• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint release third £20 for £20 coin. Superb Churchill design

AgAuNEWS

I don't really like the artistic effect and I don't think the text really suits the image. They are certainly releasing these coins quite quickly.

I like the coin, but you are right - too many too quickly. One a year I could about handle. But I feel I have trapped myself into a collection I didn't really want to start. Still, I have started, so I may have to go on!

I saw no restrictions on overseas postage this time, does anyone know otherwise?

I'm sure that we will see a few more of these £20 coins this year - Flanders, sinking of the Lusitania, Gallipoli.

Errrr the first one came out in 2013. The second in 2014 and the third in 2015. I make that one a year. ;)

I should have quoted the post I was referring to. But well done for being able to both remember and count at the same time. :huh:

I do expect another will arrive in 2015 though.

So do I, hence my comment.

Sham, I understand your comments and where you are coming from, but redrugs comment seems to be a wishlist rather than an official Royal Mint statement. (I personally think there will be more £100 coins, which sell out quickly rather than the £20 coins which seem to take a while to sell)

The release dates of the previous three coins make perfect sense if you think about it.

The first coin was a design with an old favourite with St George and the dragon. Released just in early September 2013 in time for Xmas, and also it may surprise you, a month where births are on the increase, (something to do with being nine months after the dark days of winter, and going to bed early ;) so hitting the new born kids pressie market. It appears to be a test to see if this coin would be a success, which in its way it was.

So on to 2014. The biggest anniversary of the year would be the start of WW1. With massive rememberence projects being planned it makes sense to bring out a coin for this. It was released I think early August , around the same date of the start of WW1

So on to 2015.You may think that bringing out a new £20 coin only a few months after the last one, indicates an increase in the frequency of these coins. But again their is method behind their madness. The end of WW2 is a 70 year anniversary, but we usually do 75th's not 70's, so the only big date to remember in 2015 is the death of a man who has been voted the Greatest British person in history on numerous occasions. He died 50 years ago, and he died Jan 24th 1965. Hence the "early" release of this coin. (I do have a tenuous historical connection with the great man, so the dates of his birth and death have been etched on my mind since my earliest days)

None of the release dates seem out of the ordinary, when you look at the things they are commemorating. Knowing the RM it may change :), but so far it seems to me to be a one coin a year series

None of the release dates seem out of the ordinary, when you look at the things they are commemorating. Knowing the RM it may change :), but so far it seems to me to be a one coin a year series

Much as I agree, I fully expect RM to release another one this year, as do others here.

I'll offer you a wager. If they do release another one this year you buy it for me. If they don't, and the next is released next year, I'll buy it for you. ;)

Much as I agree, I fully expect RM to release another one this year, as do others here.

I'll offer you a wager. If they do release another one this year you buy it for me. If they don't, and the next is released next year, I'll buy it for you. ;)

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, I don't gamble. Which actually surprises a lot of my friends, who know of my background of being a bookie, and a horse racing fan. We will just have to have bragging rights and I told you so's over the other.........:) 

• 4 months later...

Just visited the Mint website and saw this comparison between the three £20 silver coins.

Below the £20 price there is a lower price of £16.67 shown.

Any idea of what this refers to ?

I have been looking on eBay to buy the first coin - St. George & the Dragon - and surprised to see some of the buy it now prices.

post-47-0-04030700-1433276752_thumb.jpg

Just visited the Mint website and saw this comparison between the three £20 silver coins.

Below the £20 price there is a lower price of £16.67 shown.

Any idea of what this refers to ?

I have been looking on eBay to buy the first coin - St. George & the Dragon - and surprised to see some of the buy it now prices.

pre vat price is £16.67

HH

• 7 months later...

As a practical experiment I took two £20 coins to the bank today.  After all the staff had a look, followed by them looking on the Royal Mint website and agreeing that they were indeed legal tender, they decided not to accept them.

It was just a small NatWest and I will try in a city centre branch at some point.  Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, Madstacks said:

I too had the same problem, and its the only reason I wont buy any of them.If they could be spent anywhere they would be a no brainer but Legal tender or not they are a PITA to get rid!

Try listing on Amazon - prices look quite high

Oh you can certainly flip them for some profit, or at least I did on the original George and the dragon one, ended up selling them for 29.99 freepost on ebay, But a lot of people (myself included) bought into them thinking they are impossible to lose on because you can spend them anywhere (or at least at banks and post offices) 

I went to two banks and two post offices, none would accept them.

My road tax needs renewing next month, I'm going to try to pay with the buckingham palace £100 coin to see what happens, I think maybe settling a debt may have a different outcome than just a straight swap for cash but we shall see, I'll let you know what happens.

I'm going to hand it over still in the presentation pack as it states legal tender.

I'll be taking it to Leicester Square post office London, God knows what they'll do with it there as no one that works there's from these shores.

So in what part of the country do cashiers lick coins? I'll have to steer well clear.

I tried this and got no where.. Lloyd s refused to accept them. Post office refused even after i got the manager to phone head office. HO said they only accept commemorative coins up to £5 and you can only pay with them and not redeem for cash.

I ended up selling them on amazon marketplace for £35 each I think i ended up with about £28 each after fees and postage

Archived