• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

fake tester in ebay

AlL

I have one of these, seems to be the same one. It works fine for sovs and half sovs, haven't tried it for anything else. I've found a few fakes using it, easier to use than a micrometer.

In fact I've only just noticed it has slots for silver brits, didn't see those before🙄

Of those I have lots so will be able to test that aspect too.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Crazy money for the Fisch and Ringer - they probably cost pennies to make.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

They are very accurate. If you use them in addition to weighing the coin in question you'll find the fakes every time.

I've had a similar one for years and has helped me spot several fake sovereigns before they were bought.

It's no different to the slots found in the old fashioned sovereign scales. It's just updated into a device that can sit in wallet

as an aside, i've tested hundreds of sovereigns with this thing and never found one that is too thick, they are always slightly too big and fail to go through the slot.

modern bullion sometimes only just go through, they are pretty tight

9 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

as an aside, i've tested hundreds of sovereigns with this thing and never found one that is too thick, they are always slightly too big and fail to go through the slot.

modern bullion sometimes only just go through, they are pretty tight

Have to agree with you. My gold dealer had just had a delivery of sovs that i was looking through and discovered a Sydney Queen vic sov that whilst it weighed around 8g, it was slightly too wide to go through the slot. It was definitely gold, but I believe it may have been an 18ct copy. It was a good copy to my somewhat untrained eye but I rejected it. (The dealer was a bit pissed he missed it, but as the seller was a regular, he was going to get in touch with him and get it sorted)    

4 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

discovered a Sydney Queen vic sov that whilst it weighed around 8g, it was slightly too wide to go through the slot. It was definitely gold,

yes for some reason there are a lot of sydney mint fakes around, the majority of the ones i've found have been these; mainly Victoria JH and VH

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

yes for some reason there are a lot of sydney mint fakes around, the majority of the ones i've found have been these; mainly Victoria JH and VH

this was a veiled head. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes open and double check all sydney sovs from now on. .  

3 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

this was a veiled head. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes open and double check all sydney sovs from now on. .  

the last few VH fakes I've seen are so good I was starting to wonder if for some reason they made some slightly large real sovs!

a few knocks on the head with a frying pan soon had me thinking straight again and putting them side by side against real ones (of the correct size I might add), I couldn't tell the difference😜

9 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

the last few VH fakes I've seen are so good I was starting to wonder if for some reason they made some slightly large real sovs!

a few knocks on the head with a frying pan soon had me thinking straight again and putting them side by side against real ones (of the correct size I might add), I couldn't tell the difference😜

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing, but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad I did what I did. If an expert like yourself is made to think twice then I don't feel so bad myself now. 

6 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

They are very accurate. If you use them in addition to weighing the coin in question you'll find the fakes every time.
I've had a similar one for years and has helped me spot several fake sovereigns before they were bought.
It's no different to the slots found in the old fashioned sovereign scales. It's just updated into a device that can sit in wallet

I agree 100%

Would this device, plus the addition of a weighing device be sufficient at testing for Gold. It seems this method of testing doesn't actually tell you if a coin is actually Gold or not. 

At the moment I don't have any way of testing my coins, having said that, I would like something that is 100% accurate at spotting fakes for someone like me who is relatively new to collecting, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

I have Victoria veil head Sydney that is very slightly to large.  I got it from a good dealer if it is a fake it's the best fake I have ever seen.  I used a micrometer 22.1mm.  I had it tested at a jewellers it was .917 on his tester.  So there maybe some very good fakes out there or the Sydney mint minted some that were a tiny bit large. 

Having seen this card I am going to order it as a micrometer is a pain in the ass! 

Thanks guys

3 hours ago, Xander said:

Would this device, plus the addition of a weighing device be sufficient at testing for Gold. It seems this method of testing doesn't actually tell you if a coin is actually Gold or not. 

At the moment I don't have any way of testing my coins, having said that, I would like something that is 100% accurate at spotting fakes for someone like me who is relatively new to collecting, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

Get yourself scales, a magnet, a 10* loop and this card. 

4 hours ago, Pipers said:

I have Victoria veil head Sydney that is very slightly to large.  I got it from a good dealer if it is a fake it's the best fake I have ever seen.  I used a micrometer 22.1mm.  I had it tested at a jewellers it was .917 on his tester.  So there maybe some very good fakes out there or the Sydney mint minted some that were a tiny bit large. 

Having seen this card I am going to order it as a micrometer is a pain in the ass! 

Thanks guys

Also @sovereignsteve I purchased a 1900 Sydney veiled head on ebay a few days ago, relatively cheap, I think because the picture was very poor. I took a risk knowing paypal would protect me. Well  coin arrived today, (very dirty, hence the bad picture, but indicates to me its age is genuine) the weight was fine, but yet again, using my card it was very very very tight getting it through the diameter slot, and using my micrometer it also was 22.1mm. However I got out my old trusty sovereign scale, and using that its absolutely fine. So I'm happy its genuine.

But yet again it's another slightly bigger Sydney coin. So what is happening with sydney vic sovs? Are they are minute fraction larger than expected? 

8 hours ago, Xander said:

only gold would weigh the correct weight and be of the correct size. if it was made of any other metal or of a lower carat gold, either the dimensions will be correct or the weight will correct. Not both. No other metal has the same density as gold. 

5 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

But yet again it's another slightly bigger Sydney coin. So what is happening with sydney vic sovs? Are they are minute fraction larger than expected? 

Only the mint would be able to confirm that or otherwise.

I have always been under the impression, gained form several sources, that it was impossible for a sovereign to be anything other than the correct width as the collars used during the strike are all strictly the same size and as they were all produced in London, there is no reason why coins produced im Sydney should be larger.

Perhaps we should organise a forum wide study of this. If everyone who has any decent quality Sydney sovs from the late Victoria era, could they be measured and more importantly, directly compared to a London coin of the same era.

41 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Perhaps we should organise a forum wide study of this

Great idea, it would also help the less experienced collectors like myself to identify fakes.

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

OK, bought last one...heard that before.😋 All I need now is the digital weight unit. Any one recommend one. Thanks.

plenty can be found on ebay for less than a tenner. Just make sure it weighs to two decimal places.  

26 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

plenty can be found on ebay for less than a tenner. Just make sure it weighs to two decimal places.  

Bought this one, £4.59. Cheers mate.

s-l640.jpg

Archived