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milkspotting and tarnishing on Proof coins

ChrisSilver

Just found this example of a coin, 2 pictures, one scanned - looks cool to me, and the same coin, but this time as a picture - just looks dirty, what a difference :o

Yes - this is the same coin

post-519-0-81440400-1433196012_thumb.jpg

post-519-0-40654500-1433196072_thumb.jpg

I'd have thought the sulphur in egg yolk would just have blackened silver.

Oxidising them more quickly in the oven might artificially produce coloured toning?

I can't remember how I saw someone making patterns.  They may have used a stencil or something.

I hate toning, if it wasn't for the sheep mentality of coin collectors who have been indoctrinated, (probably from birth) that cleaning coins is bad, and therefore the coins are not worth as much if they did, I'd be cleaning every coin I find.

The daft thing is, this "no cleaning" coins rule only seems to exist on coins minted over over the last few hundred years. Ancient coins are regularly cleaned by museums and the like, without a murmur from the collecting mafia, nor with a difference in market value.

I hate toning, if it wasn't for the sheep mentality of coin collectors who have been indoctrinated, (probably from birth) that cleaning coins is bad, and therefore the coins are not worth as much if they did, I'd be cleaning every coin I find.

The daft thing is, this "no cleaning" coins rule only seems to exist on coins minted over over the last few hundred years. Ancient coins are regularly cleaned by museums and the like, without a murmur from the collecting mafia, nor with a difference in market value.

If you disagree with these "sheep", hate toning and believe cleaning is good, then just do it!

Why should you care what they think? They're your coins.

Personally, I like toning in older silver coins and like seeing the original lustre that only exists in coins that are truly raw in terms of wear and lack of "cleaning". There's no sadder sight than a nice old sovereign in good condition that's been "cleaned" by way of a little polishing.

The reason collectors don't like cleaning is that it adversely affects the look of a coin not because of any indoctrination, and consequently the value is affected simple due to demand.

Ancient coins are a different issue and probably need cleaning to some degree simply to be able to see any detail through the muck and corrosion.

They were also not made in the same way as modern milled coins and probably don't react in the same way. I've no real knowledge of such coins so just guessing really.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

what's better to own?

1, a decent example of a genuine 1780 maria theresa thaler

2, a 2015 minted correct metal restrike dated 1780

I like good toning, it's not as striking and harsh as freshly

minted coins, and have a calmness to it.

correctly cleaning ancients takes months and maybe years.

if someone correctly cleaned modern coins of only their dirt

and left everything else intact, I'm sure some collectors wouldn't

mind. it's the cleaning that sucks the life out of the coin that

collectors object to.

coin collecting is an art and not a science, if you whittle it down

to a science then you're merely dealing with bullion and 

shouldn't expect the price premium associated with it's rarity.

HH

• 3 weeks later...

Archived