• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

silver or gold

bones

eavning , ok the first of my questions / i make knives so certanly dont make much money . now i bought 12 1oz coins the other day and will buy more . but if you had say 500 pounds to start you off . would you buy say 500 pounds worth of gold bar , a couple of full sovs and a half sov . a couple of sovs and some more silver . i would like to collect both , so when ive got a spare quid or two i was thinking 10 silver coins as a buy then next time a half sov or a full one if  the knives are selling . probably only 6 purchases a year spread between the two metals so nothing massive , but ive no pension what so ever to come so im trying to save some cash in metals . do you think this is wise or should i look at something else

If purely stacking as a store of wealth I would only touch gold. I personally stack silver as a hedge against a financial meltdown scenario, and possibly because it is due a price correction.

If you are looking at this from purely a pension angle, sure gamble a little on silver, but gold can be picked up for 3 or 4% above spot (unlike silver), and will be the most cost effective option.

Do a lot of reading as Paul suggests. This is your future wealth, and can ultimately be only your decision. Do you want it all in PM's?

All I would add is that you need to keep your cost per oz as low as possible, in whatever PM combination you choose.

Good luck.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

silver should perform better than gold if you can wait and

time a sell near the height of the next bull run. one of the

best ideas I've heard is to buy silver when it's cheap and

swap it for gold when the gold to silver ratio moves to value

silver more. I always think gold looks expensive, even with

the price drops.

what strategy you choose is also dependent on the time frame

you have before you would like to cash some of it in. silver could

have a 40 year cycle so it could be another 20 years or more before

we hit a good time to sell.

whatever you choose, it's most important to follow a sound

strategy that's tailored to your personal circumstance.

HH

thank you gents , ive been reading for the past two days , but im not the sharpest tool in the box and i have confused my self i think . 

i do like some of these silver coins so i shall buy more of them and some cheeper ones just to build the numbers up a bit . i dont pretend to know anything about our econamy except im getting poorer :rolleyes: so i figured if the pound went south i could probably still pay or barter with the silver along with forging skills to get by (sounds a bit daft that)

im 45 so ive got a year or two left to stack some gold and silver . the gold would be easy to sell if i needed some cash quick and hopefully go up so i could make a bit extra on top . i figurd maybe a couple of hundred ounces of sillver as a gamble then just buy gold as and when i can afford some . im just a bit unsure on wether to buy gold sov,s or gold bar . but i think gold coinage would be the better way to go 

If you are only able to buy 6 times a year you need to keep postage down, buy silver from Germany on dips 3 times a year. Have a plan!

Gold the same.  from HGM, Bullion centre or Atkinsons.   

The base and foundation of anyone's stack should be gold, silver is a punt, gold is saved money

Personally I don't see silver as a punt, if played right I think the highest gains can be made from silver especially when buying at these prices.

So only my opinion but I won't be buying any gold for the time being as silver is so undervalued, but the closer I get to retirement the more my stack will turn to gold. 

thank you gents for the replies , i did think gold should be the main metal to collect . i took my self off and read some more as advised . i looked at the last three months silver price graph and although its gone down steadily over that time , i did notice the 7 out of ten monday mornings it had a bit of a drop before going up again . i nearly sound like i know what im talking about :D 

anyway i gets up monday morning early  and shure enough it had gone down . i goes to stg to pick up 20 silver coins and the websites down , hhhhmmm coincidence maybe . off to coininvest and thats down as well :angry:  ok off to baird and co for some yellow stuff . sorts out a sovereign  a little 5gram gold bar and ten silver coins . before i can push the button my misses rings and shes broken down . off i go and by the time i get back its gone rite back up in price again  :rolleyes:

is it allways this hard to buy some shiny shiny

Some may disagree but may be worth you having a look at bullionvault.

You can buy in smaller quantities on a regular basis without getting hit with higher premiums.

If your buying silver there is no VAT to pay unless you want physical delivery and quick and easy to sell for cash.

Good Morning, new to this forum , and like bones above, new to this and had same idea re Silver as seems very undervalued .

Been buying 1oz up to 1kg bars from UK.

Pipers mentioned buy from Germany. being new to this, have you the website to go to, and why Germany ? As I say new to this , but love Economics and should have bought Gold many years ago when it plummeted as it was always going to rise in the cycle.

@Mr Dead: Bullionvault makes a lot of sense in that regard but only for gold. Silver storage charges will be too expensive in relation to the amount of metal stored if you are only able to buy a few oz a month. You can build up your gold holdings gram by gram though, and vault fees are much lower.

@Kelvin: Welcome! Buying from Germany, many of us use site sponsor Silver-to-go.com, for the simple reason that you pay vastly reduced VAT.

Due to some rather arcane VAT rules, they can sell coins that are legal tender in their country of issue with tax only applied on the dealer margin, instead of the full purchase price. This rule doesn't apply to bars. Which coins to get is down to personal preference, some go cheap and cheerful, others go for something pricier hoping it will have some collector value, others get a mix.

Whilst bars are lovely and satisfying, coins have their own attractive qualities so I'm not too bothered - silver is still silver.

thank you folks i appreciate the replies . i orderd another 12 oz coins today , but got carried away and pulled the triger before i thought about things . i went to then order 10 maples and realized i would need to pay postage again :rolleyes:  ill ring stg tomorrow  and see if they can stick them in with my first order 

out of interest if you was going to buy an ounce of gold or there abouts . would you order a Britannia 1oz or say 4 sovereigns for just under the ounce . would the sovs be easier to sell or hold more value or dosnt it matter come selling time .    

out of interest if you was going to buy an ounce of gold or there abouts . would you order a Britannia 1oz or say 4 sovereigns for just under the ounce . would the sovs be easier to sell or hold more value or dosnt it matter come selling time .    

Personally I'd buy the sovs. If gives you a bit of flexibility when it comes time to sell them, you would have the choice of selling, 1, 2, 3 or 4 at a time. With a Brit you'd have to sell it as one.  When it comes to value, if you sell at spot you'll get the same from dealers no matter what coin it is. However if you are lucky you might get a rarer sov, which you may be able to sell for a premium above spot. 

Archived